What else do you collect??
7 7

608 posts in this topic

1,689 posts

I've seen snippets here and there through various threads showcasing some of the other things boardies collect - everything from pulps and paperbacks to big little books and even cars!

I'll start us off with this shot of the junque I picked up at one of the spring shows. As you can see, I'm a little broad in my collecting interests. I like toys and board games, cigar boxes and coffee cans, and magazines and other paper collectibles. Pretty much anything with interesting graphics. The Bunk magazine pictured was published by Clayton, a highly regarded publisher of early pulps. I had never seen one before, nor the Clinical Medicine magazine to the right.

I'd love to see any new arrivals on your part, or whatever you choose to share from your collections!

45251962.0146eb84.1024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,010 posts
2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I've seen snippets here and there through various threads showcasing some of the other things boardies collect - everything from pulps and paperbacks to big little books and even cars!

I'll start us off with this shot of the junque I picked up at one of the spring shows. As you can see, I'm a little broad in my collecting interests. I like toys and board games, cigar boxes and coffee cans, and magazines and other paper collectibles. Pretty much anything with interesting graphics. The Bunk magazine pictured was published by Clayton, a highly regarded publisher of early pulps. I had never seen one before, nor the Clinical Medicine magazine to the right.

I'd love to see any new arrivals on your part, or whatever you choose to share from your collections!

45251962.0146eb84.1024.jpg

Awsome Pop! You know I appreciate this! Anything with great graphics and color. Don't get me started...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,689 posts
1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Awsome Pop! You know I appreciate this! Anything with great graphics and color. Don't get me started...

Thanks, Robot Man. I'm always astounded at some of the great graphic design you can find in the wild, whether it's on an old soda bottle or a splash illustration inside a 1950's Ladies' Home Journal, sort of like this one with those perfectly pleasing music notes as a text device:

35292625.28798b6b.1024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210 posts

I collect ephemera such as sports cards (baseball, basketball, football), nonsports cards, movie posters, and old car brochures.  I purchased most of my paper before the prices went sky high.  For example, I bought a 1985 Fleer basketball set for $20, which includes Michael Jordan's rookie card.

I also collect old books by P. G. Wodehouse with dust jacket or dust wrapper as the Brits would say.  Jeeves Omnibus was first printed in 1931 and is extremely rare with dust jacket.  The dust jacket was oversized and usually discarded. :sick:

5980ab42b5f7f_JeevesOmnibus.thumb.JPG.864c7827f3c3540ae9a288b36bda3576.JPG

 

I have a nice collection of old baseball gloves.  My favorite is the Rawlings Harvey Haddix model HH used by Willie Mays to make the catch in the 1954 World Series.

5980ada390664_HarveyHaddix.thumb.JPG.6d3ff2b0940bb50079e7dd280ce89ff5.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,931 posts

i'm also a first edition book collector.

 

Edited by Straw-Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210 posts

I am a big tank fan, so I was able to obtain a copy of the Tigerfibel supposedly owned by the late German Tiger Tank Ace Otto Carius, who claimed 150 enemy tanks destroyed during WWII.    The Tigerfibel (tiger primer) is the owner's manual for Tiger 1 for crew members.  Otto Carius lived to the ripe old age of 92.

Front translates to "For Commanders and Tiger men."  "Tiger primer... what a quick thing!"  Took me several years to track one down with all the enclosed paperwork.  The interior is full of funny illustrations and maintenance information.

Like collecting comic books, it is the journey, not the having.

TigerFibela.thumb.jpg.d7a5cbd3e204dea2cc24830521a5b328.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,010 posts
4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Thanks, Robot Man. I'm always astounded at some of the great graphic design you can find in the wild, whether it's on an old soda bottle or a splash illustration inside a 1950's Ladies' Home Journal, sort of like this one with those perfectly pleasing music notes as a text device:

35292625.28798b6b.1024.jpg

I'm in graphic design. Maybe that is why I am so attracted to color and design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,010 posts
3 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I collect ephemera such as sports cards (baseball, basketball, football), nonsports cards, movie posters, and old car brochures.  I purchased most of my paper before the prices went sky high.  For example, I bought a 1985 Fleer basketball set for $20, which includes Michael Jordan's rookie card.

I also collect old books by P. G. Wodehouse with dust jacket or dust wrapper as the Brits would say.  Jeeves Omnibus was first printed in 1931 and is extremely rare with dust jacket.  The dust jacket was oversized and usually discarded. :sick:

5980ab42b5f7f_JeevesOmnibus.thumb.JPG.864c7827f3c3540ae9a288b36bda3576.JPG

 

I have a nice collection of old baseball gloves.  My favorite is the Rawlings Harvey Haddix model HH used by Willie Mays to make the catch in the 1954 World Series.

5980ada390664_HarveyHaddix.thumb.JPG.6d3ff2b0940bb50079e7dd280ce89ff5.JPGimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Old sports equipment is cool. Especially baseball. I no longer collect this stuff but buy and re-sell the vintage stuff very quickly.  Coolest glove I ever had was a Cy Young model circa turn of the century. This stuff is great fir display!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210 posts
4 hours ago, N e r V said:

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.64c243c33896f562ab085ce9738a46b0.JPGIMG_0224.thumb.JPG.1f5f521d50568c6ce40cbf64d112235e.JPGIMG_0220.thumb.JPG.0d73270fc193b46f1ece5a01fded4e57.JPGIMG_0221.thumb.JPG.d409fe9652ca40afc91dd2689e2d3ff0.JPGIMG_0222.thumb.JPG.65a07edafe3b464530abc8d43ce5bf7b.JPGIMG_0225.thumb.JPG.4166ef8b025bab362c0362489cbcaf78.JPG

Snake, Mongoose, and Red Baron still in the package.  I bought a Mongoose for my kid brother and he played with it like crazy.  Also love the Boss Hoss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,197 posts
1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

i'm also a first edition book collector.

 

Same here

+ Olympic participants medals  (oldest from 1936 Berlin)

+ movie posters (helps when your wife is a dealer) 

Edited by 1koko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,522 posts

In my case, books have always been an abiding interest, perhaps even more so than comics. This is what 35 years of book collecting will do to your home. The topics include masterworks, archives, absolute editions and omnibi, as you might expect, but also world history, mythology, palaeontology, sci fi and fantasy, art, archaeology, philosophy and psychology.

20170716_092612.jpg

20170716_093019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,522 posts

I dont collect first editions, but do like fine bindings, especially Subterranean Press and Folio Society.

20170716_093148.jpg

20170716_093116.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,979 posts

I'm obsessed with early original punk and rock and roll records,as well as players...

I've now four working around the flat,with this portable..

iDpinr6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,010 posts
30 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I'm obsessed with early original punk and rock and roll records,as well as players...

I've now four working around the flat,with this portable..

iDpinr6.jpg

Now that is really something. Somehow, the thought of The Dead Kennedys coming out of Mickey's speaker is more than amusing! :roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,979 posts
1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Now that is really something. Somehow, the thought of The Dead Kennedys coming out of Mickey's speaker is more than amusing! :roflmao:

Just this afternoon I listened to Black Flags Nervous Breakdown ep on it.It was great,Keith Morris never sounded better! :headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7