• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,549 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, atomised said:

very nice!  I'm not a collector but I have an 18th century Italian broadsword.  I think Sahagom labeled blade with the running wolf mark might point to a much earlier time on the blade itself.

IMG_1544.JPG

Decent Italian Schiavona! The blade markings (Sahagum + running wolf) date the blade in the middle of the 1600s, but the style of hilt could also be from about that time. I couldn't say for sure just from the photo.

That's also a really cute little French flintlock that you posted with your signed document!

--ElJay

23 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I must have read 'Lord of Light' half a dozen times. Zelazny was brilliant at merging sci fi themes with mythology. (See also Creatures of Light and Darkness.) This is another UK first edition.

20170802_165518.jpg

Zelazny was the man, and both Neil Gaiman and George RR Martin cited him as a major influence.  I think RR Martin is on the record as saying he borrowed the name Lord of Light found in Game of Thrones as an homage to Zelazny.  

5 hours ago, atomised said:

Zelazny was the man, and both Neil Gaiman and George RR Martin cited him as a major influence.  I think RR Martin is on the record as saying he borrowed the name Lord of Light found in Game of Thrones as an homage to Zelazny.  

Amazing to think that it is fully 50 years since it was published! In 1978, jack Kirby was commissioned to create some production designs for a planned movie version. The designs were then intended for Sciencefictionland, a theme park in Colorado to be based on the movie . It would include computer controlled rides, billboard sized holograms, levitating cars operated by voice command, and a bullet train from Japan - a sort of Expo for kids presenting new technology purely for entertainment.

Revenues from Sciencefictionland would bankroll the movie. The venture collapsed because of some dubious real estate deals in purchasing the 1000 acres it would utilize....

.... then, a CIA agent named Antonio Mendez purloined the movie -script and Kirby's production designs in order to establish a bogus film company called Argo Productions, leading to the exfiltration of 6 U.S. nationals holed up in the Canadian Embassy in Tehran. If that sounds familiar, it's because it formed the basis of the  movie Argo.

There is now talk of a new cable TV series of Lord of Light being produced by Universal...

a6236b4361a8c805bb3177d280cc78d2de85059e_r.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Amazing to think that it is fully 50 years since it was published! In 1978, jack Kirby was commissioned to create some production designs for a planned movie version. The designs were then intended for Sciencefictionland, a theme park in Colorado to be based on the movie . It would include computer controlled rides, billboard sized holograms, levitating cars operated by voice command, and a bullet train from Japan - a sort of Expo for kids presenting new technology purely for entertainment.

Revenues from Sciencefictionland would bankroll the movie. The venture collapsed because of some dubious real estate deals in purchasing the 1000 acres it would utilize....

.... then, a CIA agent named Antonio Mendez purloined the movie --script and Kirby's production designs in order to establish a bogus film company called Argo Productions, leading to the exfiltration of 6 U.S. national holed up in the Canadian Embassy in Tehran. If that sounds familiar, it's because it formed the basis of the  movie Argo.

There is now talk of a new cable TV series of Lord of Light being produced by Universal...

a6236b4361a8c805bb3177d280cc78d2de85059e_r.jpg

wow incredible, I did not know this.  Thanks for the share!

2 hours ago, Inaflash said:

Bad photos but I collect vintage telephones and cameras.

Ken

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

Nice 8mm projectors and old cameras.  I have a Leica M3.

Thinking of getting a refurbished payphone with the coin slots on top and change holder on the bottom.

Great stuff everyone and thanks to the OP for such a simple but brilliant topic! Incredible variety of items on display, full of verve and eccentricity. I'm really enjoying the fact that this thread makes me ask, what's worth showing the guys? Including things I havent looked at in yonks.

Here is the Limited Editions Club Duo The Time machine/War of the Worlds by you-know-who.

Fantastic illustrations by Joseph Mugnaini!

20170804_090655.jpg

20170804_090734.jpg

20170804_090752.jpg