• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WINNER ANNOUNCED Pg5!!! Test your Auto Body Appraisal Skills! Win a COMIC PRIZE! NOW WITH CHARITY AUCTION
2 2

95 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

Not totaled, repair $5300

Are we playing Price is Right rules?

No 

you can go over. Whoever is closest is closest.

Well id need a picture from a different angle but.. the way it got hit and the way the fender looks on the front as well as the fact it hit the piller for the "Mid-door" area.. so well.. id say that since these cars are typically designed to give so as to not allow anyone to be killed..(ps glad no one was hurt)  and no air bags got deployed meaning the hit wouldnt have damaged the frame .. which would be the most likely reason for 'totalling the car'.. :).  Hard to gets on price as its really dependent on the shops near you..

1: Not Totalled

2: State farm is pretty good I'd say better then average payout.. with car almost $11k in value.. a payout would be $8500 and shop repair costs of $7750 (both doors the lower lip, possibly the front quarter mirror, rear quarter, Door jam pillar 2 wheel caps)

I'll hope that its totalled and you just get a new car again.. and that the guy has to pay for it :) but.. without the other side being hurt.. and probably no frame damage, they like to fix things instead of just replace the car.. saves cash even if its not much.

Thanks for playing everyone, this has been real interesting to see what people think, and also pretty great to see wide variety of guesses.  I don't know a ton about auto body repair, so I'm happy to learn a little bit too. 

Some people have asked about the driver of the hit-and-run, and possible pressing charges/other consequences.  I can't get too into it, BUT I can say that in addition to the eye-witness of my neighbor, that same neighbor had a security camera catch a portion of the accident on video, including the car that hit mine.  I don't know too much about what the options are (do the people get arrested? sent to prison? shouldn't they compensate me for my trouble?), but whatever they are, we're going to press as many charges as possible, as there appears to be a pretty decent amount of evidence.  I expect to get the police report this week or early next week, I may be able to give an update then.

Chassis is damaged?

Spoiler

Insurance will say car is totaled.

Spoiler

Insurance will give you full estimated value for the car ($10,800)

You will likely then have the option to buy the car for its "new" estimated value as a salvage. Probably around $2500. That will give you the option to have the repairs done on your own for far less. 

It just less trouble for the insurance company. 

My itemized estimate.

Spoiler

The mirror is broken off so that is around $2500 right there. The doors would be around $5000 apiece. The rims need to be replaced $100-200 each. The touch up body work is going to run another $500-1000 because it is on the metal and metal damage will cost much. These are what I think the insurance company would pay. So that is around 15,000 in insurance dollars.

You could probably get it repaired out of pocket for around $3000 and then insure it as a salvage.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

24 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Chassis is damaged?

Hide contents

Insurance will say car is totaled.

Hide contents

Insurance will give you full estimated value for the car ($10,800)

You will likely then have the option to buy the car for its "new" estimated value as a salvage. Probably around $2500. That will give you the option to have the repairs done on your own for far less. 

It just less trouble for the insurance company. 

My itemized estimate.

Reveal hidden contents

The mirror is broken off so that is around $2500 right there. The doors would be around $5000 apiece. The rims need to be replaced $100-200 each. The touch up body work is going to run another $500-1000 because it is on the metal and metal damage will cost much. These are what I think the insurance company would pay. So that is around 15,000 in insurance dollars.

You could probably get it repaired out of pocket for around $3000 and then insure it as a salvage.

dang man, sounds like you're throwing some heavy shade at my RIMS (probably right though)!!

Edited by revat

1 hour ago, revat said:

Thanks for playing everyone, this has been real interesting to see what people think, and also pretty great to see wide variety of guesses.  I don't know a ton about auto body repair, so I'm happy to learn a little bit too. 

Some people have asked about the driver of the hit-and-run, and possible pressing charges/other consequences.  I can't get too into it, BUT I can say that in addition to the eye-witness of my neighbor, that same neighbor had a security camera catch a portion of the accident on video, including the car that hit mine.  I don't know too much about what the options are (do the people get arrested? sent to prison? shouldn't they compensate me for my trouble?), but whatever they are, we're going to press as many charges as possible, as there appears to be a pretty decent amount of evidence.  I expect to get the police report this week or early next week, I may be able to give an update then.

depending on county consequences can be pretty severe.  Up to a year in jail no joke.  This is definitely something a person would need a lawyer for.

How many miles are on it.  Blue Book does not jive with the value assuming you have over 100k in miles (seems about right for a 7 year old car).

I'm going to guess totaled and they will give you $5,500.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Mitsubishi Lancer - correct?

lancer sportback, 2011, 60K miles

10,800 was told to me by MY insurance company who looked at it.  I assumed it was blue book, but I suppose it could be some other 'book'.

Edited by revat

18 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

How many miles are on it.  Blue Book does not jive with the value assuming you have over 100k in miles (seems about right for a 7 year old car).

I'm going to guess totaled and they will give you $5,500.

'jibe'

44 minutes ago, revat said:

10,800 was told to me by MY insurance company who looked at it.  I assumed it was blue book, but I suppose it could be some other 'book'.

ES, GTS or Ralliart?

19 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
1 hour ago, revat said:

ES, GTS or Ralliart?

GTS! with some fake chrome plating!

Totaled (especially if I-Beam is damaged/bent)

Salvage = not sure how this works in the US, but if you are saying waht you can buy it at to repair as a salvaged title then $2,775 if you are saying what it would sell for fully repaired as a salvaged title then $6,750