• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Splash Vs Cover (Modern vs Older)

24 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2017 at 7:07 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Hopefully Felix will chime in on this question. Although, he may not want to divulge his proprietary pricing methodology.

Sorry, just getting caught up on the boards.

No set formula/ratio when I price art for sale. Too many variables. Generally, covers>splash, but it's never by any set multiple. And there are times when a splash may be worth more than a cover.

IMO, this holds true for vintage art as well as modern art. When I'm buying, I do consider comps, but I'm mostly relying on my gut. Which I've developed over the years. It's not perfect, but it's served me well enough.

Obviously, for newbies, this will take time. I understand that a formula would make things easier, but nothing comes easy in this hobby. Everyone takes their lumps along the way. Best way to learn.

The honest truth this is always a case by case basis.  Certainly, there is a correct mathematical formula for all sales, all time, etc...and that is certainly skewed by supply/demand.  In my absence from the hobby, variant covers have gone all '1990's' again and are further equating the modern splash/cover in price.

But, when you look at any cover or any splash...the bottom line is....how much would YOU pay for this singular image?  How much do YOU love it?  You know, the reality of 'how many more bank jobs do I have to pull off for this one?" thing...just my 2 pennies. 

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

Obviously, for newbies, this will take time. I understand that a formula would make things easier, but nothing comes easy in this hobby. Everyone takes their lumps along the way. Best way to learn.

Oh, I have learned...wish these boards were around in the 80's.