• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
  Hide contents

I honestly would like to believe that.  The problem is that they cast a known actor Brett Cullen (Guy most likely confused for Chris Cooper) after Alec Baldwin moved on.  I take that to be a move that requires some prominence for the role. Brett Cullen is no slouch either in the acting department. He is the guy you always see but never remember where you saw him.  Once I saw the trailer today where he punches Arthur Fleck in the face... I cannot help but think that Joker will come a calling to get some payback.  

Also, Wayne is not a surgeon this time around but a businessman.  Phillips might use the underlying message of business driving society mad or its impact on society.   Either way, I am looking forward to this.  DC has all of the ingredients right especially with Joaquin Phoenix.  The question will be whether they cooked it at the right temperature. 

emotion01.gif.19d4a7ac175e5be1cab1eb6863dea042.gif

Just now, Bosco685 said:

emotion01.gif.19d4a7ac175e5be1cab1eb6863dea042.gif

lol - I don't jump on bandwagons or derail something as great or putrid based upon what anyone else says or popular opinion.

When it comes to DC movies:

I loved Man of Steel and Aquaman

I thought Wonder Woman was... ok (Felt too much like Captain America First Avenger for me)

Upon a second viewing, I thought Justice League was tolerable

I still shake my head at Suicide Squad and BvsS...  BvS especially. 

I still have to see Shazam 

15 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

lol - I don't jump on bandwagons or derail something as great or putrid based upon what anyone else says or popular opinion.

When it comes to DC movies:

I loved Man of Steel and Aquaman

I thought Wonder Woman was... ok (Felt too much like Captain America First Avenger for me)

Upon a second viewing, I thought Justice League was tolerable

I still shake my head at Suicide Squad and BvsS...  BvS especially. 

I still have to see Shazam 

It's your likes and dislikes. Not going to try and convince you either way.

But with BVS UC, to me you are missing out.

bge1VBT.gif

And with Shazam, you should have a great time. One day. Somewhere. :baiting:

Edited by Bosco685

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I honestly would like to believe that.  The problem is that they cast a known actor Brett Cullen (Guy most likely confused for Chris Cooper) after Alec Baldwin moved on.  I take that to be a move that requires some prominence for the role. Brett Cullen is no slouch either in the acting department. He is the guy you always see but never remember where you saw him.  Once I saw the trailer today where he punches Arthur Fleck in the face... I cannot help but think that Joker will come a calling to get some payback.  

Also, Wayne is not a surgeon this time around but a businessman.  Phillips might use the underlying message of business driving society mad or its impact on society.   Either way, I am looking forward to this.  DC has all of the ingredients right especially with Joaquin Phoenix.  The question will be whether they cooked it at the right temperature. 

Spoiler

Is it canonical now in the comics that The Joker killed Bruce's parents? I thought that was just some wildly_fanciful_statement the '89 Batman movie made up. That Joe Chill was actually a pre-accident Joker.

Despite the blockbuster success of the R-rated “Deadpool” franchise and Warner Bros.’ own R-rated “It” (the highest grossing horror film worldwide with $700 million), the studio still remained hesitant about green-lighting the R-rated “Joker.” In a new interview with the Los Angeles Times, director Todd Phillips reveals he spent a full year trying to convince the studio to allow him to make the violent and edgy comic book movie. The filmmaker revealed it was “a year-long process” from when the -script was finished “just to get the new people on board with this vision.”

“There were emails about: ‘You realize we sell Joker pajamas at Target,’” Phillips said. “There were a zillion hurdles, and you just sort of had to navigate those one at a time…At the time I would curse them in my head every day. But then I have to put it in perspective and go, ‘They’re pretty bold that they did this.’”

While the “Deadpool” movies are rated R, they feature tongue-in-cheek humor and self-referential gags that lighten the tone despite relying on graphic violence. “Joker” is not the R-rated good time that “Deadpool” is and it was never pitched that way. Phillips’ movie reference points were all serious-minded R-rated adult dramas: “Taxi Driver,” “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” “Serpico,” and “The King of Comedy.”

“The movies that I grew up loving, these character studies from the ’70s, you couldn’t get those movies made in this climate,” Phillips said. “I said to myself, ‘What if you did a movie in that vein, but made it about [comic book] characters?’”

One component that encouraged Warner Bros. to take a chance on Phillips’ potentially alienating vision was the budget. “Joker” cost $55 million to produce, much lower than other comic-book movies. The Los Angeles Times reports the “Joker” budget is “roughly a third the cost of Warner’s most recent DC Comics film, ‘Aquaman.’”

As producer Emma Tillinger Koskoff explained, “There were some hiccups trying to get the green light and there were some concerns about some of the content. But once we locked and loaded our budget, they really gave us a tremendous amount of space to do what we needed to do. The passion Todd has for this movie is palpable, and when he starts talking about it he’s hard to say no to. At the end of the day, he got to make the movie he wanted to make.”

Joker was recently rated R by the MPAA for “strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language, and brief sexual images.” Getting Warner Bros. to sign off on the film was one hurdle, and it was followed almost immediately by another. The Times reports it took a “drawn-out, four-month process” to convince Joaquin Phoenix to take the title role. The actor only signed on once it was clear he would be allowed to play “a complex flesh-and-blood character in shades of gray rather than a black-and-white cartoon villain.”

“That’s really the only thing that’s worthwhile,” Phoenix said. “The other thing is connect-the-dots and paint-by-numbers, and who the [heck] cares about that? There are certain areas of the character that frankly still aren’t clear to me, and I’m fine with that. There’s something enjoyable about not having to answer a lot of those questions. It requires a certain amount of participation from the audience that feels different.”

It will be interesting if the risk here leads to awards and financial success. 

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

New trailer was better than the last, but it didn't really do much for me.

I'm okay with keeping expectations low, though.

That and keeping the plots and subplots seemingly vague.  Well not totally vague but not obvious either - I'm completely ok with it too.

Days ahead of its grand premiere at the Venice International Film Festival, and subsequently at the Toronto International Film Festival, we’ve got our first piece of opinion about Joaquin Phoenix’s upcoming Joker film, from someone who’s seen it.

TIFF artistic director Cameron Bailey has said in an interview that the film is ‘terrific’ and has noted its cinematic achievements and ‘great ambition’. “First of all it’s terrific. So it should play on our largest stage. But it’s a really original take on comic book movies and on the Joker character in particular,” Bailey told the Toronto Sun. “It’s not based on an existing story, it has one of the greatest actors in modern cinema, Joaquin Phoenix, in the lead, and Robert De Niro is in it as well, one of the best actors that has ever lived.”

Bailey added, “But it has an interesting tone and approach to it. It’s set in the late ‘70s, early ‘80s and it feels like it was made then. It’s gritty in its look. It has references to Martin Scorsese’s filmmaking and it feels like a cinematic achievement on a high level. Although it’s working with very populist material, it has great ambition.”

Review Embargo lifts today!

Review by Diego Andaluz

8.8/10 A

Premiering at the Venice International Film Festival, Todd Phillip's Joker is one of the BEST films of the year. Set from the start with the goal of evoking gritty crime films rather than everyday superhero blockbusters, Joker is definitely a new classic for the ages. While Todd Phillips common studio roots are evident in his direction and writing, which are both very good but not great (with a few generic camera movements here and a few cheesy one-liners there), i must give him credit for the simple fact that he came up with the idea and shepherded it all the way to the screen. Additionally, this is DEFINITELY Joaquin's best performance EVER (maybe tied with The Master), and if he does not sweep the awards circuit, I'll be surprised. His nervous tics and disabled laughs are able to perfectly hide the pain he has (which in perfectly timed moments he lets ooze out). On top of that, the score (mostly taken from older compositions), costuming, cinematography, and production design are incredible, but the only complaint I have is with the ending: (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Spoiler

When throughout the film it is made clear that Thomas Wayne was one of the main reasons that Arthur becomes the Joker, I expected that it would all come full circle by having joker say an iconic line before killing Wayne (after the bus crashes into the Cop Car). This would have been a PERFECT resolution to BOTH of their character arcs, yet that opportunity for an iconic climactic confrontation is thrown away by having a random follower kill him. However, apart from that and a few other major flaws, Joker undoubtedly did what it wanted to do: Create a Modern crime classic that will stand the test of time!

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/28/2019 at 4:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting.

Someone may have just put the pieces together why the Excalibur poster is in both Batman V Superman and Joker.

Spoiler

The Waynes are coming out of the theater with Bruce right by that very same poster.

Joker_BVS01.PNG.353d0ad8e1bf88cae3fbaf0ce44b9934.PNG