• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Although some of your points are selective in nature (e.g. Rotten Tomatoes score, which seemed to inflame people with Captain Marvel when some group carpet-bombed the audience score), I agree a film where the villain is the central focus can be a tough topic. Though again, other films and TV shows have done this and either had positive critic and/or audience scores.

RT_crimes01.thumb.JPG.1aaf65820cfd233a845f00dc29c9d9e1.JPG

Meanwhile, a portion of critics quoting actual false details concerning the 2012 Aurora shooting (the shooter dressed as Joker, or even that he was inspired by the Dark Knight's Joker) if you are backing that there are bigger issues than just disliking a film.

Now some would say Venom was a clear example of a villain cash grab. And I like that film, and have rewatched it more than once. But with little story thought it led to a massive success and a pending sequel. But yet many call it a silly and pointless story. Does that opinion matter?

I don't like any of your examples.  The entire left side were shows with large casts and multiple storylines.  

And none of your movie examples are apropos either (especially venom, which has been a known "anti-hero" even in comics, for decades had a goodie two shoes in Brock to control the symbiote, and was mostly played for PG 13 laughs).

American Psycho copped out at the end - "it was all a dream", and received its own share of controversy when it was first released anyway.  Natural Born killers was deliberate, over the top camp, and everybody but the critics were in on the joke, and Monster was a biography.  

No, the best example is Hannibal Rising.  Similar kinds of complaints then as now.

Although I will grant you that whining about the apparent convergence of seemingly contemporaneous events within joker, and not, say... Hustlers (both movies essentially being about "sticking it to 'The Man'" to one degree or another, is a wee bit hypocritical.  But again, Hustlers is mostly played for laughs (because drugging and extorting "rich guys" is so darn funny :eyeroll:).

I also think the early propaganda out of VIFF about the movie may have ended up backfiring on it to a degree.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't like any of your examples.  The entire left side were shows with large casts and multiple storylines.  

And none of your movie examples are apropos either (especially venom, which has been a known "anti-hero" even in comics, for decades had a goodie two shoes in Brock to control the symbiote, and was mostly played for PG 13 laughs).

American Psycho copped out at the end - "it was all a dream", and received its own share of controversy when it was first released anyway.  Natural Born killers was deliberate, over the top camp, and everybody but the critics were in on the joke, and Monster was a biography.  

No, the best example is Hannibal Rising.  Similar kinds of complaints then as now.

Although I will grant you that whining about the apparent convergence of seemingly contemporaneous events within joker, and not, say... Hustlers (both movies essentially being about "sticking it to 'The Man'" to one degree or another, is a wee bit hypocritical.  But again, Hustlers is mostly played for laughs (because drugging and extorting "rich guys" is so darn funny :eyeroll:).

I also think the early propaganda out of VIFF about the movie may have ended up backfiring on it to a degree.  

-J.

Actually, my examples are appropriate because the chief concern with Joker is it is so real-world and achievable detractors are concerned movie-goers will mirror his actions and inspire even more killers. These TV shows and films are also based on real-world violent characters that through drugs, prostitution or just for the sake of abnormal psychological gratification snuffed out men, women and even kids. And were celebrated as successful productions through reviews, audience responses and even awards. So no, Hannibal Rising is your limited example that unfortunately doesn't take the full breadth of the chief concern into consideration.

Yet Joker is the film that has people responding to it as concerning that it will inspire violence?

And yes, certain critics have pointed to Hustlers noting how peers were celebrating this film as fresh and entertaining because it is female characters sticking it to white bankers and screw people over. So hurrah! Take them out.

Venom being an anti-hero doesn't matter. It is a violent film where the lead character is controlled by a symbiote that feeds off of humans. Including biting off heads, eating people whole and even smashing them to a pulp. Though to be fair, critics crushed that film initially with a 29% FRESH/positive and yet audiences rushed to see this film and loved it.

And now with these poor families in Aurora targeting the film because they need something tangible to point to as their lives have been so impacted, unfortunately it is because of incorrect reports. The killer selected the theater because he wanted a midnight show. Dark Knight Rises was playing. And because his hair was died orange, someone said he referred to himself as 'Joker'. Yet during the trial it turned out not to be true. Yet because of this, the families are focusing their attention on this film and WB. It's sad and only takes the focus off their real target - people with access to guns. But better to avoid talking about that topic further as it would be political.

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

WB has officially responded to the film concerns.

WB_Joker_Response.JPG.ed759e84b119d6c81fd9a67a4be08b45.JPG

This still floors me WB PR finally gets energy enough to respond professionally like this. Though anyone set to be troubled by Joker won't care.

Oh Lord!

US Army warns about possible mass shootings by incels at ‘Joker’ screenings

The US Army issued a warning about the possibility of mass shootings at upcoming screenings of “Joker,” according to a new report.

In a widely distributed email on Sept. 18 marked “For official use only,” officials reminded service members to “identify two escape routes” and to “run, hide, fight” in the event of a shooting, Gizmodo reported.

“Run if you can,” the message said. “If you’re stuck, hide (also known as ‘sheltering in place’), and stay quiet. If a shooter finds you, fight with whatever you can.”

On Tuesday, the Army confirmed to Gizmodo that it issued the warning in light of social media posts from “incel” extremists that were flagged by the FBI.

The email to service members explained that incels “idolize the Joker character, the violent clown from the Batman series, admiring his depiction as a man who must pretend to be happy, but eventually fights back against bullies.”

An Army spokesperson said the message was routine.

“We want our workforce to be prepared and diligent on personal safety both inside the workplace and out,” the rep said.

In another memo Monday, top officials of the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division said it received “credible” intelligence from law enforcement in Texas about “disturbing and very specific chatter” on the dark web about “the targeting of an unknown movie theater during the release.”

“Joker,” starring Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, premieres Oct. 4 — and has already sparked concerns of movie theater violence.

The Joker is a celebrated character with incels? There's an incel extremists group?

This is even uglier than I realized.

Reporting sites are repeating the same misinformation concerning a wide-spread extremist group encouraging shootings at Joker premieres. One problem: I found the Stars & Stripes article with the actual DOD memorandum, and there is no mention of a wide-spread extremist group. Supposed it is a threat towards a single theater, which they are not even clear which one.

Shooting threat at ‘Joker’ movie premiere spurs warning from Army Criminal Investigation Command

Military commanders in Oklahoma were warned of the potential threat of violence at the theatrical release of the upcoming “Joker” movie, though law enforcement officials are not sure which theaters may be affected.

An Army Criminal Investigation Command memo issued Monday put commanders at Fort Sill, Okla., on notice about an intelligence bulletin that said a Texas law enforcement agency working with the FBI had discovered “disturbing and very specific chatter in the dark web” about the possible targeting of an unknown theater for a mass shooting during the Oct. 4 release.

An image of the memo was posted briefly to the popular Air Force amn/nco/snco Facebook page before being removed Tuesday. The command, which is also known as CID, confirmed its authenticity to Stars and Stripes.

“Out of an abundance of caution, our Fort Sill office distributed the memo to internal military personnel at Fort Sill,” said CID spokesman Christopher Grey.

The memo was based on information in a bulletin from the Texas Joint Crime Information Center, Grey said.

DOD_Memo.JPG.b74ebe82965edfc91784bfc7fbebc2fc.JPG

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Sure! How else would you describe Juggalos?

To someone making a statement like that? I guess 'DO BETTER RESEARCH'?

Juggalo

Common characteristics of identifying a member of the Juggalo subculture are as follows:

• Drinking and spraying the inexpensive soft drink Faygo.
  • Listening to horrorcore and other types of underground rap music.
  • Wearing face paint, generally those either like an evil clown or perhaps similar to corpse paint.
  • Wearing HatchetGear.
  • Having the Hatchet man logo applied on personal effects and, die cast, worn as jewelry.
  • Doing hair in the spider legs style, i.e. like the Twiztid members
  • Displaying the gesture of wicked clown, the westside sign with the left hand and the C sign in ASL with the right, with arms crossed over.
  • Making and responding to "whoop, whoop" calls.
  • Expressing a (generally) tongue-in-cheek obsession with murder, committed with a blade weapon.

Juggalos view the lyrics of Psychopathic Records artists, which are often violent in nature, as a catharsis for aggression.

:insane:

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

You missed one.

• Likely being incels

And I write that as a *comic book collector*

And yet 'incels' isn't even mentioned in the DOD memorandum sent to Fort Sill about a potential single theater shooting. Details. So associating a term with a film because it makes people easier to categorize is a weak-brained approach.

DOD_Memo.JPG.80b39468919ad3e307c01d8fc9026d51.JPG

57 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I'm sure I'm gonna be lambasted for this, but what the eff is an "incel"?

It's a nasty reference. But since you asked and the term keeps being used towards people wanting to see Joker.

Incel_definition.JPG.98119ffbc47f4c0809a9ac72e1451546.JPG

So the assumption is only 'loner incels' are into this film, not knowing anything about the comic book background of the Joker and his history.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's a nasty reference. But since you asked and the term keeps being used towards people wanting to see Joker.

Incel_definition.JPG.98119ffbc47f4c0809a9ac72e1451546.JPG

So the assumption is only 'loner incels' are into this film, not knowing anything about the comic book background of the Joker and his history.

In my day, they were just guys who couldn't get laid.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

In my day, they were just guys who couldn't get laid.

xD

Unfortunately, they can't use that in their polite social circles so a term had to be created that sounded all scientific-like and upscale.

And now that people are calling out these sites that noted 'wide-spread incel extremist group noted by the DOD' this memo seems to say otherwise, and is a generic alert somewhere on the dark web someone made a threat. So in-general, be careful.

DOD_Memo_Joker.png.b4006eb72be7e157a1913cc9c7ede171.png

Edited by Bosco685