• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

More like around $250MM worldwide to hit break even (at a ~$150MM all in). :devil:

-J.

By @Jaydogrules 'No way did Spider-Man: Homecoming spend $140M on its marketing which later turned out to be $157M' standards

:insane:

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Keep in mind, $230-240MM would put it well ahead of mass appeal critical darlings like Spider-verse and Shazam, as well as high worldwide earners like Justice League and even Venom.  It would also put is ahead of every single X men movie released, not named Deadpool.

Added in that October was a traditional dead zone for big openings until literally just last year, there is no precedence to support those kinds of numbers.  

-J.

Sure there is. Venom's the precedent.

Venom opened to $80.25 million and finished domestically with $213.5 million, a 2.66x opening weekend multiplier.

And Venom sucked donkey toes.

Joker is currently projected to open at $90+ million. And it's gotten solid critical reviews thus far. Equivalent legs of a 2.66 multiplier from a slightly higher base gets it to $239.5 million total for the run.

Keep in mind - I agree with you here, and not Bosco, that this film has limited box office potential.

But in this case sub-$250 million *is* limited, given the fame of the character and strength of the talent involved.

You're right, though. 2nd weekend has to be at least $40 million for that to be likely. We'll see.

10 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Keep in mind - I agree with you here, and not Bosco, that this film has limited box office potential.

Uhmmm - Bosco didn't note anything other than Joker is for those 17 and older, men and women. So you're saying it isn't? Maybe you're right. This is probably for kids 14 and under? (:

On 9/26/2019 at 10:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Well, since you asked and I have answered before, let's try again so even you can read it. Women and men, 17 or older, who are mature enough to enjoy a comic book film concerning real-world concerns while also honoring the source material presented in Batman: The Killing Joke and other books which even Todd Phillips clarified later is the case.

And how do I know women and men will see this?

Joker_critics.thumb.PNG.df316c85c8d89666753f3d908b05a431.PNG

It's not just male critics categorizing this as FRESH and POSITIVE.

:whistle:

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/27/2019 at 10:16 PM, paperheart said:

yes, this guy was better when he was the founder of Herbalife.  Forbes, notoriously, seems to hire movie guys who can't do numbers. Shazam, gut told him $600-700MM, should have stuck with his brain.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/03/23/review-shazam-is-electrifying/#1ec554202171

Maybe you were kidding here but he's not the founder of Herbalife.  That Mark Hughes died two decades ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_R._Hughes

On 9/27/2019 at 10:16 PM, paperheart said:

yes, this guy was better when he was the founder of Herbalife.  Forbes, notoriously, seems to hire movie guys who can't do numbers. Shazam, gut told him $600-700MM, should have stuck with his brain.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/03/23/review-shazam-is-electrifying/#1ec554202171

On 9/28/2019 at 12:03 AM, Jaydogrules said:

doh!

Oy vay lol.  I forgot about that one.  

Should have stuck with the pyramid schemes.  

-J.

:roflmao::signfunny:

See what happens when all you want to do is post negative details?

I'll have to let Mark know he's back from the grave.

Edited by Bosco685

30 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

:gossip: The dead guy would probably have a better track record with box office predictions.  

-J.

Than you? Probably.

:baiting:

Edited by Bosco685
Proper word use ;-)

3 hours ago, paperheart said:

i was kidding.  The Herbalife guy knew numbers.

Riiiiight. Don't drown in all that tomato sauce. :boo::baiting:

@Jaydogrules 'Oy vay lol.  I forgot about that one.' Add that little number to the batting average. :roflmao: