• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Which is funny, because the film's Joker devoted protesters I thought were based on Antifa (wear masks, fighting against "fascism" and "privilege" all while holding signs talking about "resisting"). I guess the idea of protest in general is a no-go in land of literal re-education camps.

I haven’t seen any interview where Todd Philips says the mass of Joker worshippers were based on Antifa. Also, Antifa dont attack privelage. They are militantly against the far right and neo-Nazi groups. Whenever they’ve made news it’s when they showed up to counter Neo-Nazi rallies and KKK marches like Charlottesville. I saw the Joker idolaters as a bizarro version of the Sons of Batman from Dark Knight Returns.

16 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I haven’t seen any interview where Todd Philips says the mass of Joker worshippers were based on Antifa. Also, Antifa dont attack privelage. They are militantly against the far right and neo-Nazi groups. Whenever they’ve made news it’s when they showed up to counter Neo-Nazi rallies and KKK marches like Charlottesville. I saw the Joker idolaters as a bizarro version of the Sons of Batman from Dark Knight Returns.

Fair enough, I think many would seem them differently. But again, trying to avoid politics here was just pointing out a connection from the film.

Looking at DC's more recent movies only Justice League was a real money loser, followed by Superman, which arguably broke even, assuming the rule of thumb you need 3X budget at the box office to turn a profit. Wonder Woman and Aquaman made oodles. Shazam made enough above 3x budget to be acceptable (I thought that would do better with the younger crowd). Anyway, while I assume Birds of Prey, if made for $70 million, will also be profitable, I do not know if the success of the Joker really means DC can crank out DC Dark movies en masse and make money. Joker is an iconic character. Perhaps THE most iconic villian. Phoenix brings in some non super hero viewers (my wife was willing to see the movie and she hates super hero movies (other than wonder woman)). Not so sure a Deathstroke movie does it. Or a Lobo movie. Maybe Lobo as the villain (or, more likely, villain turned frienamy when someone far worse than lobo shows up on the scene)

6 hours ago, the blob said:

Certainly in relation to its budget, but the R rating hurts an makes an aquaman/WW gross impossible.  Unlike deadpool where parents (me) took a child figuring it was not a "strong" R, I am no prude, but I would not take my 8 year old to this and I let him watch deadpool 2.

I called Joker early, just like I am calling Birds of Prey at least 600 million plus worldwide. I think China won't ban it like Joker and Deadpool.

Never underestimate 

Harley Quinn . lol.

Image result for harley quinn margot robbie

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It wasn't that bad. The Fox Fantastic Four reboot was worse.

That's a pretty low bar. Yes, the last FF movie was unwatchable. I watched suicide squad, found a few limited parts ok, Claire whatserherface was pretty hot, margot Robbie, who actually is hot, came off as not so hot, deadshot was ok, but most of the other characters were too rushed. did not like this version of the joker. The movie could have been a lot better.

Just now, the blob said:

That's a pretty low bar. Yes, the last FF movie was unwatchable. I watched suicide squad, found a few limited parts ok, Claire whatserherface was pretty hot, margot Robbie, who actually is hot, came off as not so hot, deadshot was ok, but most of the other characters were too rushed. did not like this version of the joker. The movie could have been a lot better.

What I loved about Suicide Squad was this Will Smith scene.

As a man of color and a parent I related to this scene,

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

aren't the masks a homage to V for Vendetta?