• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Herbalife speaks.

After grossing $37 million internationally and $14 million domestically at the weekend box office, Warner Bros.’ super-villain origin tale Joker has amassed an impressive $934 million in global theatrical receipts. So it is now inevitable – Joker will become the first R-rated film topping the huge $1 billion mark at the box office.

It’s especially impressive that Joker will manage the $1 billion feat without a release in China, making it the first first-release film since 2008’s The Dark Knight to do so.

The total weekly tally for Joker over the past seven days – meaning the above weekend figures plus the preceding weekday data – tops $70+ million. Joker would have to drop 50% every week starting immediately, to fall below $1 billion. And since it dropped a remarkably low 24% in foreign markets and only 28% in North America this past weekend, there’s no serious chance of Joker suddenly suffering 50+% declines all of a sudden.

Even the imminent competition from Midway and Doctor Sleep next weekend, and subsequent challenges from Charlie's Angels and Ford v Ferrari are unlikely to send Joker toward/over the 50% line so soon and so quickly. Joker held strong in the face of multiple big-branded challengers so far, and I don’t think it will start falling more than perhaps 40% worldwide until late-November when Frozen 2 and Knives Out are likely to cause higher week-to-week dips for the Clown Prince of Crime.

If Joker sees a 40% global dip next weekend, another 40% dip the following weekend, and then falls 50% each subsequent weekend, then just those weekend receipts alone would push the film to about $999.5 million. Add in the Monday-Thursday box office around the world for the next several weeks, and Joker easily passes $1 billion.

In fact, I anticipate Joker will dance past the $1 billion mark in two more weekends, topping the magic number by Sunday November 17th. If by chance it happens to fall more than I expect in the next two weeks, then I still don’t think it will pass $1 billion any later than Sunday November 24th. And should it hold even better than my moderate estimates, then it could potentially be in the billion-dollar club as early as Friday November 15th.

I saw the movie last night.  Movie was completely sold out.  Two of my friends got there late and couldn't get tickets.

I thought the movie was just okay.  I thought Joaquin Phoenix acting was excellent but I didn't really care for his final act as the Joker.  If he would have transformed into the Joker that Heath Ledger played I think I would have been more satisfied at the end. 

With $304.2 million in North America after five weeks in theaters, Joker’s new global cume is around $953 million. Presuming its 32% domestic/68% overseas split holds, then it will have a new global cume of around $957 million by tonight. That will be 15.3x its $62.5 million production budget, which will make the Todd Phillips-directed and Joaquin Phoenix-starring drama more profitable, in terms of budget versus global gross, than Jim Carrey’s The Mask ($351 million on a $23 million budget in 1994). The most profitable “big” comic book movies are Venom ($854 million on a $90 million budget), Batman ($411 million/$35 million), Deadpool ($783 million/$58 million), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ($200 million/$13.5 million), The Mask ($351 million/$23 million) and now Joker ($956 million/$62.5 million).

That means DC Films and Warner Bros.’ Joker is the most profitable comic book movie of all time. In a skewed way, Joker represents every studio’s dream, in that it’s a mid-budget, 2-D title that’s pulling top-tier blockbuster business without relying on China. That it happens to be an R-rated psychological drama is a bonus of sorts, as it’s the third-cheapest $900 million grosser of all time after Bohemian Rhapsody ($905 million on a $52 million budget) and The Lion King ($968 million on a $55 million budget in 1994). When it tops $1 billion worldwide in the next week or so, it’ll be the cheapest movie to do so, with a budget just under the $63 million spent by Jurassic Park back in 1993.  

Up until last December, we hadn’t seen a $1 billion grosser not from Disney or Universal since Paramount’s Transformers: Age of Extinction in 2014. We’ve had two newbies in the last year, both comic book movies with huge boosts in China. But unlike Warner Bros.’ Aquaman ($1.148 billion worldwide with $298 million in China) and Spider-Man: Far from Home ($1.131 billion with $199 million in China), Joker will earn its $1 billion-plus gross without a 3-D boost and without China. When it passes The Dark Knight ($1.004 billion worldwide in 2008), it’ll be the biggest-grossing movie ever to not play in China). Yes, that’s assuming it doesn’t eventually get a Chinese play date. But without China, it should still flirt with a global cume over/under Aladdin ($1.0506 billion).

It’ll have around $312 million domestic by the end of Sunday night, with a domestic cume still likely to end up just over/under Guardians of the Galaxy ($333 million in 2014), Spider-Man: Homecoming ($334 million in 2017), Aquaman ($335 million in 2018) and Spider-Man 3 ($336 million in 2007). It’ll outgross Suicide Squad ($325 million in 2016) and sell more tickets than Man of Steel ($291 million in 2013/$322 million adjusted-for-inflation) by the end. If it passes Aquaman, Joker will be DC Comics’ fourth-biggest domestic grosser (behind Wonder Woman, The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight) and (presuming a global total between $1.004 billion and $1.081 billion) their third-biggest global cume behind The Dark Knight Rises ($1.081 billion in 2012) and Aquaman.

It’s possible that continued Oscar season legs could push its global total past Toy Story 4 ($1.072 billion), but that’s a big “if.” The film will surely be Warner Bros.’ big Oscar flick. On one hand, its success, as a comic book movie about a tormented white dude who is “victimized by society” to the point of villainy may rub folks the wrong way. On the other hand, it’s a monumental success despite being an old school movie. For that matter, its over/under $500 million in profits make it a distinctly old-fashioned tentpole, providing Warner Bros. financial cover for the deluge of under-performing studio programmers (Blinded by the Light, The Kitchen, The Sun is Also A Star, The Goldfinch, Motherless Brooklyn, possibly The Good Liar and Just Mercy).

Joker now at 17.3X production budget, only $53M away from matching The Dark Knight, and $169M beyond Deadpool (2016)

dc_mcu_bo191109b.thumb.JPG.1f096d1a7bfc81e7afb3992f92c28a5f.JPG

Now, if only this film can find an audience and appeal to female movie-goers as well. :insane:

emotion01.gif.2086a6b32ef21e9178130abf76d899ce.gif

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Joker now at 17.3X production budget, only $53M away from matching The Dark Knight, and $169M beyond Deadpool (2016)

dc_mcu_bo191109b.thumb.JPG.1f096d1a7bfc81e7afb3992f92c28a5f.JPG

Now, if only this film can find an audience and appeal to female movie-goers as well. :insane:

emotion01.gif.2086a6b32ef21e9178130abf76d899ce.gif

Crazy that a multi-millionaire actor in Hollywood actually rocks missing teeth. Or was that part of the role (doubt it)? I respect that he hasn’t conformed...

15 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Crazy that a multi-millionaire actor in Hollywood actually rocks missing teeth. Or was that part of the role (doubt it)? I respect that he hasn’t conformed...

Remember what Tom Cruise looked like in The Outsiders before his dental work? He could peel apples with those choppers.

TomCruise.jpg.5e1c15bfed19958afd4c2a1daeec1a37.jpg