• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bane said:
16 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

She is beautiful. Looks go far in the modern world.

So this movie is being made for the cosplaying Instagram generation?

You seem to be implying that a focus on beauty is something new, but my understanding is that it's been a part of human nature since forever.  And that it's even more primal than that and plenty of other species have aesthetic preferences as well.  The evolution of peacocks is the most extreme example of that I'm aware of.

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

You seem to be implying that a focus on beauty is something new, but my understanding is that it's been a part of human nature since forever.  And that it's even more primal than that and plenty of other species have aesthetic preferences as well.  The evolution of peacocks is the most extreme example of that I'm aware of.

"Movies" that use physical appearance as a primary objective are usually only for audiences 18+ (21+ in some regions) years old, though...

19 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Not exactly what I was getting at. 

Joker production budget is showing $55M to $70M depending on the source... should you change it to $62.5 (split the difference) just so you aren't completely maximizing the multiplier? hm

Here's a clickbait (but also highly-visible) source that states $64M. https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-budget-how-much-it-has-to-make-to-be-a-success/

Here's another $64M. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-preview-joker-eyes-record-80m-october-harvest-1244659

There are definitely sources that say $55M, but some of those are 2018 predictions, so it would be weird if it came in exactly where it was predicted.

Do you always exclude marketing costs? 

Edited by valiantman

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Joker production budget is showing $55M to $70M depending on the source... should you change it to $62.5 (split the difference) just so you aren't completely maximizing the multiplier? hm

Here's a clickbait (but also highly-visible) source that states $64M. https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-budget-how-much-it-has-to-make-to-be-a-success/

Here's another $64M. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-preview-joker-eyes-record-80m-october-harvest-1244659

There are definitely sources that say $55M, but some of those are 2018 predictions, so it would be weird if it came in exactly where it was predicted.

Do you always exclude marketing costs? 

Box Office Mojo was the last holdout on posting a production budget until October 11th. If it can't validate a number with the studio, it won't post one (EX: Black Panther, Captain Marvel).

Joker_budget_reporting.PNG.83e1c6938ff20d2b1c2bd996638f61bb.PNG

The pattern is $55 million, including The-Numbers.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Box Office Mojo was the last holdout on posting a production budget until October 11th. If it can't validate a number with the studio, it won't post one (EX: Black Panther, Captain Marvel).

Joker_budget_reporting.PNG.83e1c6938ff20d2b1c2bd996638f61bb.PNG

The pattern is $55 million, including The-Numbers.

Gotcha... that's fair.  But at this point in the game, it makes for a better story for the reporting sources to keep it at $55M... so it's unlikely we'll hear the actual production cost number until Joker 2: Electric Boogaloo when they want to explain why the multiplier isn't as good as Joker 1: A No Hope.

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Gotcha... that's fair.  But at this point in the game, it makes for a better story for the reporting sources to keep it at $55M... so it's unlikely we'll hear the actual production cost number until Joker 2: Electric Boogaloo when they want to explain why the multiplier isn't as good as Joker 1: A No Hope.

:roflmao:

Hey, quick stats question. When copying a column of formulas to another column, how best to do this in Excel without changing the reference points (EX: =SUM(COUNTIFS(range,"Compliance",range,"Effective")) )? So the range fields don't shift.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Hey, quick stats question. When copying a column of formulas to another column, how best to do this in Excel without changing the reference points (EX: =SUM(COUNTIFS(range,"Compliance",range,"Effective")) )? So the range fields don't shift.

I normally copy/cut the actual formula text from the typing bar, then click into the cell I want but paste the text into the typing bar as if I just wrote it from scratch.  If you paste into a cell directly, it tries to guess what the cells will be relative to the distance you've moved.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I normally copy/cut the actual formula text from the typing bar, then click into the cell I want but paste the text into the typing bar as if I just wrote it from scratch.  If you paste into a cell directly, it tries to guess what the cells will be relative to the distance you've moved.

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. But I appreciate it.

Have a large spreadsheet with multiple divisions, and I was hoping I could copy a column of formulas across easily without changing that range. I new knew there were so many methods of copying formulas. :p

https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2016/01/20/copy-formula-excel/#copy-formula-without-changing-references

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. But I appreciate it.

Have a large spreadsheet with multiple divisions, and I was hoping I could copy a column of formulas across easily without changing that range. I new knew there were so many methods of copying formulas. :p

https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2016/01/20/copy-formula-excel/#copy-formula-without-changing-references

Method 3 is kinda slick.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Look up “absolute cell references“. If you put a $ sign in front of the column reference it won’t change, but the row will...and vice versa. And if you want the cell(s)/range to be completely static, place $ signs in front of both the column and row references...and regardless of your drag or copy/paste action the cells will be locked. I believe it’s F4 that’s the shortcut key to toggle through the various absolute reference options when implementing...

Edited by Callaway29
Added shortcut

14 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Look up “absolute cell references“. If you put a $ sign in front of the column reference it won’t change, but the row will...and vice versa. And if you want the cell(s)/range to be completely static, place $ signs in front of both the column and row references...and regardless of your drag or copy/paste action the cells will be locked. I believe it’s F4 that’s the shortcut key to toggle through the various absolute reference options when implementing...

Thank you. Reading about this now. :foryou:

Joker continued to laugh all the way to the bank, earning $4.9 million on Wednesday (-30% from Tuesday and -49% from last Wednesday), bringing its domestic cume to $213.81 million. Presuming the previous 35.4/64.6 domestic/overseas split from Sunday has held, the $60 million flick has earned $604 million worldwide in three weeks of global theatrical play. That also means that, between yesterday, today and tomorrow, it will pass a slew of arbitrary milestones. First, it’s about to pass the $611 million gross (in 2004) of The Passion of the Christ and the $619 million gross (in 2017) of Logan. That will make it, counting China’s unrated but absurdly violent Wolf Warrior 2, the sixth-biggest R-rated movie of all time.

Heading into the weekend, it’ll be behind only It ($700 million in 2017), The Matrix Reloaded ($742 million in 2003), Deadpool ($783 million in 2016), Deadpool 2 ($785 million in 2018) and Wolf Warrior 2 ($854 million in 2017). There are two “asterisks” to be noted, but of which are in Joker’s favor (Hey, my favorite Batman: The Animated Series episode!). First, Wolf Warrior 2 technically went out unrated, so if we’re being super specific then Deadpool 2 is the biggest R-rated movie of all time in raw global grosses. Second, Deadpool 2 earned $44 million worldwide, including $24 million in China, thanks to a PG-13 version of the film (Once Upon a Deadpool) which released in late 2018/early 2019.