• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archive Paper inside covers

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I was looking around at affordable solutions for my comic storage, particularly at various sources of paper that I can use to store inside my covers to protect the comic from acid coming from the pages. 

Would a tissue paper with these specifications be safe to use inside the covers?

- Buffered with calcium carbonate 2-3% alkaline reserve, pH 9 ±0.5,.Acid–Lignin free. 
- Lightweight 20-34g/per square meter 1.5 mil thicknesses Caliper 0.0012 
- Passes the PAT (Photographic Activity Test) ISO IT 18916 (formerly ISO 14523 ANSI IT9.16).
- Sulphur Content (Maximum) 0.0004

- Paper weight: 25 gsm

This stuff is made, or at least sold by a company named Archival Methods.

Thank you for any help you guys can offer... I just dont want to make a stupid mistake and put something in my comic that will wreck it... I think this will be fine, and affordable, but a second opinion can never hurt.

3 hours ago, Airoge said:

particularly at various sources of paper that I can use to store inside my covers to protect the comic from acid coming from the pages. 

I don't think this is a thing - making a barrier between the inside pages and the cover to prevent the cover from aging changes...., talk to @mschmidt as he would know.

On 24 August 2017 at 8:42 AM, Airoge said:

so the paper I posted will be bad for comics?

I dont really want it custom cut, I can do that myself... which is why I was looking beyond ebay

Microchamber paper is what CGC uses. It's thin, archive safe and affordable. The paper you mention sounds fine too. The CaCO3 buffer will neutralise acids from the paper and prevent the cover from discolouring from absorbing them. I think you'd be fine either way. Also look at "Fullback" backing boards - also buffered.

Yeah for my valuable comics that I have yet to send off to get graded I use fullback boards, mylite2s, I'll start using the tissue paper I mentioned, and as a final step I put the whole works into a toploader, toploader probably is not needed but I like how thick they are which should protect it from falls bumps and other such accidents. So in theory I shouldnt need the toploader but... life happens, and I can be clumsy at times :)