• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the Boomers cashing out?
6 6

380 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Be careful, from an emotional POV, you may regret selling your books later on. Suggestion: sell half. When you are done with that, if you still feel the same, then sell some more. Seller's remorse is a very common thing. 

I'm not looking to sell everything, but most of what I've accumulated. I intend to keep what I really want. Most of what I have I have no emotional attachment to. Even then, I have multiples of a lot of issues. How much do I really need? I'm a collector, not a dealer. I don't need the "stock." I've been a hoarder. Up to now, with the years creeping up on me, I haven't been willing to let go. It's time.

15 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I'm not looking to sell everything, but most of what I've accumulated. I intend to keep what I really want. Most of what I have I have no emotional attachment to. Even then, I have multiples of a lot of issues. How much do I really need? I'm a collector, not a dealer. I don't need the "stock." I've been a hoarder.

I don't understand why you were prompted to hoard comics to which you didn't have an emotional attachment in the first place. Sure, get rid of them! I wouldn't have acquired them in the first place.

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/18/2018 at 10:17 AM, Wolverinex said:

Nice points... so what hobby should we jump into for better long term potential for our heirs... video games?  Cryptocurrency? 

If that's why you're collecting you're doing it wrong.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If that's why you're collecting you're doing it wrong.

I have way too much stuff in my house now . I need to be mindful on what I collect now.    I don't want my kids to be left with the headache/responsibility of combing through thousands of drek

10 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wizard had NOTHING on Chuck R's pumps. In a way I'm glad I experienced that at the time and learned my lesson when I didn't have a lot of money lol 

if you guys would like I could share some of his craziest spec articles from back then so you could have a laugh I got tons of his N.I.C.E. Guts & Glory newsletter articles at home from back then (88-91)

It had to be done:

12 hours ago, Pontoon said:

The most fascinating aspect of this thread for me has been finding out Gene stores his comics at his parents' house.

Personally I think he makes a big assumption that they are still at his parents house.  I would guess either his mom threw them out or sold them on eBay as a lot.

9 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

What do people do with comics they don't read anymore and are not worth much?  Like less than 10 dollars?

Depends on how many you have.  A couple long boxes usually gets listed on E-Bay or sold here (or Facebook if they are crazy).  Mountains of long boxes usually goes to a big national dealer or an upstart local guy trying to cut his teeth. 

10 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

What do people do with comics they don't read anymore and are not worth much?  Like less than 10 dollars?

I store them for decades and never look at them.  Pretty sure that's a common theme.

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I store them for decades and never look at them.  Pretty sure that's a common theme.

Sadly, that is what I have been doing but due to recent unexpected space issues, I need to start decompressing...

compressing..., 

On 3/20/2018 at 11:14 AM, Pontoon said:

The most fascinating aspect of this thread for me has been finding out Gene stores his comics at his parents' house.

The only comics there are the ones acquired from my youth through my college years; just never bothered to have them shipped from the West Coast to the East Coast.  They have a lot more space out in California than I do in Manhattan anyway! lol 

Everyone comes into thIs world naked and broke. Today at least most of us by now have clothes. From your youngest year of acquiring stuff to when you landed your first job and you could buy things you so desired.  The path most then follow growing up focuses on a career, a home, a car, even marriage and kids. You’re likely out of your parents house and out in the real world making a positive impact. Into your late 20s & into the 30s your inner child is reminding you to reclaim your past and seek what you’ve had and what your mom threw out. Quite possibly the things you were never privileged to own could now be yours with a click of the mouse. As long as life is kind to you, this trend could continue for many years. Now everyone’s situation is different as well as complex in its own way. They single guy vs the family man both have reasons for adding or subtracting they’re stuff, but what I tend to see is lots of folks in their mid 60s on up are honestly looking to simplify. Hone down that hoard to what’s going to the grave and what’s got worth and potential. The rest gotta go. I wouldn’t use the term cashing out. Certainly not due to the potential foreseeing of a market collapse but instead the dilemma of what if. What if and how many years do I have left? Guys in their 20s and 30s don’t think like this. The calculation of the unknown causes a touch of panic and creates that need to simplify.

I can see what you are going for there, but there's an age gap those pesky 40-60 year old's that it really might be just "cashing out"  Think of it like this, they recaptured their youth, and now just as before, they no longer need it, and want to turn it into something else.  That something else could be anything from a nicer home or nicer car, to a boost to the kid's college fund sure.  Maybe you just want to do some traveling before your knees give out on you.  Sell a few books.  Who knows.  There's too many people in this world and we are trying to shove them into nice neat little boxes that we can differentiate them all :)

I don't follow a lot of this seeming pile on mentality that you need to sell before a certain age or worried about value collapse. I get that a lot of us have sizeable very valuable collections.but that's what's they are your collection,your hobby,your lifes work.do you also feel you have to sell your house,your car or any other valuable contents in your house?

I'm just another one of those run collectors that plans on dying with all my toys.damned the world I'll be in a van down by the river with all my chit before I give up what I've loved most all my life.

Remember,he who dies with the most toys wins. :banana:

4 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

I get that a lot of us have sizeable very valuable collections.but that's what's they are your collection,your hobby,your lifes work.

My life's work was my career.  It was rewarding, challenging, engaging, and mostly fulfilling.  My comic book collecting?  It was fun, but not something I feel the need to take to the grave, especially given that selling the collection generated life-changing money for me and my family.