• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Charles J. Mazoujian (Claire Moe) covers
1 1

71 posts in this topic

A b&w zerox of the completed cover for Marvel 2 was discovered. What's interesting about it is that a decision was made to retain the entire bottom of the piece and replace the bottom right corner with the triangular banner introducing the characters. Here's a mock up of the original concept cover without the triangle. With the triangle left out, it now appears that The Angel was leaping from a piece of jutted building onto the plane wheel. I always wondered how he got on that wheel! :idea: 

mock best1a.jpg

marvel 2 new copy pencil erased.jpg

Edited by Ameri

On 6/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I’m sure that there were several things about The Angel that appealed to Goodman including comparisons with other mustached Hollywood stars of the late 30’s (Errol Flynn, Tyrone Power, Don Ameche, etc.).  Also, the Idea that angels are generally seen as good omens in a faith based context.  So ideally, the character could be portrayed heroically without any direct religious affiliation.  That probably seemed like a win/win from every angle to the publisher. 

Where The Angel failed to capture the public’s imagination is his lack of super-human or supernatural capabilities when compared with other featured costumed heroes Timely produced at the time.  It’s a shame, really, as the character had great potential from the get-go.  

Who knows, if only he’d been given real wings back in ‘39 The Angel might’ve taken off. :sorry:

:tink:

The angel with wings was certainly around at Timely in 1939 but was in their pulp line. Decades later they would get their Angel with wings along a couple of titles using Marvel Tales....

BD8995D1-9037-4C92-97E6-7FE39A9FB49F.jpeg.7398c704c70fd808dc73c85d348b96e9.jpeg

Mustache hero detectives were a very popular theme in the 30’s and 40’s in various media for sure...

F7437B45-A209-4CD5-90A8-D238F5958129.jpeg.a4ea1fdbd8f23926c99ed0c5687c23f7.jpeg

267D5AEE-A4F8-40CD-BFE8-91D4C91FA9E4.jpeg.74bbf829abc968bba63ae3391e892127.jpeg

On 7/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, Ameri said:

A b&w zerox of the completed cover for Marvel 2 was discovered. What's interesting about it is that a decision was made to retain the entire bottom of the piece and replace the bottom right corner with the triangular banner introducing the characters. Here's a mock up of the original concept cover without the triangle. With the triangle left out, it now appears that The Angel was leaping from a piece of jutted building onto the plane wheel. I always wondered how he got on that wheel! :idea: 

Angels can fly :baiting:

Edited by Primetime

Some of this was posted here years ago, but I thought I might as well have it posted again:

Brooklyn Eagle newspaper from June 8, 1939 reporting Chuck Mazoujian as a graduate from the Pratt Institute at age 21:

gPNVFJs.jpg

A picture of Mazoujian‘s face, presumably at age 21:

pZJgHy5.png

Some more info regarding Mazoujian:

evXCKfQ.png

Sources:

http://alphabettenthletter.blogspot.com/2013/06/school-days-pratt-institute-and-golden.html

http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2015/05/ink-slinger-profiles-by-alex-jay-chuck.html

Edited by Electricmastro