• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF73 CGC 9.4 Mile High
3 3

150 posts in this topic

Price makes sense to me.  If this were an announced sale we'd all say WOW and recalibrate.  But just ASKING that much hoping for a buyer is what appears ... different.  To the owner, or any of us, wouldn't you value this book in your collection around there now? And hope for a buyer?  Especially is you're just as happy to hang onto it..  after all, while the AS8 sale might say this 9.4 is worth only 700-800 today, why not ask a bit more to buy it today since it will be worth the ask price in a few years..

17 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Price makes sense to me.  If this were an announced sale we'd all say WOW and recalibrate.  But just ASKING that much hoping for a buyer is what appears ... different.  To the owner, or any of us, wouldn't you value this book in your collection around there now? And hope for a buyer?  Especially is you're just as happy to hang onto it..  after all, while the AS8 sale might say this 9.4 is worth only 700-800 today, why not ask a bit more to buy it today since it will be worth the ask price in a few years..

I would say given the 1st Wonder Woman sold for just shy of $1million, and Auqaman is a much lesser character than Wonder Woman, then this book should be more in the $500k to $600k max. That is a guess on my part but since I don't play in this range it is a rectal number. 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

If you look at the scans, book looks pretty spectacular. Could it grade higher on a resubmit?

The resto work that is noted on the label will definitely tame the price. I would not resubmit this book.  First off, even if it got a 9.6, it won't help the valuation. It's still the Single Highest graded at 9.4 or 9.6 . I would also not risk a change of position on the resto work to a Purple Label.  The risk/reward is not there. Very pretty book ! Shame some insufficiently_thoughtful_person worked on it.

8 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Shame some insufficiently_thoughtful_person worked on it.

Probably Snyder to Anderson, that was the usual pattern. :eyeroll:

The former actually thought he was improving the book, while the latter would take advantage and sell the book without disclosure (not in this case thankfully, since I doubt this particular book would ever sell if not CGC'd).

Still, I don't know for sure who this particular seller is but the asking price is ridiculous all things considered.

And yes, it would be foolish to remove it from the old label holder and run the risk of getting hammered.

I seem to recall a thread where the owner of the MH MF 73 was posting some rather emotional statements about the value of the book.  My recollection is that he didn't pay all that much for it, but he sure was hyping it at the time (which was several years ago), including with appeals for sympathy.  I seem to recall him making an appeal that folks should value the book highly "because this is my life we're talking about here."  That got some pushback by the board.  Anyone else recall this?

Or my recollection could be faulty.  Someone better at searching than me could probably find the thread.

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I believe the MH MF 73 was purchased for $75K about five years ago.  Can anyone confirm that?

A second thread about the book ...

Edited by Gotham Kid

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I believe the MH MF 73 was purchased for $75K about five years ago.  Can anyone confirm that?

Flipped in 2002 for $33K, 2006 for $58K, 2009 for $39K, 2012 for $75K.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The resto work that is noted on the label will definitely tame the price. I would not resubmit this book.  First off, even if it got a 9.6, it won't help the valuation. It's still the Single Highest graded at 9.4 or 9.6 . I would also not risk a change of position on the resto work to a Purple Label.  The risk/reward is not there.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Still, I don't know for sure who this particular seller is but the asking price is ridiculous all things considered.

And yes, it would be foolish to remove it from the old label holder and run the risk of getting hammered.

+1

Would definitely agree with both of you on your points here.  (thumbsu

Still remember Borock's former Church copy of MF 52 with similar notes which managed to sell for over guide at the time even though it had similar notes since came with the universal blue label.  The Church copy of Adventure 40 was not quite so fortunate as it had the dreaded PLOD label with similar notes and hence was only able to sell for a huge discount to guide after quite a few unsuccessful attempts at selling the book.

The asking price of $1.5M is definitely nowhere near current reality given the glue and color touch plus the fact that it is a much later books in comparison to the other big DC keys. 

Edited by lou_fine