• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Last Heritage Auction

7 posts in this topic

Picked up two pieces in the most recent Heritage Auction.  First, my latest obsession has been Terry and the Pirates, most notably the time period during World War II.  Terry was created by Milton Caniff and the adventure strip ran from 1934 to 1973 (Caniff left the strip in 1946).

To support our soldiers during World War II, Caniff created “Male Call.”  The strip ran from 1943 to 1946, and it was only published in military camp newspapers.  It was a morale boosting strip; focused on the exploits of Miss Lace, and was a bit edgier, and certainly more sexy than Terry could be (allowed given the audience).  One interesting point, Caniff refused to take a fee for the strip, donating it all in service of the men and women in the armed forces.  Pieces don’t show up very often, and I was thrilled to see one this special pop up in the auction. 

The link:               http://cafurl.com?i=22969

Second, I’m a Deadman fan, and a Batman fan, and I remember the time they “teamed” together very well.  It was in in Issue 190 of the Brave and the Bold (a Batman team up book at the time).  Deadman’s “power” – if that’s what you call it – was to take over an individual’s body. In the story, he’s tracking down a murderer and almost gets Batman killed because he doesn’t have the same knowledge of self-defense and control that Batman has of his own body.  I know how it sounds, but it’s really a good story.  Anyway, the cover is fantastic and by Nick Cardy, and I read this one at the barber shop (where I did most of my best reading).

The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=22968

As always, feel free to look around and see if anything else interests you.

Ron Sonenthal

PS  I’ve also picked up two more Hellboy commissions from the Cartoon Art Museum auctions.  There are three more great pieces in auctions ending tomorrow.  They are all great, and right now, great deals.  Jump in!!