• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever became of Alan Light?
2 2

88 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Senormac said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

There was no bigger Beetches than those that called themselves Sneetches.  :sumo: 

lol

tough beetches, those sneetches, an if they don't like you, you ends up in deetches

reminds me of reading all those books to the kids when they were little....,

Dr Seuss

Panty-stain bears

Little creature

The wife and kids call me Horton, because I sneeze like one.

I hated the Panty-stain bears, and always called them that.  The three kids remember that with fondness, as they can't look at one of the books without recalling "Panty-stain bears".

I dood it myself!!

25 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

reminds me of reading all those books to the kids when they were little....,

Dr Seuss

Panty-stain bears

Little creature

The wife and kids call me Horton, because I sneeze like one.

I hated the Panty-stain bears, and always called them that.  The three kids remember that with fondness, as they can't look at one of the books without recalling "Panty-stain bears".

I dood it myself!!

:baiting:

59c6e54e0a9d2_thepantystainbears.jpg.9edb07c2b82984a8cde71dd20504de22.jpg

I have no idea where Light is now, but I do remember the lawsuit he was involved in in the 1970s that caused something of a sensation in fandom.  I'm a bit vague on the details but Light ran an editorial in TBG disparaging a new competitor, The Nostalgia Journal.  Light was known for being very tough in dealing with competitors.  TNJ was started, I think, by Larry Herndon, Joe Bob Williams, and Bob Overstreet.  Not sure whether Overstreet was directly involved in running it or just put up the dough.

In any event, Herndon sued Light for libel on the basis of that editorial.  I believe the case went all the way to trial.  I vaguely remember someone telling me that Light showed up at the courthouse in Texas with his mother.  In the end I think the suit was settled but Light kept up his attacks on TNJ, sending advertisers info that TNJ's circulation was much less than claimed.  I think Gary Groth and Bill Cole took over TNJ and renamed it the ... Comic Journal, or something like that.  Then they had a fight and Cole sued Groth.

If only the boards had been around then and they could have they could have conducted these fights on here. :)

In any event, Light was definitely a polarizing figure in the hobby in those days.

I probably have some of these facts screwed up, so any fellow graybeards (Mitch? Bedrock?) with better recollections should chime in and correct me.

58 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I have no idea where Light is now, but I do remember the lawsuit he was involved in in the 1970s that caused something of a sensation in fandom.  I'm a bit vague on the details but Light ran an editorial in TBG disparaging a new competitor, The Nostalgia Journal.  Light was known for being very tough in dealing with competitors.  TNJ was started, I think, by Larry Herndon, Joe Bob Williams, and Bob Overstreet.  Not sure whether Overstreet was directly involved in running it or just put up the dough.

In any event, Herndon sued Light for libel on the basis of that editorial.  I believe the case went all the way to trial.  I vaguely remember someone telling me that Light showed up at the courthouse in Texas with his mother.  In the end I think the suit was settled but Light kept up his attacks on TNJ, sending advertisers info that TNJ's circulation was much less than claimed.  I think Gary Groth and Bill Cole took over TNJ and renamed it the ... Comic Journal, or something like that.  Then they had a fight and Cole sued Groth.

If only the boards had been around then and they could have they could have conducted these fights on here. :)

In any event, Light was definitely a polarizing figure in the hobby in those days.

I probably have some of these facts screwed up, so any fellow graybeards (Mitch? Bedrock?) with better recollections should chime in and correct me.

There is a great book by Ron Frantz out there called "Fandom: Confidential". Copies are available on ebay for around $15 - $20.

In it, there is a chapter entitled "Battles That Shocked Through Collecting". The chapter runs about 40+ pages and details a lot of the Light/Groth battles.

Here's an excerpt of a description of the chapter (below) that is included in one of the ebay listings (NOTE: I am just providing this as an fyi. I am not one of the ebay sellers selling the book)

"Alan Light, publisher of The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom, feuds with various competitors. The most significant was Gary Groth and The Comics Journal. Events lead to a million dollar slander suit, filed by Light in 1984."

Edited by DanCooper

Interesting to see this thread on Alan Light.  Got me thinking about an odd version of the Overstreet price guide #1 I got several years ago in Chicago.   It's not quite white and it's not quite blue.  $6 cover price is what really threw me.  Light's old copy apparently.....Resized_20170716_1247181.thumb.jpg.6ad66cc18b7e5418650fe92477300e9e.jpgResized_20170716_1247061.thumb.jpg.fbb6ad6dc7ce82bf5a36d1467a792f1f.jpg

4 hours ago, DanCooper said:
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

There is a great book by Ron Frantz out there called "Fandom: Confidential". Copies are available on ebay for around $15 - $20.

In it, there is a chapter entitled "Battles That Shocked Through Collecting". The chapter runs about 40+ pages and details a lot of the Light/Groth battles.

Here's an excerpt of a description of the chapter (below) that is included in one of the ebay listings (NOTE: I am just providing this as an fyi. I am not one of the ebay sellers selling the book)

"Alan Light, publisher of The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom, feuds with various competitors. The most significant was Gary Groth and The Comics Journal. Events lead to a million dollar slander suit, filed by Light in 1984."

Looks like I got backwards who was suing who.  I'm probably doing him an injustice, but my recollection is that a lot of people considered Light to have very sharp elbows and inclined to do what he could to stifle competition to TBG.

Edited to add:  Alan, if you're out there somewhere, don't sue me! :)

Edited by Sqeggs

Based on the article, Alan Light is very much alive.  Since the story said that he was 15 in 1968, he should be around 64 now.  There is an up to date photo of him and he appears to have aged well.

Unfortunately, there is no information about anything he did after he stopped doing the buyer's guide. 

On September 27, 2017 at 4:12 PM, greggy said:

Based on the article, Alan Light is very much alive.  Since the story said that he was 15 in 1968, he should be around 64 now.  There is an up to date photo of him and he appears to have aged well.

Unfortunately, there is no information about anything he did after he stopped doing the buyer's guide. 

I believe he went to the entertainment industry at some point as an assistant ..then boom, no info...

Well, while we are waiting for Alan to pop in and say HI.....  I thought I'd share an interview with him from the pages of TBG # 141  from 1976 

59d0754fa3992_lightinterview1.thumb.jpg.142bc83a72ee45f8696edd35dfbbcec5.jpg

59d07573a5802_lightinterview2.thumb.jpg.fe3651bcb076bd246c3dc7fb6e39b7dd.jpg

59d075938f642_lightinterview3.thumb.jpg.2029bc38c7f08000f96291eb78c0c0a5.jpg

59d075a68f0bd_lightinterview4.thumb.jpg.99d7f53b4f51c96564ead89999201e88.jpg

8 hours ago, Senormac said:

There's lots more but I'm getting tired.  I'll post more tomorrow if there's interest   zzz

Please do. I like reading about the history of our hobby. Thanks for posting this. I didn't discover the Comics Buyers Guide until 1984 and I think I have almost every issue from then until it ceased publication. I'd just wish that I had known about it in the 70's. Prior to the CBG the only way I knew of to get back issues back then was through ads in Overstreet.