• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Irma - Florida declares state of emergency
5 5

171 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, zosocane said:

One lesson learned from this, is that residents and FPL need to do a significantly better job of keeping trees trimmed, and not planting trees immediately next to roadways.  A false sense of security seeped into South Floridians since the last tropical storm of importance (Wilma, 2005) and it's unbelievable how we continue to plant trees or let trees grow, untrimmed, underneath power lines or beside roadways.  Very hard for FPL technicians to restore power when downed trees need to be cut and removed first.

Not sure why many of the utilities are not buried. 

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

What a mess. This storm touched most of the Florida peninsula. When you think of the power being out from the keys to the North part of Orlando it boggles the mind. 

Still no no power in my area and when we're not supposed to get hit hard. Yea, right. 

We were out of power for 11 days when Isabel hit here..... first couple of nights were kind of charming.... all the stars and the silence.... but it got old quick. Hope you get it back soon, and I'm sorry you have to go through this. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

50 minutes ago, joeypost said:

expense, and regulations.

We have the same sort of thing here in Houston (although here, the type of soil also makes a difference).  One of those things where common sense has no place in determining how things are going to be.

8 hours ago, joeypost said:

Still no no power in my area and when we're not supposed to get hit hard. Yea, right. 

Sorry to hear that.

GAtor who is up in the pan handle didn't have internet earlier this week.

It's a wonder that CGC is up and running.

Edited by VintageComics

1 hour ago, SteppinRazor said:
2 hours ago, joeypost said:

expense, and regulations.

Could it be because of the high water table in Florida?

7 minutes ago, JcomicJ said:

We are practically any island at this point Miami looks like Italy right now

I believe Florida is both the flattest and lowest state in the country.  The average height above sea level is something absurdly low.

8 hours ago, CKB said:

I believe Florida is both the flattest and lowest state in the country.  The average height above sea level is something absurdly low.

For point of reference, I live in a non-evac zone in my County. My house sits 61 FT above sea level which is considered high around these parts, even though the Bay is about a 5 minute drive from my house, while the Gulf of Mexico is about 15 minutes from my house.  

I live in the only pocket that still has no power in the Lake Mary area. Two days ago there were over 18,000 without power. Today it is 812 and I am probably number 812.  While I am sympathetic to everyone getting power back, why leave one or two small developments in the dark while the trucks are physically in the area  

I called in  to find out why we are the only area in the city of Lake Mary with no power and I got a shoulder shrug. Asked if a crew was working on it and got a simple "no, don't see it on the list". :whatthe:

Gotta love power companies. Did very little tree pruning the last few years and Irma came right up and bit them where the sun doesn't shine. 

Edited by joeypost