• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone tell me what this is, and what it may be worth? Estate find

17 posts in this topic

Ok I am not sure if I hit the lotto on something, or if I just got something really cool to frame, and hang on the wall. Please see attached images, and please if anyone can help, I would really appreciate it! No I did not pay what the tag has on it! lol

5E7BD8CB-148C-46E0-B9A1-4E76372803ED.JPG

833BF02C-3687-4D4B-B107-5686506CF7DE.JPG

7 hours ago, kav said:

Anyone else have the feeling the OP paid a few hundred or maybe even a few thousand bucks for this?

Maybe the seller did him a huge favour and knocked a zero off the price-tag!  :facepalm:

Ever feel you've been had . . .

I'm going to go a bit against the grain on this and suggest this may not be totally worthless. It's very possible that this is a production art piece made in order to reprint that Flash GA issue for a modern re-issue,. or graphic novel, etc. So, it depends on the provenance. It may even go back to the 70's.

6 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'm going to go a bit against the grain on this and suggest this may not be totally worthless. It's very possible that this is a production art piece made in order to reprint that Flash GA issue for a modern re-issue,. or graphic novel, etc. So, it depends on the provenance. It may even go back to the 70's.

Surely the pristine condition and the color matrix at the top shows this was very recently created using digital technology.

Worthless...I wouldn't even pay $1 for it. Heck, I wouldn't even take it off someone's hands if they paid me a buck, as I wouldn't want the presence of something like this in my collection casting doubt over any of my other pieces. 

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It's not from the 1970s.  It's worth exactly what it would cost you to print a high rez (at least I hope it's high rez) scan on a piece of plastic. 

If this had been part of a 70s reprint run,  any production transparencies would actually be separated into the CMYK plate colors. So there would in effect be 4 separate transparencies, one for each color on the press. And this long into their life, I would expect some yellowing to the clear film, even if archivally preserved. At no point in production would all be combined into a single color film transparency.

These generally only exist on eBay from unscrupulous entrepreneurs.

Well, obviously I concede to anyone with superior knowledge on printing practices re: the 1970's. But could it be a modern reprint production transparency?  I'm not suggesting it's worth much. Just that it may actually be legitimate as opposed to just some guy copying it for some reason that it unclear to me. Again, I'd have to see the provenance of it.

Is it possible that it could be the work of a restorer who was reproducing a missing cover for that issue?

8 hours ago, glendgold said:

It's worth exactly what it would cost you to print a high rez (at least I hope it's high rez) scan on a piece of plastic. 

It was worth more blank, before printed on, at least in that sense it could one day become anything...like a stem cell ;)