• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Birth of the Marvel Age club! Congrats! Show em off.

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

Thanks boys!!! :headbang:

Question. What do you consider to be the first silver age Marvel super hero that was created? 

I am going to post what I think it is, and would like your opinions! :popcorn:

IMG_2100.PNG

I have no argument with this being Marvel's/Atlas's earliest Silver Age super hero (with a direct connection to the Avengers, no less). Also, if Joe Maneely hadn't died young, I think it's a sure bet that he would have been involved in the post FF1 super hero revival at Marvel. I don't think that Black Knight started any trends, but I would put him in the same category as Dr Droom. Almost like a "prototype" super hero.

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Once I had 'em all, but now I'm down to just my favorites. Money was NOT a consideration when deciding what to keep.

59bad0a35602f_IMG_08911.thumb.jpg.40c82e57fb0dfd5a2035269b1adcfc92.jpg

Does anyone responding to this thread store their Silver Age comics in a safe deposit box?  I just leased my first safe deposit box, and based on some informational posts on these boards, placed one of these mini, renewable dehumidifiers https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/eva-dry-333-mini-dehumidifier in such box along with my comics.  Will this dehumidifier cause the relative humidity in my safe deposit box to fall too low - to the point where it is harmful to my comics?  Curious as to what others who use such dehumidifiers in their safe deposit boxes have experienced....               

Edited by CashMoney

One thing I found lacking in any of the replies was DD 7 - which needs to be added to this group imo. Perhaps my appreciation of Wally Wood is a little behind that opinion.

I would also lobby for ST 114 to be included- despite it "not" being the real Captain America-- it was the first time the character appeared on a cover since the golden age and without a doubt helped bring him back into the fold. I suppose you could argue that Avengers 4 does the same though. So many great books that it seems impossible to narrow the list without doing a disservice to their importance. There are many JIM books I would include as well beyond just 83.

For many of us-- making a list is as close as we are going to get to this though. The costs are very prohibitive. I applaud those who have these awesome collections that they have put together over so many years. Thanks for sharing them!

Edited by 01TheDude

On 9/14/2017 at 1:40 PM, CashMoney said:

Does anyone responding to this thread store their Silver Age comics in a safe deposit box?  I just leased my first safe deposit box, and based on some informational posts on these boards, placed one of these mini, renewable dehumidifiers https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/eva-dry-333-mini-dehumidifier in such box along with my comics.  Will this dehumidifier cause the relative humidity in my safe deposit box to fall too low - to the point where it is harmful to my comics?  Curious as to what others who use such dehumidifiers in their safe deposit boxes have experienced....               

Get one of those digital humidity/temp readers, they're really small and cheap.  Then you can see just how dry it is.  I'm not sure how dry is dangerous, but either way you'd need your box's level to see. 

On 9/19/2017 at 6:03 PM, 01TheDude said:

One thing I found lacking in any of the replies was DD 7 - which needs to be added to this group imo. Perhaps my appreciation of Wally Wood is a little behind that opinion.

I would also lobby for ST 114 to be included- despite it "not" being the real Captain America-- it was the first time the character appeared on a cover since the golden age and without a doubt helped bring him back into the fold. I suppose you could argue that Avengers 4 does the same though. So many great books that it seems impossible to narrow the list without doing a disservice to their importance. There are many JIM books I would include as well beyond just 83.

For many of us-- making a list is as close as we are going to get to this though. The costs are very prohibitive. I applaud those who have these awesome collections that they have put together over so many years. Thanks for sharing them!

I think there could be 2-5 tiers of "birth of the marvel age" sets to cover most.  I'm sure it'll be fun coming up with some lists.  What's yours?