• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walt Simonson posts Thor 264 Cover OA to honor Len Wein

4 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Sweet!  :applause:

It may partially be the Sinnott inks, but it looks like Walt was aping Rich Buckler at the time.  :smile:

At that time, Buckler was often aping Kirby (which seemed to be Marvel's policy), and Kirby was of course a big influence on Simonson too.  And regarding the inks, you have a great point:  Sinnott inks add his own touch of Kirby/Marvel house style to almost any artist's pencils.

A few modifications were made to the published version, including shifting the position of Thor's face, putting the thrown hammer in a different spot, and removing the texture from Loki's shirt.  Looks like the rocky ground under Thor's feet may have been simplified a little bit too.

Thor #264.jpg

Edited by The Shoveler
add/modify text

I still fondly remember Len Wein's run on Amazing Spider-Man.  One of my favorite moments of that period was Spidey returning the thrashed Spider-Mobile to the Madison Avenue 14th floor offices of Carter & Lombardo at the end of ASM #160 ("And good riddance!").  I wonder if they got a crane to get the car down before the webbing evaporated.

And my older brother remains a life-long Hulk fan after growing up with Len's run on that title.

Thanks to Len for all of his contributions to the comic industry during his career.  RIP, Len Wein.