Fritz the Cat comic sells for $717,000?

11 posts in this topic

shadroch   
  • 38,288 posts

Can this be correct? The latest issue of AARP newletter says this, in an article on what to save and what to throw away.

' A 1969 Fritz The Cat comic book in nearly pristine condition went for a whopping $717,000 in 2017"

Then they quote someone I never heard of, Courtney Wilson about grail pieces.

chrisco37   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 30,390 posts

Didn't hear about that.   And it would've been talked about here, I think.

I can maybe see a piece of Crumb OA going for that kind of price.  Maybe.  Not a comic book though. 

@comicwiz would probably know.  Any idea, Josef? 

Edited by chrisco37

143ksk   
  • 14,280 posts

That was the OA to the cover, not a copy of the comic.

chrisco37   
  • 30,390 posts

There you go. 

comicwiz   
  • 12,349 posts
7 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Didn't hear about that.   And it would've been talked about here, I think.

I can maybe see a piece of Crumb OA going for that kind of price.  Maybe.  Not a comic book though. 

@comicwiz would probably know.  Any idea, Josef? 

Yes it's OA. I'm having trouble logging-in to Heritage at the moment, I but I did post about this on these boards right after it hit that record number.

fritz.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

Martin Sinescu   
  • 978 posts

Hmmm, I wonder if you could write an article for the AARP newsletter titled "Baby Boomers Cashing Out?" about how retiring collectors are desperately selling their GA and SA collections before the icy grip of Death wraps 'round their throats, then sneak your contact information in the last paragraph for anyone wanting to "cash out" hm

namisgr   
  • 27,353 posts

Their newsletter reaches tens of millions of people.  hm

comicwiz   
  • 12,349 posts

FWIW I've had similar issues in the past (not with AARP, but any paper that isn't in tune with collectibles). I have in the past floated article ideas with something written-up as reference, and they still manage to screw it up.

BTW: Here's the article (available online as well):

http://www.aarp.org/money/investing/info-2017/big-money-collectibles-photo.html

comicwiz   
  • 12,349 posts

And that AR example was a "Vintage Tampa" series episode where the two sisters bring their deceased Mom's Rose Helmet Tiffany Studios lamp to be valuated. That originally aired in 1999 if I recall correctly and was valuated between 80k-$125k, and they showed it had doubled in price ($250-$300k), but that's almost 20 years later. Anyhow, it wasn't a recent episode, that's for sure, and you have better chances of winning the lottery twice in a row or finding an Action 1 in your drywall than finding a Rose Helmet Tiffany Studios lamp kicking around in your attic. That was a very expensive lamp in 1905.

Again, this is typical with someone covering the collectibles beat without any experience on a topic, and when I'm asked to be interviewed, I usually ask that they provide me a draft of the article before it runs as the worst part is when you're used as a quote and they screw it up and make you look bad for misiniforming the public.

Funny thing is I noticed they included a photo of the Fritz cover in the article, so at least no one will be able to find a b&w copy quite like that :wink:

Edited by comicwiz

lizards2   
  • 33,228 posts
49 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

FWIW I've had similar issues in the past (not with AARP, but any paper that isn't in tune with collectibles). I have in the past floated article ideas with something written-up as reference, and they still manage to screw it up.

BTW: Here's the article (available online as well):

http://www.aarp.org/money/investing/info-2017/big-money-collectibles-photo.html

I've had trouble with all news media - whenever they write about something you actually know something about, the article is riddled with errors.  The basic lesson is all news should be treated with a grain of salt.