• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading question Saga #1

16 posts in this topic

I acquired a first print copy of Saga #1 on eBay, but unfortunately there are a few defects on it, and was hoping I could get an approximate grade based on pictures. There is a crease on lower right front corner that is also on several of the pages; that defect is my main concern. There's also a light crease on the front cover and one near the spine. As it is now with these defects, do you think it could be NM? Would pressing likely resolves these problems? The seller described the books as "new, unread condition." The other issues I got with this set are high grade with no real problems, but of course the first, most valuable issue does have defects.

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

When a book is graded 'New,Unread' it usually means it is a really nice book that has problems. Technically NM is a grade of 9.4 . As is, I would grade not grade this book 9.4 , more like 9.0. I think pressing can help some of these flaws but that crease on the spine bothers me the most.

I go into a local comic book store on Wednesdays and help out some. Wednesday is new comic book day - I'm constantly amazed (and disappointed) at the condition new comics arrive in.  I've seen worse plenty of times with "new, unread" books right out of Diamond's box.  Most books new out of the box are not 9.8's. Not even close. 

Like Bob, the book looks 9.0 to me right now. All the defects appear to be ones pressing would fix.  Of course that costs money and takes time. 

Thanks for your response Bob. The flaw that bothers you most is the one in the bottom picture? That one actually bothers me least, although from a grading standpoint I don't know which is worse. The book actually has good eye appeal and these flaws are really only seen when viewed up close. I could live with a 9.0 grade. I was afraid the indentations and the fold on bottom right corner might put it down to fair. I'm tempted to put a stack of books on the pages with the fold to try and straighten them but should probably be patient and wait until I could have it pressed.

Hi Tony. I can relate to being disappointed with the condition of some books, especially ones I buy online. At least at a store you have the advantage of picking the best copy you can find. The pressing fees I've seen aren't too bad. I think the shipping costs might be more expensive than the actual pressing fee, at least for one book. I don't plan on selling it any time soon, but if I was going to have it graded by CGC, I'd want to have it pressed first to get the highest grade possible.

10 hours ago, Nathan Port said:

Thanks for your response Bob. The flaw that bothers you most is the one in the bottom picture? That one actually bothers me least, although from a grading standpoint I don't know which is worse. The book actually has good eye appeal and these flaws are really only seen when viewed up close. I could live with a 9.0 grade. I was afraid the indentations and the fold on bottom right corner might put it down to fair. I'm tempted to put a stack of books on the pages with the fold to try and straighten them but should probably be patient and wait until I could have it pressed.

Yes, the last pic shows a deep spine crease. When I said it bothers me the most, it is because it appears to break color and will not press out. 

10 hours ago, Tony S said:

I go into a local comic book store on Wednesdays and help out some. Wednesday is new comic book day - I'm constantly amazed (and disappointed) at the condition new comics arrive in.  I've seen worse plenty of times with "new, unread" books right out of Diamond's box.  Most books new out of the box are not 9.8's. Not even close. 

I've helped out also, although I would go in on Tuesday when the books actually arrive. You are correct, out of the box, many books have problems. I also think it comes from the handling of the staff, who usually don't have the same appreciation for condition as some of us. Lunchtime, eating burgers and fries, a cursory wipe of the hands and then handling the books. Standing the books vertically, reaching in and grabbing books for the pull list, smoke break smell on fingers, grabbing a stack of books with one hand and squeezing them onto the wall shelves. Don't think they call in sick = coughing, sneezing around the books. Gotta go to the bathroom, grab a new book to read while you're in there. Counting the books to match the invoice, here come the finger bends.  Crazy stuff. Getting first shot at books is important my friends.

On 9/17/2017 at 11:38 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

I've helped out also, although I would go in on Tuesday when the books actually arrive. You are correct, out of the box, many books have problems. I also think it comes from the handling of the staff, who usually don't have the same appreciation for condition as some of us. Lunchtime, eating burgers and fries, a cursory wipe of the hands and then handling the books. Standing the books vertically, reaching in and grabbing books for the pull list, smoke break smell on fingers, grabbing a stack of books with one hand and squeezing them onto the wall shelves. Don't think they call in sick = coughing, sneezing around the books. Gotta go to the bathroom, grab a new book to read while you're in there. Counting the books to match the invoice, here come the finger bends.  Crazy stuff. Getting first shot at books is important my friends.

I wouldn't want to shop there Bob!

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

HaHa. But they are all like that to some degree. The absolute WORST is when the owner or manager is a smoker and sometimes smokes inside. 

Yeah, I hate it when I order a book online that smells like smoke. Hasn't happened to me with comic books though, only regular books, since the latter aren't stored in bags.

22 minutes ago, Nathan81 said:

I found a couple more flaws on first page. That spine crease does break color. Assuming the other issues could be pressed out, could someone give an estimate of what grade the book would then be in?

Here's my take on your question. In order to make it worth your while, financially, to ship/press/submit/ship this book it would have to get at least a 9.6 . If it gets a 9.4 you are close to even, 9.2 or less and you lose money. Now, that crease looks awfully big and deep, even if the rest of the book is perfect I'm not sure you will get a 9.6. Maybe but most likely not. If the press is not thorough and some of those other flaws remain, well you just experienced a complete waste of time and money. Your call but I would not submit.

32 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Here's my take on your question. In order to make it worth your while, financially, to ship/press/submit/ship this book it would have to get at least a 9.6 . If it gets a 9.4 you are close to even, 9.2 or less and you lose money. Now, that crease looks awfully big and deep, even if the rest of the book is perfect I'm not sure you will get a 9.6. Maybe but most likely not. If the press is not thorough and some of those other flaws remain, well you just experienced a complete waste of time and money. Your call but I would not submit.

Thanks for your response Bob. Won't buyers always pay a premium for an encapsulated and graded copy, even if it's not 9.8? I purchased it as a long term investment, like decades unless I need the money, so if the value continues to go up in the future, I would think it could be worth pressing prior to grading. I was actually debating whether or not to return this for a refund to eBay seller. Unfortunately if I want to return it I'll have to send back issues 2-12 also, which I think are all high grade, so I wasn't sure if I should keep the flawed #1 in order to hold onto the others. I asked the seller if she could do a partial refund for just the first issue, but she didn't want to do that. That crease is almost a tear I think, so maybe I should get my money back and find a nicer copy, since it's by far the most valuable of the set I purchased.

1 hour ago, Nathan81 said:

Thanks for your response Bob. Won't buyers always pay a premium for an encapsulated and graded copy, even if it's not 9.8? I purchased it as a long term investment, like decades unless I need the money, so if the value continues to go up in the future, I would think it could be worth pressing prior to grading. I was actually debating whether or not to return this for a refund to eBay seller. Unfortunately if I want to return it I'll have to send back issues 2-12 also, which I think are all high grade, so I wasn't sure if I should keep the flawed #1 in order to hold onto the others. I asked the seller if she could do a partial refund for just the first issue, but she didn't want to do that. That crease is almost a tear I think, so maybe I should get my money back and find a nicer copy, since it's by far the most valuable of the set I purchased.

Yes, you never mentioned you had the option of getting your money back. Go get your money back. Now !!!!

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, you never mentioned you had the option of getting your money back. Go get your money back. Now !!!!

I had been going back and forth with the seller trying to come up with a solution and she wasn't communicating well. I opened a case with eBay resolution center and now she's issued a refund, including original and return shipping costs. I just have to ship the books back. Thanks for helping me to not doubt my decision to return the books.