• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Use of gloves?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I feel incredibly silly for asking this, but when I submitted some books to a facilitator, they noted some fingerprints on the books and how that could negatively impact the grade on the book.  Now, I'm still new to all of this so that came as a bit of a shock to me.  I figured as long as the fingerprints weren't egregious, they shouldn't cause an issue.  After all, the book is bound to change hands multiple times before being slabbed.  Possibly at distribution, then by my LCS roughly twice (once on the shelf or straight into my sub folder, and then again when handed to me at checkout), by me when I read it, and by the creators when they sign it (though, perhaps not this last one when you bag/board your books properly for CGC SS submissions).  Now, this is a rough estimate.  And of course, if you buy reader vs investment copies, then it reduces the number of times touched.  But I'm curious, is it worthwhile to handle my books with gloves to keep my prints off them?  All my copies are reader copies, but every now and then maybe a book becomes a key or has a cool cover that you just want slabbed to show off on your shelf.

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I feel incredibly silly for asking this, but when I submitted some books to a facilitator, they noted some fingerprints on the books and how that could negatively impact the grade on the book.  Now, I'm still new to all of this so that came as a bit of a shock to me.  I figured as long as the fingerprints weren't egregious, they shouldn't cause an issue.  After all, the book is bound to change hands multiple times before being slabbed.  Possibly at distribution, then by my LCS roughly twice (once on the shelf or straight into my sub folder, and then again when handed to me at checkout), by me when I read it, and by the creators when they sign it (though, perhaps not this last one when you bag/board your books properly for CGC SS submissions).  Now, this is a rough estimate.  And of course, if you buy reader vs investment copies, then it reduces the number of times touched.  But I'm curious, is it worthwhile to handle my books with gloves to keep my prints off them?  All my copies are reader copies, but every now and then maybe a book becomes a key or has a cool cover that you just want slabbed to show off on your shelf.

IMO, you should not submit reader copies for grading.

I never grade a comic, no matter the condition, without latex or nitrile gloves. Always make sure they are NON-POWDERED. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, you should not submit reader copies for grading.

I agree with this sentiment, but I feel like it becomes costly buying a reader and a speculative copy.  Of course, you could avoid buying speculative copies and just pay a premium for slabbed books on the after market.  Perhaps this is the ideal/most cost efficient solution for someone in my position.

Still learning, but I guess what is the recommended procedure for a more casual collector such as myself?  (Note: when I said reader copy, I mean I read it once and then it goes into a bag/board.  And yes, I understand that even reading the book once could potentially lead to ruin and the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6/9.4.  I think 95% of my books have been treated this way.  The other 5% are stories I really enjoy that I've re-read).

18 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I agree with this sentiment, but I feel like it becomes costly buying a reader and a speculative copy.  Of course, you could avoid buying speculative copies and just pay a premium for slabbed books on the after market.  Perhaps this is the ideal/most cost efficient solution for someone in my position.

Still learning, but I guess what is the recommended procedure for a more casual collector such as myself?  (Note: when I said reader copy, I mean I read it once and then it goes into a bag/board.  And yes, I understand that even reading the book once could potentially lead to ruin and the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6/9.4.  I think 95% of my books have been treated this way.  The other 5% are stories I really enjoy that I've re-read).

Personally, I never read a comic directly. I read TPB's, Marvel Masterworks, DC Archives, etc. Sometimes I can read the new Walking Dead issues while standing there in the LCS. It's such a fast read. 

On 10/11/2017 at 2:21 PM, Pizzafist said:

I wash and dry my hands thoroughly. No gloves.but I usually have the books pressed or quick pressed(worth it) ..This removes fingerprints from the cover.

Pressing does not remove fingerprints. :screwy:

25 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

I stopped wearing gloves after I read this article a couple years ago:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0sqyP-vbkNhRkY5QnBVVVRyeEU

Now, I just wash/dry hands thoroughly before handling the comics.

+1

Use clean hands, and be sure to handle your books gently so that no creases, thumbprints, or dings are introduced.  I read every BA comic I bought off the rack, and several of them wound up in 9.8 slabs, so I know it's pretty easy with the right care.