RULES FEEDBACK: does advertising your boards selling post elsewhere = violating the boards-only rule?
4 4

Boards-only Marketplace Rules Feedback  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Allow cross-posting a boards-only sale to social media (not eBay)?

• Allow cross posting to social media as long as the for-sale thread is linked, and buying requires a reply through the boards
    • Do not allow any cross posting of a boards-only marketplace post anywhere any time. Period.
    • Allow cross-posting, but we need more than a link and "reply through the boards" - see my reply on this thread for details.
    • One does not simply change the rules on the marketplace without 4 years of debate, 3 DQ exits, 2 "the boards aren't what they used to be" threads, and a partridge in a pear tree (I cheated the votes... it's over 9,000!)

29 posts in this topic

6,385 posts

I added a rule about surcharges for PayPal (or other services if they restrict it). I am also closing this idea - so no explicit action. I'm not adding a rule that expressly allows or disallows it. I'll leave it up to a combination of member complaints and moderator judgement whether something is conforming to the "only offered on the boards" rule.

2,496 posts
7 hours ago, Architecht said:

I added a rule about surcharges for PayPal (or other services if they restrict it). I am also closing this idea - so no explicit action. I'm not adding a rule that expressly allows or disallows it. I'll leave it up to a combination of member complaints and moderator judgement whether something is conforming to the "only offered on the boards" rule.

'Cash' discounts still ok?

875 posts

I have to admit that I am very guilty of cross promoting some of the sales threads here on an EC group I’m in on FB. Seeing the general consensus here now, I feel it was a bad thing to do. Sometimes some of the FB people would make snide remarks about the selling price or slabbed books in general. I only know of one member of the FB group who actually joined the CGC Board and he is a good guy who has bought a few things there. Anyway, sorry for rambling on but I do think it is a bad idea and I have now gone back and removed my posts with links to sales on the CGC Board.

1,777 posts
On 9/18/2017 at 2:00 PM, comicdonna said:

I think this will turn into a problem.  I vote to keep things the way they are.  No point in fixing something that isn't broke.  I think the forum only selling rule makes this place special.

I agree with Mike (a wise man).  

32,119 posts
48 minutes ago, Michael Jarosz said:

I have simply put I welcome best offers. Will that work or not ?

You have to list prices.  Actually, there's a whole list of rules you should check out, before trying to sell any more books here.  

5,066 posts
On 9/18/2017 at 1:00 PM, comicdonna said:

No point in fixing something that isn't broke. 

But the powers-that-be are INSISTENT upon going against this advice. 

40,731 posts

I voted for the "partridge." :grin:

20,606 posts
On 9/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, newshane said:

But the powers-that-be are INSISTENT upon going against this advice. 

I believe the desire is just to have more people involved in the forum.

But I agree that education is needed: the forum would benefit a lot from thoughtful discussions, and people would be encouraged to deepen their knowledge of both comics history and collecting.

But I voted “no” because I believe there could be more effective ways to do this.

The Virtual Convention was a great one, insightful posts in the Golden Age section are another.

And less “heating up” posts would do a lot of good as well.… Haha! :D