• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicconnect November 2017 auction

244 posts in this topic

Just now, SquareChaos said:

That is correct, but I think it is the more striking page, even though it isn't the more historically significant page... if you can call it that. It was a great singular moment, but I personally didn't enjoy a lot of the 'feral' wolverine stories that came as a result.

Agreed x 2.... the feral wolverine were he devolves into a beast storyline was pretty underwhelming. I suppose that I’m just a victim of “90 s nostalgia” with this piece , it was a big deal to 11 year old me when all this originally happened, as wolverine was perhaps the biggest character (for me anyway) back then , and it took place durring the hey-day of the 90’s xmen cartoon also. 

1 minute ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

@SquareChaos anything catch your eye from this auction?

There are some nice pages, including that Wolverine page, but I'm not allowing myself to look too closely. I'm working on a few purchases outside of third party venues, and the uncertainty around when those will come to fruition has me just hoping nothing shows up in an auction that I can't do without in the meantime. 

18 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

There are some nice pages, including that Wolverine page, but I'm not allowing myself to look too closely. I'm working on a few purchases outside of third party venues, and the uncertainty around when those will come to fruition has me just hoping nothing shows up in an auction that I can't do without in the meantime. 

I am in the same situation, a dealer I’ve purchased a page from has a few nice pieces I’d like to add to my collection also , however all these killer pages have been coming up for auction .... I think “not allowing oneself to look too closely” is the route to take!

1 hour ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Yes back to that...... so I realize I’ve been going on about that page in wolverine 75,,,,, but I shall re-ignite that topic to get back to auction pertinent items

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=707911

Since it has been a while since I read the “ fatal attractions “ story arc I was wrong in assuming that was the page that wolverine lost his adamantium, it is not,  as this page is part of wolverine 75 , he actually loses his adamantium in the previous issue of the story line (x-men 25)

https://middleeasy.com/entertainment/blast-to-the-past-magneto-rips-out-wolverine-s-adamantium/

This page is instead , a flashback page bringing readers up to speed as to the events of events that took place in xmen 25..

It’s still an amazing piece, just not the original page that he lost his adamantium 

I own the two pages that follow that splash from XMEN 25. (As well as the sweet Magneto page in the beginning of the issue.)  I've been chasing quality pages from this book for years. I was told many moons ago that the splash from issue 25 and the matching color guide went missing / were stolen from the Marvel offices back in the 90s. Now that may be complete BS, since that information didnt come from Mr. Kubert. (MAYBE Spencer told me. I could be wrong.)   But, it is a fact that's always in the back of my head, and at least for me, does make the splash from Wol 75 more desirable, as it's the only premium page of that moment from that story line, save the covers. 

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

That is correct, but I think it is the more striking page, even though it isn't the more historically significant page... if you can call it that. It was a great singular moment, but I personally didn't enjoy a lot of the 'feral' wolverine stories that came as a result.

As someone who was 10 years old when that story line came out. To me, it's just as "historic" as Tony Stark becoming an alcoholic,  Jason Todd dying or Supes getting killed...

Now, that said.  I'm WELL AWARE Wolvie getting his metal pulled didnt have nearly the same cultural impact that any the two I'm comparing it too did. BUT... Nostalgically... It's etched in my mind as one of those GREAT moments. And I know I cant be the only one.  

10 minutes ago, Khazano said:

As someone who was 10 years old when that story line came out. To me, it's just as "historic" as Tony Stark becoming an alcoholic,  Jason Todd dying or Supes getting killed...

Now, that said.  I'm WELL AWARE Wolvie getting his metal pulled didnt have nearly the same cultural impact that any the two I'm comparing it too did. BUT... Nostalgically... It's etched in my mind as one of those GREAT moments. And I know I cant be the only one.  

I'm comfortable standing by what I said - it is a great singular moment. I would be happy to own the page, so I'm sure many will take a shot at it.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

I'm comfortable standing by what I said - it is a great singular moment. I would be happy to own the page, so I'm sure many will take a shot at it.

Not arguing at all with what you said. Many will agree with you. I'm just pointing out there will be a sweet spot of collectors who want it. And who are also now just the right age to throw real money at it. Personally, as someone who collects these pages, Id love the price to stay low. So I hope your right. It wasnt long ago the cover to 75 sold for only 10k. 

2 hours ago, Khazano said:

Not arguing at all with what you said. Many will agree with you. I'm just pointing out there will be a sweet spot of collectors who want it. And who are also now just the right age to throw real money at it. Personally, as someone who collects these pages, Id love the price to stay low. So I hope your right. It wasnt long ago the cover to 75 sold for only 10k. 

I honestly have no clue where the price could land, definitely 5 figures , but could be 20k as easily as 10k . But I m in the same age bracket as you so I’m guessing it will be a bunch of folks our age going for it. 

9 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

I honestly have no clue where the price could land, definitely 5 figures , but could be 20k as easily as 10k . But I m in the same age bracket as you so I’m guessing it will be a bunch of folks our age going for it. 

Wasn't the buy it now price listed at 13.5k or 12.5k recently?

5 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Wasn't the buy it now price listed at 13.5k or 12.5k recently?

Where was it listed ? And sometimes things kind of slide on the market under peoples radars and sit around for a while for sale on what ever site as opposed to when they are in a (featured) auction and everyone knows about them and starts hyping them up on the msg boards

Edited by Ryanfromottawa

1 minute ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Where was it listed ? And sometimes things kind of slide on the market under peoples radars and sit around for a while for sale on what ever site as opposed to when they are in a (featured) auction and everyone knows about them and starts hyping them up on the msg boards

Comic Connect

2 hours ago, Khazano said:

And it was in 2014 the cover sold for 10.7 k at heritage, at the last clink auction the Perez infinity gauntlet page sold for just under 9k when in 2014 it also sold on heritage for 4 k .. let’s just hope that everyone has their $$ tied up with Christmas or Kwanzaa or Hanukkah or festivus to keep the price low.. on the plus side since auction is taking place on comicconnect.... that means extended bidding and no sniping!

Edited by Ryanfromottawa

1 minute ago, Twanj said:

Comic Connect

I honestly didn’t even know it was up there. Was it sitting around collecting dust up there for a while? And at least now we have some sort of an idea of what fmv could be since it was listed and no one purchased it at that price

Just now, Ryanfromottawa said:

And it was in 2014 the cover sold for 10.7 k at heritage, at the last clink auction the Perez infinity gauntlet page sold for just under 9k when in 2014 it also sold on heritage for 4 k .. let’s just hope that everyone has their $$ tied up with Christmas or Kwanzaa or Hanukkah to keep the price low.. on the plus side since auction is taking place on comicconnect.... that means extended bidding and no sniping!

Yeah... But... You can't really compare the meteoric rise of what happened with IG art market to the kubert xmen market of the early 90s.  The current IG market's insane spike has to do with the movie universe cementing it in annals of pop culture history.  I think five figures might be a bit generous, 10ish-k at most on a really good auction day for the seller... But who knows. 

10 minutes ago, Khazano said:

Yeah... But... You can't really compare the meteoric rise of what happened with IG art market to the kubert xmen market of the early 90s.  The current IG market's insane spike has to do with the movie universe cementing it in annals of pop culture history.  I think five figures might be a bit generous, 10ish-k at most on a really good auction day for the seller... But who knows. 

I hear you, I was just looking for a comparable piece from around the same time period , you are right about the movie being responsible for the crazy jump in price. Is there any other 90’s pieces you can think of with similar significant events taking place on them that have hit high numbers recently?

Have the death of superman pages ever been up for sale from issue 75?

Edited by Ryanfromottawa

Just now, Ryanfromottawa said:

I hear you, I was just looking for a comparable piece from around the same time period , you are right about the movie being responsible for the crazy jump in price. Is there any other 90’s pieces you can think of with similar significant events taking place on them that have hit high numbers recently?

Comparable to what the Gauntlet is doing now? Nothing.  I can't think of any 90s property to ever do these type of numbers in such a rapid jump... Maybe the McSpidey market at one point and / or the Death of Superman market in the very early 2000s when no one wanted the stuff...

That said, I think the Kubert 90s X-Men has shown a lot of strength over the past few years and has a ton of room for growth. 

6 minutes ago, Khazano said:

Comparable to what the Gauntlet is doing now? Nothing.  I can't think of any 90s property to ever do these type of numbers in such a rapid jump... Maybe the McSpidey market at one point and / or the Death of Superman market in the very early 2000s when no one wanted the stuff...

That said, I think the Kubert 90s X-Men has shown a lot of strength over the past few years and has a ton of room for growth. 

Well if you remember when the 90 s Kubert stuff was originally released, xmen were marvels top property, the 90 s xmen cartoon was on the air , the xmen action figures were on top of all of me and my friends Christmas lists , and there was about 45 different x-titles. Speaking of 90 s xmen imagine the numbers Jim Lee xmen pages would hit if they came up (both uncanny xmen and xmen ) heritage has some results from 10 years ago , and prices were pretty fierce back them 

1 hour ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Speaking of 90 s xmen imagine the numbers Jim Lee xmen pages would hit if they came up (both uncanny xmen and xmen ) heritage has some results from 10 years ago , and prices were pretty fierce back them 

A few Lee UXM/XM pages have been auctioned in recent times:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/01/13/artist-spotlight-jim-lee/

As for '90s segments which have experienced big price leaps in the last 2 years, Larsen ASM/MCP/SM and Liefeld NM/XF immediately spring to mind. On a smaller scale, Bagley NW/ASM and Lim SS have also jumped.

The explosion of the aforementioned Perez/Lim IG and IG-related Lim SS/TQ/IW stuff is probably the most spectacular though!

32 minutes ago, O. said:

A few Lee UXM/XM pages have been auctioned in recent times:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/01/13/artist-spotlight-jim-lee/

As for '90s segments which have experienced big price leaps in the last 2 years, Larsen ASM/MCP/SM and Liefeld NM/XF immediately spring to mind. On a smaller scale, Bagley NW/ASM and Lim SS have also jumped.

The explosion of the aforementioned Perez/Lim IG and IG-related Lim SS/TQ/IW stuff is probably the most spectacular though!

Always a wealth of knowledge my friend!