• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INVESTMENT COLLECTIBLES does it again!!

145 posts in this topic

Please don't hate me for saying this, but why is pressing so bad? Nothing has been added or taken away from the book-so why should we "shun" it? Its the grade that counts, not pressing.

As for the census goes, most of us use it as a guide. Thats all-nothing more!

Case a point: A lot of people still believe that there is a "bubble" concerning the high end market of CGC comics. No other "bubble" wether it be the graded coin market, the real estate market or even the dot.com bubble has lasted as far as 5 years and still going strong....this just is not the case-if you do a study on market trends you will see this...

those of you who are selling late BRONZE books in high grade because you fear a crash-maybe sorry in the future....

This is just my opinion-so please don't be mad-just noting the obvious....

I feel the same way you do. But pressing has been discussed ad naseum and I'm not sure what else can be said regarding the subject. I've made the same argument over and over again. I think there's plenty of people that feel the way we do. I've asked repeatedly for actual evidence that professional pressing damages a book, and absolutely nobody seems to have come up with any.

Please don't hate me for saying this, but why is pressing so bad? Nothing has been added or taken away from the book-so why should we "shun" it? Its the grade that counts, not pressing.

Okay-why is undisclosed pressing bad? Again-can you prove it was pressed? No-then why bother.

Just an opinion-but it would not bother me any if you told me every single 9.4-9.8 CGC book I own was pressed...

why should it-you cannot prove it either way...

don't make a mountain out of an ant hill....

There are plenty of books that I can prove were pressed. But I'm not about to take the time to search for the many before and after scans that have been posted on these forums showing how common pressing is. Have you not seen any of them?

I'm a newbie, but at the same time-I don't want a third party grading company guessing on wether a book has been pressed or not. Don't you agree? This is not restoration and should not be treated as such

The problem isn't with the proving of pressing or not being pressed -- I have no doubt there are many, many books out there pressed -- the question is whether it really harms a book. In the case of color touch, piece addition, chemical cleaning, etc., those things all alter the physical integrity of the book from it's state. To me, pressing doesn't really add, take away, or in any other way hurt the book. It probably should be defined as restoration, because you are, in essence, attempting to return the book to its "original state".

I'm a newbie, but at the same time-I don't want a third party grading company guessing on wether a book has been pressed or not. Don't you agree? This is not restoration and should not be treated as such

Check out the search function and type in "undisclosed pressing" or "non - disassembly pressing", or just "pressing".

Anybody who ever had any kind of opinion on this topic has sounded off about it enough times that any further discussion about this is now redundant - no offence, but it's done.

Check out the search function and type in "undisclosed pressing" or "non - disassembly pressing", or just "pressing".

Anybody who ever had any kind of opinion on this topic has sounded off about it enough times that any further discussion about this is now redundant - no offence, but it's done.

Absolutely correct...and yet two board members felt the need to accuse Comgeek of pressing books as soon as he posted the link to the Superman run he's auctioning thru CL.

I highly recommend you review the pressing threads in both the General and Restoration section. You will find hundreds of opinions, including mine.

OldGuy is correct. We can identify many books that have been pressed and we have done so in prior threads. These are particularly the type of high grade PA, GA and AA books that my world includes. And given that a pressing job, whether disclosed or not, may cause me to have to spend tens of thousands of dollars more than I might otherwise need to, I personally want to know in order to make an informed decision.

I can't speak to the other eras.

Nuff said by me.

I highly recommend you review the pressing threads in both the General and Restoration section. You will find hundreds of opinions, including mine.

OldGuy is correct. We can identify many books that have been pressed and we have done so in prior threads. These are particularly the type of high grade PA, GA and AA books that my world includes. And given that a pressing job, whether disclosed or not, may cause me to have to spend tens of thousands of dollars more than I might otherwise need to, I personally want to know in order to make an informed decision.

Nuff said by me.

I don't want to speak for comicworm, but I think both you and oldguy are missing his point when he says "you can't prove a book has been pressed." You two are talking about comparing a book in its current state to scans of the same book in Heritage archives or some other source, where it may have had a lower CGC grade, or if raw, had defects that no longer exist in its current form.

I believe comicworm is saying that you can't detect pressing by examining the book itself, without researching its history. It's a fairly common opinion held by those who aren't concerned with pressing..."You don't add anything, you don't take anything away, and you can't detect it. So why worry about it?" Frankly, I have a hard time disputing that logic.

I have stated on my humble little website that I will always divulge pressing if I'm aware of it. I do this because I know some % of collectors are very concerned with pressing. But in all honesty, I just don't get it.

I believe comicworm is saying that you can't detect pressing by examining the book itself, without researching its history. It's a fairly common opinion held by those who aren't concerned with pressing..."You don't add anything, you don't take anything away, and you can't detect it. So why worry about it?" Frankly, I have a hard time disputing that logic.

Jeff, this is not entirely true, particularly with the older GA books. I've had several prominent dealers tell me this and they have dealt with raw books and have examined pressed books. I'm not saying this can be done all of the time. Of course it cannot. But it can sometime.

In any event, I don't understand the distinction between being able to tell a book has been pressed by feel versus by research. I primarily purchase books after I do my due diligence research so it works for me, and it works for others. When I buy a book, it is far more seller beware than buyer beware.

I have stated on my humble little website that I will always divulge pressing if I'm aware of it. I do this because I know some % of collectors are very concerned with pressing. But in all honesty, I just don't get it.

And, of course, I applaud you for that!!!!! And I still like you even if you don't get it. flowerred.gif

Of course, now you made me break my pledge of no more comments tonight! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hey Comicworm,

If you saw a pressed book that hadn't been done "right" you would probably chnage your mind. Most poorly pressed books are very hard to identify through a front and back scan of a CGC'd book, so you don't know until your holding it in your hands. Given how everyone seems to be going with the "no refund for CGC books", your stuck with the issue. I know these pressed books are extremely raw, especially for me since I only buy golden age, but I would saw close to 5% to 10% of the ones I have purchased have pressing that is fairly obvious to see.

Batman fan, in all the threads on pressing, I've never seen anyone come out supporting amateur pressing. We're all against it. That's not going to change anyone's mind about professional pressing.

Nuff said by me.

I don't want to speak for comicworm, but I think both you and oldguy are missing his point when he says "you can't prove a book has been pressed." You two are talking about comparing a book in its current state to scans of the same book in Heritage archives or some other source, where it may have had a lower CGC grade, or if raw, had defects that no longer exist in its current form.

VERY well stated, Jeff.................. thumbsup2.gif