ComicArtTracker.com
4 4

302 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2019 at 10:25 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Is there a way for me to exclude a specific dealer's website during a search? 

Yes. It is in the settings. I exclude one.

5 hours ago, NicoV said:

Thanks for your suggestion and your support. Today all art for sale on CAF and any other website within the CAF marketplace (Romitaman,  Moy & cie) is provided by Bill Cox through a specific interface between CAT and CAF. So yes, I guess he could change this interface to also include art that is not officially for sale but has a status saying "for sale" / FS / etc. But I don't see any reason for him to do it, and I would not ask him to do it, as access to the CAF Classified section is one of the main reasons for people to sign up for a premium account.

The same applies to 2DGalleries or any other marketplace where you pay to list your art for sale (and 2DGalleries is much tougher regarding people using their platform to sell art without having a premium account: they already deleted accounts, without any warning sometimes, from people who added a "for sale" or equivalent text to their description, or even from people who simply advertised on comic art-related boards about art for sale and linking to their non-premium 2DG page).

I already thought about a related feature, which would allow you to add any CAF or 2DG art to your tracked art, so that you can keep all your "bookmarked" art in one single place on CAT and be reminded to check the status of this art (or send a message to the owner) from time to time. But for sure that's not as useful as an automated daily search on specific keywords, and thus it's not on my priority list.

All well and good! I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Continued success and thanks for creating and maintaining such a wonderful tool for the market!!!

I have possibly a stupid question. How would I search for Batman Beyond and get reasonable amount of hits? Searching that those two words together gives me almost 7,000 results which is just the same as searching for Batman. If I search just the term Beyond, I get zero results back. Searching Terry McGinnis gives me a handful of hits with Batman Beyond also being used in the title of results, so I know they are out there. Anybody out there have any suggestions???

14 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

I have possibly a stupid question. How would I search for Batman Beyond and get reasonable amount of hits? Searching that those two words together gives me almost 7,000 results which is just the same as searching for Batman. If I search just the term Beyond, I get zero results back. Searching Terry McGinnis gives me a handful of hits with Batman Beyond also being used in the title of results, so I know they are out there. Anybody out there have any suggestions???

If you have a particular artist(s) in mind, adding their last name should help narrow results.

17 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Try using quotes. I searched for "Batman Beyond" (quotation marks included) and got 130 results.

6 minutes ago, Eltanin said:

Try using quotes. I searched for "Batman Beyond" (quotation marks included) and got 130 results.

Many thanks. That was all I needed. I never did that because I thought that's what the system did by default but now I see the default would technically be 'Batman Beyond'

By default, le system searches for any page with the two keywords... but it systematically removes words considered as meaningless (such as "the", "one", "what", etc.). Unfortunately it seems like the word "beyond" falls in this category, so searching for 'batman beyond' is like searching for 'batman' alone. When adding double quotes, you ensure that the search engine will look for this exact two words together.

To not be used for artists names, as you're never sure if the original website with display last name + first name, first name + last name, last name alone, etc. but definitely useful for series.

Edited by NicoV
4 minutes ago, NicoV said:

By default, le system searches for any page with the two keywords... but it systematically removes words considered as meaningless (such as "the", "one", "what", etc.). Unfortunately it seems like the word "beyond" falls in this category, so searching for 'batman beyond' is like searching for 'batman' alone. When adding double quotes, you ensure that the search engine will look for this exact two words together.

To not be used for artists names, as you're never sure if the original website with display last name + first name, first name + last name, last name alone, etc. but definitely useful for series.

Have you thought about adding Boolean search terms like w/10 or “not”?

4 hours ago, NicoV said:

That's why I have both "Tim Sale" and "Sale Tim" in my favorite searches. Without the quotes, I get waaaaaaaaay too many irrelevant results.

I'm curious how folks are using CAT.

To this point I simply have keyword alerts going off and have limited to dealers/sites I care to get updates from.  It sounds like people are going to the site daily and browsing the new listings like many of us do CAF but I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, NicoV said:

Hi everybody. Sorry to have caused you so much pain. The database server went down and I could not make it work again yesterday. A (not so) good night's sleep seems to have been beneficial, as CAT is up and running again (a big thanks to my friend Google). Crossing my fingers. I'm going to make up for the lost time and ensure that all 300 websites are reindexed in a couple of hours, hopefully before the next daily email.

Thank you!

It's become indispensable.

Edited by Twanj
1 hour ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I'm curious how folks are using CAT.

To this point I simply have keyword alerts going off and have limited to dealers/sites I care to get updates from.  It sounds like people are going to the site daily and browsing the new listings like many of us do CAF but I could be wrong.

I don't really have stats about users' behaviour, but for sure a good part of CAT users go to the site several times a day.

Email alerts are great when you're busy and don't want to spend one hour a day to check all new listed art (far less if you don't look at eBay), and you know what you're looking for. It ensures that you won't miss something that you know you may like. There's clearly a traffic peak during the 30 minutes after the daily email is sent to all users, and it does not even take into account all users that read their daily email but do not click to go to the CAT website.

But for all of us with the FOMO addiction, or when you're open to any new art that may catch your eye even if you never heard about the artist, you cannot exclusively rely on a list of keywords *. I like this "discovery" phase. You discover an artwork you like, you add the artist to your keywords just to see what other art could appear later. And there's also the upcoming auctions to browse, as well as the results for the recently closed auctions (or your tracked art page) to check what was the final price for the artworks you followed... 

* 2 people on 5 have setup one or several keywords. For these users, the average number of keywords is 10, but ~ 100 users have more than 50 keywords and a few of them have more than 200 keywords !

Edited by NicoV
On 10/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, NicoV said:

I don't really have stats about users' behaviour, but for sure a good part of CAT users go to the site several times a day.

Email alerts are great when you're busy and don't want to spend one hour a day to check all new listed art (far less if you don't look at eBay), and you know what you're looking for. It ensures that you won't miss something that you know you may like. There's clearly a traffic peak during the 30 minutes after the daily email is sent to all users, and it does not even take into account all users that read their daily email but do not click to go to the CAT website.

But for all of us with the FOMO addiction, or when you're open to any new art that may catch your eye even if you never heard about the artist, you cannot exclusively rely on a list of keywords *. I like this "discovery" phase. You discover an artwork you like, you add the artist to your keywords just to see what other art could appear later. And there's also the upcoming auctions to browse, as well as the results for the recently closed auctions (or your tracked art page) to check what was the final price for the artworks you followed... 

* 2 people on 5 have setup one or several keywords. For these users, the average number of keywords is 10, but ~ 100 users have more than 50 keywords and a few of them have more than 200 keywords !

Any chance you could add Boolean search terms like: or, not or w/10 (etc.)