• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large auction today with a lot of original film concept art

65 posts in this topic

Some really incredible stuff here if you can afford it.

http://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/info/id/78/

https://content.propstore.com/auction/la2017/liveauction2017catv2.pdf

Orignal art, props, costumes etc. from movies like Aliens, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Hellboy, etc.

Edited by AdamAnt

2 hours ago, AdamAnt said:

Some really incredible stuff here if you can afford it.

http://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/info/id/78/

https://content.propstore.com/auction/la2017/liveauction2017catv2.pdf

Orignal art, props, costumes etc. from movies like Aliens, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Hellboy, etc.

Wow!

Cool stuff. Reserves on everything and not cheap - but so much cool stuff and its for sale if you can afford it.

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

A life size, mannequin mounted, Alien Warrior costume from Aliens? 

They should just entitle that lot "The Divorce Accelerator". 

That is just what they should call the auction in general. Way too many cool things in there, I had to shut the PDF a third of the way through it.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

That is just what they should call the auction in general. Way too many cool things in there, I had to shut the PDF a third of the way through it.

For the most part, yeah, I can agree with that. Great museum quality stuff. You could probably get away with an "Immortals" mask from 300 or a sidearm from some film but a 6'x7' Alien is gonna be a deal breaker. lol 

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Did you get to the Ray Harryhausen concept drawings?

I recognize some of those as ones that failed to sell in a previous auction of theirs.

Edited by delekkerste

I won one of the Ron Cobb sword designs for Conan the Barbarian, my first prop store purchase.

The Star Lord mask was indeed making waves in the postmortem dissections.

And McQuarrie (like Frazetta) can scribble on a piece of paper and have it sell for hundreds. I would have liked to win one of the the Norman Reynolds Raiders of the Lost Ark pieces, but had already spent money and suffered the inevitable adrenaline dump that I experience during auctions. My resolve failed.

Edited by cstojano

Meh, just checked, he after fees broke even. I thought about going after the McQuarrie Hoth study, but I haven't bought a prop or star wars prod art piece in years. But that caught my eye.

Edited by zhamlau

16 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Didn’t meet the reserve? 

Yep.  Don't remember if the reserve was set at the starting bid or not, but, in any case, they didn't sell.  I think they're super cool, but, there is just soooooo much cool stuff out there for people to collect (and the Internet makes it all available nowadays), that it's inevitable that more and more cool stuff is going to get left by the wayside as the years/decades go by.  When I saw those Harryhausen "Valley of Gwanji" pieces in Prop Store's sale last year, I alerted a friend who is a big fan of the film (which is very cool BTW - I saw it last year for the first time).  When he declined to bid on them, I knew that they were going to have problems moving all those pieces...great stuff, but very limited market for that material IMO. 

11 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yep.  Don't remember if the reserve was set at the starting bid or not, but, in any case, they didn't sell.  I think they're super cool, but, there is just soooooo much cool stuff out there for people to collect (and the Internet makes it all available nowadays), that it's inevitable that more and more cool stuff is going to get left by the wayside as the years/decades go by.  When I saw those Harryhausen "Valley of Gwanji" pieces in Prop Store's sale last year, I alerted a friend who is a big fan of the film (which is very cool BTW - I saw it last year for the first time).  When he declined to bid on them, I knew that they were going to have problems moving all those pieces...great stuff, but very limited market for that material IMO. 

Yes. A Harryhausen model would have commanded huge interest. His concept drawings, apparently not. I agree with you that they are very cool, though. 

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes. A Harryhausen model would have commanded huge interest. His concept drawings, apparently not. I agree with you that they are very cool, though. 

I am learning this is something of an odd and idiosyncratic world. Coming from my collecting history perspective, concept art and originals would command a premium, but it doesn't seem to work that way really. Oddly, many of the 3D props I find to be rather cheap looking and of course there are tremendous issues with conservation and display. As much as I like some of the costumes, to display such a thing on a mannequin wouldn't really work for me. But then I don't get a storyboard copy "used in the film" really being of such interest either. Also, it only takes a few minutes of browsing prop collecting boards to come away with a healthy dose of skepticism for the authenticity of some of these items. For example, a production clapperboard is often matched to "behind the scenes" photos to establish authenticity. But if you can see said idiosyncratic damage and wear in the photograph what's to prevent someone else from doing the same and faking it. The entire concept of screen matched seems somewhat dubious as a result. Concept art, however, I would venture to say that much of this has not seen the light of day before its offering. 

And that’s the issue IMO.   To bring it back to say Harryhausen I’m sure you could develop a market, it would just take some time and effort.   Gene says there’s no market and he’s right but that market could exist with the right TLC 2c