• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else here work in film / on any comic related movies?
2 2

36 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Yup, that was my dads job., i worked on it for 3 weeks when my show went on hiatus. That was one of the biggest jobs in NY at the time, and the set for that was amazing.

We may have crossed paths - I was working on set for that film in the VFX department!  Small world!

In 2011, I had to kneel for Loki in the first Avengers movie as an extra on the Germany set. I also had a background role in The Winter Soldier inside S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters in 2013. If you paid extra close attention you'd say wait a minute, some random guy at a ball in Germany is now a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent? WTF?

I'm an animator/designer by trade, but not for movies, so I've never had a chance to work on a comic movie in that respect.

5 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

A friend of mine, we graduated together back in 85'. He did til he was recently killed.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox25boston.com/news/revere-native-found-shot-to-death-in-atlanta-georgia/566155542

Oh man. That's awful, and sorry about your friend. I actually live pretty close to there. (I'm just a bit outside of the East Atlanta Village)

I was a Zombie on the first episode of the Walking Dead, and then again on a couple of episodes in season 4. I wouldn't call it work though unless you count washing all the paint off at the end of the day. I've extra'd on a handful of things, but I think that's the only comic related thing. 

On 9/26/2017 at 9:23 PM, NoMan said:

I've worked in film for 30 years. Lighting. Snuck onto the set of Evil Dead 2 outta high school and never looked back. 

Then to Hollywood for phantasm 2 and countless movies

various music videos for smashing pumpkins, nirvana, Rolling Stones, madonna, guns and roses

still work with herb ritts

hundreds of commercials with joe pitka, spike jonze 

loads of dumb stuff, too  like the tv show I'm on now. Gotta go they're screaming for me on set  

On the videos who would you say was/were the most professional musician(s) to work with?  I'm asking about the good not the bad.  Don't want to jam you up.

Edited by Lucky Baru

33 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

On the videos who would you say was/were the most professional musician(s) to work with?  I'm asking about the good not the bad.  Don't want to jam you up.

Henry Rollins was the most professional person I've ever worked with. Bar none. 

I did the lighting for the "come as you are"  and "in bloom" videos for nirvana. Kurt cobain seemed deeply sad and troubled. He was very quiet. Kirst niveslic was super cool and was talkative.  I really don't remember much about Dave grohl.  

Madonna was ok. She thought she was a big deal.  Rolling Stones were all great. 

The worst, always the worst were rappers.  God those gangster video shoots were insufferable. Talk about unprofessional. 

Did pick up the weed that cypress hill guys dropped and got beyond high. 

Edited by NoMan

5 minutes ago, grebal said:

I've heard the Cypress Hill Droppings strain is among the most killer bud out there.

I'm not really a weed-head, but I believe it's called Shake.  And yes, there was a little on the floor they had dropped and I scooped it up and smoked it and got really, really high. 

Come to think of it, I did the lighting for their "Calling Dr. Green Thumb" video and we shot in a recently vacated hospital and I remember finding a cannister of nitrous oxide in a surgery room and...

better stop. Don't want to get a reputation. 

18 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Come to think of it, I did the lighting for their "Calling Dr. Green Thumb" video and we shot in a recently vacated hospital and I remember finding a cannister of nitrous oxide in a surgery room and...

better stop. Don't want to get a reputation. 

Never worked in the arts, but as a kid, my dentists always used 'locals' (novacaine) but I used to hear stories from friends who had dentists that used nitrous oxide, and I developed a jealousy that they got to laugh and I only got a bit of drool.

Edited by grebal

8 minutes ago, grebal said:

Never worked in the arts, but as a kid, my dentists always used 'locals' (novacaine) but I used to hear stories from friends who had dentists that used nitrous oxide, and I developed a jealousy that they got to laugh and I only got a bit of drool.

I got one word for ya pal: Hollywood. 

I haven't worked on any films, but not for the lack of trying.  Fifteen years ago, Artisan Entertainment had the rights to 15 Marvel characters.  I'd written a -script called MONSTER CITY that got a lot of attention around town, and Artisan asked to meet.  I ended up pitching my take on an Ant-Man movie that they really liked, and a few months later I went back and pitched my take on a Moon Knight TV series.  At the time, they were focusing their attention mainly on Iron Fist, and had signed Ray Park to play Danny Rand.  We kept in contact, but they ended up getting bought out by Lions Gate in 2003. 

Later, I adapted my Ant-Man pitch into an animation -script entitled THE SLIMIES, but it's so hard to get an animation -script read these days.  Animated films are developed in-house at studios.  They don't really want to see spec scripts. 

After all these years, MONSTER CITY still shows signs of life.  I entered it into a Screencraft competition earlier this year and it beat out 900 other scripts for the top prize. 

22 minutes ago, nearmint said:

I haven't worked on any films, but not for the lack of trying.  Fifteen years ago, Artisan Entertainment had the rights to 15 Marvel characters.  I'd written a --script called MONSTER CITY that got a lot of attention around town, and Artisan asked to meet.  I ended up pitching my take on an Ant-Man movie that they really liked, and a few months later I went back and pitched my take on a Moon Knight TV series.  At the time, they were focusing their attention mainly on Iron Fist, and had signed Ray Park to play Danny Rand.  We kept in contact, but they ended up getting bought out by Lions Gate in 2003. 

Later, I adapted my Ant-Man pitch into an animation --script entitled THE SLIMIES, but it's so hard to get an animation --script read these days.  Animated films are developed in-house at studios.  They don't really want to see spec scripts. 

After all these years, MONSTER CITY still shows signs of life.  I entered it into a Screencraft competition earlier this year and it beat out 900 other scripts for the top prize. 

congrats! you should do the Disney Fellowship competition, if they're still doing that one

7 minutes ago, Sal said:

congrats! you should do the Disney Fellowship competition, if they're still doing that one

That's something to think about.  The fellowship is geared more towards TV, as it requires you to submit an original pilot, as well as a spec episode of a currently running series.  I wrote an original pilot this year entitled DEAD ALIEN, but would have to write a spec episode of an existing show in order to submit to the fellowship.  I think the submission period is May. 

I'm hoping to generate some excitement over DEAD ALIEN before pilot season hits. 

Hey by the way, if anyone wants to work in Tv or movies (as a carpenter/grip/set dresser/prop/electrician) i highly recommend applying to my union, Local 52 I.A.T.S.E. We build all the movies & tv shows in NY. NY is so busy now that they cannot find enough people to fill positions (i.e. when i call the union hall and tell them they need more carpenters, most of the time they tell me to bring anyone in, because they cant find enough people to fill the positions, even all the applicants are working.). NY has 55 productions going on right now and i don't see it slowing down. Just by applying to the union you can find yourself working for a year straight, maybe more (i have applicants with me ive kept for 3 years.) Heres the web site if any of you want to check it out..

http://www.iatselocal52.org/