• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MEN IN BLACK RELAUNCH (6/14/19)

49 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, D84 said:

Has Chris Hemsworth been in a successful film besides Marvel?

'Bad Times at the El Royale' seemed to get a lot of attention. But even that turned out to be a box office and critic mixed reaction.

8 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Well, there’s Star Trek.

Not to take away from his acting. But that was a very limited appearance, and his first breakout role. What a really fun film.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

'Bad Times at the El Royale' seemed to get a lot of attention. But even that turned out to be a box office and critic mixed reaction.

Bad Times at the El Royale was a box office bomb.  

Budget: $32,000,000

Worldwide Box Office: $29,000,000

4 hours ago, D84 said:

Bad Times at the El Royale was a box office bomb.  

Budget: $32,000,000

Worldwide Box Office: $29,000,000

I know on the box office side. But the critic reviews were mixed on this film.

I saw it, and felt like there were parts of the story missing.

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I know on the box office side. But the critic reviews were mixed on this film.

I saw it, and felt like there were parts of the story missing. 

I picked up a copy, but haven't watched it yet.

Honestly, I want to see it for Jeff Bridges.  Hemsworth is good as Thor, but is boring in most other things I've seen.

19 minutes ago, D84 said:

I picked up a copy, but haven't watched it yet.

Honestly, I want to see it for Jeff Bridges.  Hemsworth is good as Thor, but is boring in most other things I've seen.

You will most probably like Jeff Bridges, though this is a very tarnished individual. Lewis Pullman's character also has one heck of a story to tell, but you only see it briefly.

But it is Cynthia Erivo that really knocks it out of the park for me above all the other cast members. I had no idea she was that solid.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You will most probably like Jeff Bridges, though this is a very tarnished individual. Lewis Pullman's character also has one heck of a story to tell, but you only see it briefly.

But it is Cynthia Erivo that really knocks it out of the park for me above all the other cast members. I had no idea she was that solid.

Thanks.  I plan on watching it Saturday.

I’ve heard this is just a train wreck. Chris is charming and all but the jokes just fall flat over and over. 

It’s just so rare you go to a “fun” movie who isn’t banking on its tie to a past success. Everything now seems to be hoping to sell you on remembering the good old days when films were fun and dynamic. Remakes and continuations galore cause no one really enjoys the “new” hollywood studio films anymore. It’s like everything died around 2006-2008, and the only things people like seeing are characters/films based on stuff created before that cutoff. So hollywood keeps churning those out in hopes cashing in...lame...

It is starting to come out like what occurred with Hellboy (2019) concerning creator fights behind-the-scenes, MIB had a similar situation.

THR: Rewrites, Infighting and No "Urgency": Behind Sony's Lackluster 'Men in Black' Relaunch

Director F. Gary Gray nearly exited as producer Walter Parkes attempted to remake the -script on the fly while the studio tried to limit its own financial exposure. "The movie needed a greater reason to be," says a Sony exec.

In 2016, Sony Pictures’ top executives, including chief Tom Rothman, faced a dilemma: Should they greenlight a reboot of Men in Black or pursue a Men in Blackcrossover with a second franchise, 21 Jump Street? The stakes were high. A misstep could kill a franchise. Or two.

Initially, Sony tried to make deals for the crossover route. That plan was ambitious, requiring names such as Steven Spielberg and Walter Parkes on the Black side, and Chris Miller and Phil Lord on the Jump Street side to forgo rich producing deals. But when Jump Street producer Neal Moritz refused to compromise on his customary first-dollar pact, according to several sources with knowledge of the talks and development of both projects, the studio pivoted to the straight Men in Black reboot.

That Sony would attempt to relaunch the franchise without Will Smith was a roll of the dice. The studio was already trying to cut a deal with the megastar for Bad Boys 3 and, internally, getting the actor along with original trilogy co-star Tommy Lee Jones for a fourth MIB film was seen as both expensive and not a forward-looking proposition, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

That choice, to relaunch the franchise with new stars, would lead to a battle between director and producer and, ultimately, a crash landing at the box office. Men in Black: International — a hoped-for relaunch of a franchise whose three previous films, released in 1997, 2002 and 2012, grossed over $1.6 billion — opened to only $30.1 million stateside. It was, if not a franchise killer, a franchise freezer.

32 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I like Hemsworth but yeah - he *really* needs a non-Thor hit.

• Red Dawn
  • Rush
  • In the Heart of the Sea
  • 12 Strong

And now this...

Well on the bright side, he's probably winning the overall box office duel with his brother.  And he seems to have a nice family, whereas Liam is married to a hooker.

I'm very concerned this may take the place of the Worst Movies thread. :insane:

Every Chris Hemsworth Movie, Ranked

• Ca$h
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • The Huntsman: Winter's War
  • Red Dawn
  • Snow White and the Huntsman
  • A Perfect Getaway
  • 12 Strong
  • Blackhat
  • In The Heart of the Sea
  • Ghostbusters