• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A fun autographed comic and a bit of Halloween spirit - - -

9 posts in this topic

This one is a little different but it's one of my favorite autographs in my collection - I thought some of you might appreciate the story, and I urge ANY of you that like radio drama to check out the link!

Being 40, I was born well after the end of the Radio Drama days, but I love listening to horror shows as white noise at work - and one day I came across this.

https://archive.org/details/wotw1971-complete

Everyone knows about the Orson Wells WAR OF THE WORLDS broadcast - But in 1968 and 1971, East Coast radio station WKBW remade it using the radio news techniques of the time, and also using their normal reporters as the actors!  It's really fun, caused another panic, is totally dated (70s era) but an awesome story and great to listen to - especially around Halloween. Ill throw it on if I have to take a long drive at night . :)

Anyhow - I found this and became obsessed!  I sent it to everyone I knew and am shocked at how little people knew of this . (Maybe some of the forum members from the East coast remember it?)

I started researching the people behind it a bit . (There is a making of documentary about the broadcast on youtube!) - Most of the crew that I could track down had passed away - Except Irv Weinstein, who was a very well known broadcaster on the East Coast.  I was able to get ahold of his address (Due to very poor health he has since moved to a care facility sadly) and I wanted to write him and tell him how much I enjoyed his work on this. I also had a kind of battered copy of the Classics Illustrated "War of the Worlds" and I included it with a SASE in hopes he would sign it!

2 weeks later I got it back with a typed letter saying how much it meant to him that something he did so long ago was still being enjoyed. He also apologized for the handwriting of his autograph - I didnt realize but I guess his illness keeps him from being able to use his hands much.

Anywise, I treasure this and thought it would be a good time to share it, with Halloween in the air and the ever looming threat of martians invading Grover's Mill :)

img_1972.jpg

img_1973.jpg

Thanks everyone for reading my story and taking the time to reply!

I agree - I wish more people would do this - So many old "forgotten" actors out there, or various personalities, and Im sure it means the world to them to get a letter just saying "thanks"