• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vancouver Comic Show - Oct. 29 2017
2 2

37 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

what're you bringing? 

For the toy and Pop figure :nyah: collectors, there will be Constant Collectibles (Maple Ridge?) with about 4 x 8' tables, Big Pete's Comics and Toys (about 6 tables), and Toy Traders warehouse from Langley.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

The usual suspects like Fan Boy and sidekick, Thanos88 and Flatliner1313 with allegedly the finest $1 boxes of overstock, aardvark88 with usual assortment of mixed silver Marvel and DC (GL #59 , Flash 139 Zoom), coverless GA, some pre-code raw Horror, 1970s bronze Marvel mags/DC, semi-hot Rick and Morty's. greggy does not sell locally; he just likes to horde. :acclaim:The team from Victoria, BC like Jigglypig Chad, eegabeeva. Anthill Nels, Wiser's warehouse, :nyah: Rob S., and Bob K. from the suburbs.

nice, sounds good, a lot of the usual suspects for sure, haven't seen Chad in ages! eegabeeva, I'm pretty sure i remember him...Don't think Ive met Thanos88 or Flatliner1313 before but Ive heard of their $1 boxes

Greggy doesn't sell locally...he's so boujee

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

For the toy and Pop figure :nyah: collectors, there will be Constant Collectibles (Maple Ridge?) with about 4 x 8' tables, Big Pete's Comics and Toys (about 6 tables), and Toy Traders warehouse from Langley.

Oh man, I finally went to Toy Traders earlier this year, its crazy.  Id compare it to the first time I went to a Toys R Us in the good ole USA when I was a young kid. Blown away. They have everything. I'm literally a 15 min drive from this place...I should probably change my location in my profile as I'm not in Van...

8 hours ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

Oh man, I finally went to Toy Traders earlier this year, its crazy.   Blown away. They have everything.  I'm not in Van...

Went to Toy Traders for the 1st time about 4 years ago. Blown away, as they have every model kit, anime doll, used dvd's, used to have original painted Aliens color artwork, all Star Wars. I am in suburbs of Vancouver myself.

Happy belated birthday to Fan Boy.

Pretty good show today. Very busy. Lots of sellers. My pickups were lower grade Neal Adams stuff off Chad, whole bunch of Spidey and Bats run fillers from the Canadian comics guys (don't know their names) and a few books from Eegabeeva(forgot his name)...

My 2 favourite pickups were Real Life Comics 7 and Romance without Tears tpb from Eegabeeva

The Romance without Tears is pretty cool. Reprints a whole bunch of Matt Baker romance stuff, Id never seen one before. ga.thumb.jpg.3ddbd21e3d88c7a5bb9a2f5459ad6bba.jpg

Busy show indeed. Did good on sales. And took few requests from collectors to hunt for books they want. Lots of kids dressed in scary suits. As usual, Negan is the popular villain around. I had seen 3 of them there. Glad one didn’t bat on me for a good deal in buying. lol

Sold a ASM #61 CGC 8.5 to pair of lovely ladies. Sold lots of cheap readers. So far, it went good. 

I found a vintage toy I had when I was a boy. Thrilled to see it still in original packing box with manual! Imagine a 50-years Canadian print box with this toy in there. At good price 

Traded one book for two Green Lantern early issues to add into my collection.  Eegbeeva zombined me into buying up another two more books I can’t say no. Means I would be back in February for them. :facepalm:

Finished up with good food and wine at mom’s house.

see you again in February 2018! 

Busy show. Overall retail sales trend almost the same for me as Hallowe'en 2016 meaning there was a drop off compared to the summer Van Comic Show.

Was very happy to pick up a SA G.I. Combat classic grey-tone cover from Fan Boy, as I having been searching for a decent, clean copy for 8 years. Biggest surprise was to see up close :cool: a very low grade Detective Comics #31 walk in the front door. Met 2 Asian collectors I have not seen in the back issue market for over 5 years. greggy stayed awake passed lunch hour! :angel:

Must be that burgers. I noticed in taste had improved a bit. Guess that got Greggy awake.

Next show should be good with the 3rd room open up. I gotta kick up a notch with good stuff to bring in. 

On 10/30/2017 at 6:28 AM, Fan Boy said:

Next show should be good with the 3rd room open up. I gotta kick up a notch. 

3rd hall opening will bring the total # of vendor's tables to close to 170. I get the feeling the 3rd room will be mostly toys, action figures, Pop figures, anime, thus a mini Van Fan expo for breadth of Pop Culture :golfclap: selection. I can't figure out where all these comic vendors would come from to sell out the Feb. 25, 2018 Van Comic Show when HH con has problems filling 40 vendor's tables.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:26 PM, Fan Boy said:

see you again in February 2018! 

I heard a few collectors complain about the $8 admission to the 2 hall Van Comic Show. I guess they do not realize that the 1 hall Bellingham comicon in Oct, 2017 charges $10 US at the door. The Tri-city Die Cast Collectibles show (kind of like HH but 2 floors and better lighting) in Pitt Meadows Nov, 2017 charges $7 at the gate. Yes, HH con only charges $4 admission but you get way less vendors and publicity. :fear:

24 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

3rd hall opening will bring the total # of vendor's tables to close to 170. I get the feeling the 3rd room will be mostly toys, action figures, Pop figures, anime, thus a mini Van Fan expo for breadth of Pop Culture :golfclap: selection. I can't figure out where all these comic vendors would come from to sell out the Feb. 25, 2018 Van Comic Show when HH con has problems filling 40 vendor's tables.

Yes, that was what Evan said in email to me. With the building having four hall rooms. I think 3 rooms is the max for this show in February. The question I am wondering is whatever it can last with 3 rooms ongoing from there?

I thought $8 was totally fair. I spent a few hours there. Lots to look through. I think I spent 2.5 hours there. Didn't really look at any toys, figures or anime. They should really get more people at the door taking payments for the first hour and a bit. Line was way too slow at about 1125am. Get people in faster to spend their money. 

Seemed like a lot of the people selling at this show don't sell at the HH show. 

Only complaint I overheard was someone talking about comic  boxes being out of order. Thats something I don't have patience for. Looking to fill in runs using a list but titles are just all mixed together...ugh...drives me nuts. Not even alphabetical.  Id rather pay someone more money that has their stuff in order and makes it easier to go through. 

@aardvark88 So just a random person brought the Tec 31 to sell ? or was it a collector ? Whats the full back story? 

10 hours ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

@aardvark88 So just a random person brought the Tec 31 to sell ? or was it a collector ? Whats the full back story? 

Collector brought the Tec #31 in to make me drool. I owed him a favor, so will supply him at next HH con.

Also, I was guilty xD of having 2 recently restocked long boxes with titles in alpha order but should have been consolidated much better. Most of us are part-time weekend warrior comic vendors so may only have time to throw what they wish to sell in long boxes without title tags, etc.

Attendance for the show seemed noticeably down.  There are times during these shows, normally, where it is hard to move through the aisles. I didn't really see that happening this time. 
The selection of books seemed to cater to Ham n Eggers. @greggy was understandably bored before the show even opened.