• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to take great artwork photo's?

24 posts in this topic

Alright, here's a scan of the Brother all-in-one that arrived today, linked above at a very affordable $150 CAD.

This is at 8% magnification (original scan is huge), unedited in Photoshop. 1200dpi, uncompressed TIFF. This thing is shockingly good!

Only con is the thing is massive, but it does have wifi, so you can store it wherever you like.

scan-example.jpg?format=3000w

scan-example.jpg

I have used a number of scanners over the years from the Mustek to Brother and Epson. The Mustek is very low end its ok of scans for the internet but the software is very weak and the scanner is poorly made. It can breakdown not really worth the money. I have used Brother AIO scanners they are much better but if you use it for colour it isn't that accurate. The best scanner for under $500 I have found is the Epson 7610 and 7620. Both are very good scanning BW and colour art and photos. The difference is in the printing the 7620 allows you to feed 13x19 stock from the back. I sometimes print blueline drawings on bristol if I want someone to ink a piece separate from the original pencils.

For highend I also have a Epson 10000XL which is one of the best on the market, its no longer in production replaced by the 11000XL which is still very good but optical quality isn't as good as its predecessor. 

The Epson 7610 is about $250 and the 7620 is about $330. Both are excellent. 

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-7610-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00JXLGETI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508280682&sr=8-3&keywords=epson+7610

https://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-WF-7620-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00JXLGELG/ref=pd_cp_229_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0B41B0VDMK423CDM5KP3

I was eyeing the Expression but they were like 2K+ USD :( I’ve read they’re the best and what Grafitti Designs uses when they scan artwork for Gallery Editions.

Anyhow, shocked and very pleased by the ridiculously good quality of the Brother, so I am pleased :) Thanks for the info, all.