• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brick Bradford 6 Standard Comics vs Better Publications?

8 posts in this topic

So this is interesting... I got my copy of Brick Bradford 6 graded by CGC and decided to check the census out of curiosity. What I found was that this copy was put under "better publications" for the publisher and is the only one in the census under "better publications" yet there are 28 out there under the publisher "Standard Comics."

Are there really 2 publishers for the same book or is this just a QC error?

Here's the book, there are no visual differences on the cover that I have noticed. 22532007_10210777590495696_719011612_o.thumb.jpg.c9ec5dfc353967b3b7a04aa014043b5c.jpg

22550732_10210777584055535_1947608301_o.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 11.09.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 11.09.39 PM.png

Yep. From GCD:

Better Publications of Canada

1948 - 1950
< Previous | 1 | Next >  #:   
Canada

Total Number of Series: 40 Total Number of Issues: 124  

Notes: Canadian reprinter of Standard comics during a time when importing American comics into Canada was not allowed. See Standard (http://www.comics.org/publisher/1972/) for the American issues.

Based at 36 Toronto Street, Toronto, Ontario.  
Edited by N e r V

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Yep. From GCD:

Better Publications of Canada

1948 - 1950
< Previous | 1 | Next >  #:   
Canada

Total Number of Series: 40 Total Number of Issues: 124  

Notes: Canadian reprinter of Standard comics during a time when importing American comics into Canada was not allowed. See Standard (http://www.comics.org/publisher/1972/) for the American issues.

Based at 36 Toronto Street, Toronto, Ontario.  

I don't believe that is all Betters are Canadian editions.  I have complete runs of America's Best, Black Terror, exciting, Fighting Yank, Startling, Thrilling and Wonder.  All are issues are graded except for one book.

I have many Betters that are not CGC noted as Canadian nor are they the a Canadian editions.  

I believe Ned Pines (Pines Publishing was the parent company) of Standard, Nedor, and Better.   I guess the Better line could have been printed in Canada as US editions and then distributed in the US.  I had always thought it which series or the date it was published as to whom published it but I never researched it.  I quickly looked through all of the Thrillings and Startlings and they Betters and until it turns to Standard.  Looking quickly through the Black Terrors, they are Nedors. 

I believe at one point all the titles were switched to Standard with the flag emblem.

It seems though that I have multiples of one book (same issue) with one noted as Better and the other as Nedor but I may be wrong on that.  I know for all the over 400 issues (which includes lots of graded dupes) none are identified as Canadian edition as the example of my Crime Reporter shows.

I also thought some CGC copies show Pines Publishing but again I may be wrong on that as I did look closely enough.

I am no historian so my assumptions are just that.

Here are some examples showing the different publisher.

1611122133451.jpg

0711120819571.jpg

1411121927161.jpg

1201171046211.jpg