• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #35 (Larson Pedigree) no longer PLOD
1 1

166 posts in this topic

I see conserved in the same way I see restored and even if I'm aware of it any blue label books that had restoration scraped away.   Pay what you want but they are all books that have been worked on.   

And they all have their place.

GA?

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, lou_fine said:

+1

This is why I have said all along that CGC should have gone with the uni-color label right from the get go, in combination with both a 10-point condition grading system along with a 10-point restoration rating system.  This way, potential purchasers would have had all of the required information to make a fully informed purchasing decision.  And at the same time, all of the books (both restored and unrestored) would have been on a level playing field without any stigmatization being affixed to a particular grouping of books.  (thumbsu

Although I am sure that the colored labels were implemented with all good intentions, it unfortunately resulted in significant unintended negative consequences on the restored books.  Even though Borock attempted to correct this mistake when he started up the other grading company through his use of uni-color labels, it was too late as the concept of multi-colored labels were already too entrenched into the grading mind frame by that point in time.  :frown:

Absolutely, 100% spot-on Lou Fine. Best comment I have seen in 10 years on the Boards to sum up restoration and the  cause and result  of it's stigma.

3 hours ago, theeone29 said:

still new to the boards, but still confused CGC in my opinion isn't being consistent in there grading. 

Unfortunately for all of us here, inconsistency in grading is to be expected and totally understandable due to any and all of the following factors:

-  grading is a completely subjective process, as opposed to being a scientific or objective process;

-  CGC's grading standards are unpublished and as such, can change over time for any of the following reasons:

-  a change in their grading teams;

-  an ever changing shift in their business agenda;

-  in response to what is happening with their competitors and market share;

-  being a business, also in response to what is happening with both their top and bottom line; and

-  undisclosed and subtle, but critical changes in how specific defects affects the final grade to address the above concerns.

I am sure that I must be missing a few, but the bottom-line is that the hobby and the marketplace are both still far and away better served with having the grading companies here, than without having them here.  You just have to know that nothing is ever perfect and as long as you are aware of the shortfalls, you should be able to roll with the punches.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, theeone29 said:

still new to the boards, but still confused CGC in my opinion isn't being consistent in there grading. 

Do you mean in terms of the numerical grades they assign books or in terms of how they categorize Universal, Conserved, and Restored books?