• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action comic 8 error on ebay

29 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Timely said:

No error, you are incorrect. This is a coverless Action Comics #8. If you read the 1st page visible, the story correlates to the story title "Superman in the Slums" listed on GCD.

Action Comics #17 has the story title "The Return of the Ultra-Humanite".

[Reposted due to being hidden]

I think you are wrong that it is not an error.

The real debate is between Action 8 and 9.  "Wanted Superman" from Action 9 is described by the GCD thusly:  "Superman, having torn down a slum area so that newer, more modern apartments could be built, is labeled as a crook by the Chief of Police, who assigns Detective Reilly (better known as "100% Reilly" because he always gets his man) to bring the Man of Tomorrow in."

That fits the first page of the coverless comic being sold on eBay talked about in the OP.  I cannot link it because the address uses the dreaded four letter name of a competitor.  Search "Action 8 coverless" and you will two graded copies pop up.

The first page of the other coverless Action 8 on eBay fits the GCD description of the first story in Action 8 that "Superman decides to get involved in a case involving wayward boys being used by a petty criminal, who uses the boys to steal items from wealthy people that he can sell for quick cash...all at their expense" :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1938-DC-8-Coverless-0-3-/311979318660?hash=item48a36a9d84:g:NpgAAOSwi7hZ3~nW

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I cannot link it because the address uses the dreaded four letter name of a competitor. 

Ah ha.... that's why my post was hidden. I was trying to post the same thing. There is also a graded coverless AC9 from a different seller (same grading company) and it's the same book as the AC8 in the OP.

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I used to own an Action 9 so I know for sure 100%, that's why I posted this thread.  Superman lifting the tank on the 1st page is an image you can never forget.

You are correct.

I double checked more than one copy of each book before posting.

You are 100% correct.

18 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
23 hours ago, Timely said:

No error, you are incorrect. This is a coverless Action Comics #8. If you read the 1st page visible, the story correlates to the story title "Superman in the Slums" listed on GCD.

Action Comics #17 has the story title "The Return of the Ultra-Humanite".

[Reposted due to being hidden]

I think you are wrong that it is not an error.

The real debate is between Action 8 and 9.  "Wanted Superman" from Action 9 is described by the GCD thusly:  "Superman, having torn down a slum area so that newer, more modern apartments could be built, is labeled as a crook by the Chief of Police, who assigns Detective Reilly (better known as "100% Reilly" because he always gets his man) to bring the Man of Tomorrow in."

That fits the first page of the coverless comic being sold on eBay talked about in the OP.  I cannot link it because the address uses the dreaded four letter name of a competitor.  Search "Action 8 coverless" and you will two graded copies pop up.

The first page of the other coverless Action 8 on eBay fits the GCD description of the first story in Action 8 that "Superman decides to get involved in a case involving wayward boys being used by a petty criminal, who uses the boys to steal items from wealthy people that he can sell for quick cash...all at their expense" :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1938-DC-8-Coverless-0-3-/311979318660?hash=item48a36a9d84:g:NpgAAOSwi7hZ3~nW

Right.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think cbcs got confused because the first page of the Action 9 story is about Superman and the slums and the first story in Action 8 is titled (by GCD) "Superman in the Slums."  

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Right.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think cbcs got confused because the first page of the Action 9 story is about Superman and the slums and the first story in Action 8 is titled (by GCD) "Superman in the Slums."  

Aha!   I have seen Action 8 and 9 get mixed up several times in the past, and never knew why until now.