• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most widely desired comic book for $100?
2 2

109 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

as I expected. the most interesting comment to me is that so few looked at the wall. sometimes I feel the same about our wall.

It was actually shocking to pay attention to if people were looking at the wall or not so I could point out the give-away.  I'd say 80-85% of people didn't bother to look up from the boxes when looking for books.  I must have had 100 people flip thru my slab box and ended up selling 1 book.  I think people just like seeing cool comics in slabs and feeling the weight of the slabs with no intent on buying anything.  I'd point out the few slabs on the wall (which I rotated through out the weekend) to the slab flippers and they would kind of get a shocked look at the fact there was a whole wall of books in the back.  It seems like all of us on the boards spend so much time concentrating on wall books that it shocking to see how little the rest of the hobby cares about the higher priced books.

9 hours ago, comicquant said:

I would go with something like a higher grade raw FF #39 or #57.  FF #5 is such a wanted book right now and just the association of Doom with the Fantastic Four makes them both a desirable Doom app to own.     

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_39.jpg

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_57.jpg

After this attempt I think the only book I would try it again with is a NM 98 at a bigger Con like the Cleveland Wizard World show.  The smaller show just does not have enough bigger buyers necessary to make it worth while in my opinion.  I'm definitely considering setting up in March so I'll let people know if I go for another trial run of the book give away.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

It was actually shocking to pay attention to if people were looking at the wall or not so I could point out the give-away.  I'd say 80-85% of people didn't bother to look up from the boxes when looking for books.  I must have had 100 people flip thru my slab box and ended up selling 1 book.  I think people just like seeing cool comics in slabs and feeling the weight of the slabs with no intent on buying anything.  I'd point out the few slabs on the wall (which I rotated through out the weekend) to the slab flippers and they would kind of get a shocked look at the fact there was a whole wall of books in the back.  It seems like all of us on the boards spend so much time concentrating on wall books that it shocking to see how little the rest of the hobby cares about the higher priced books.

Bingo.

Not speaking personally to you, but in general at cons (and even LCSs) so many walls are priced for show not for sale. Even assuming there's some wiggle room in the prices for haggling or deal-making, so many walls are so utterly overpriced that the average collector has basically been taught to not even bother looking there.

As an aside, I wonder what the volume turnover of wall books and back-issues at LCSs or dealers at a con are? Compared to standard non-collectible retail stores which have very high volume of sales but lower margins-per-sale, I wonder what the volumes are like for (apparently) high margins-per-sale for dealers selling collectibles at LCSs or cons? Just thinking out loud.

14 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I must be in the minority then.  The first thing I look at are the wall books.  In my experience, I can judge if a booth has what I am after by looking at the wall books first.  Then I will go into boxes.  This isn't always the case, but it usually is.

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I must be in the minority then.  The first thing I look at are the wall books.  In my experience, I can judge if a booth has what I am after by looking at the wall books first.  Then I will go into boxes.  This isn't always the case, but it usually is.

I agree!

I think members of this forum are different from the general comic con attendee though.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I don't think you should do anymore raffles...IMO, if it doesn't work during this trail run, I doubt it will do any better at a bigger convention... just save that 100 bucks for a good meal afterwards... You will probably do the same in sales either way.

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I think that's true.  We are the elite of the elite.  :p  The first thing I do is run through the walls of booth to see what I can get.

It is also the prevailing belief that the books on the wall are "expensive" The average con attendee is not incorrect in that thought, what they know less about is market value.

So to that end they likely stick to the deals in the boxes.

Edited by Artboy99

On 10/19/2017 at 9:11 AM, 1Cool said:

What comic book would you pick that would be most desired by the general public and collectors?

A blank cover variant of any title, with the interior replaced with 22 pages of 3-ring binder card protector sheets stuffed with $100 bills.