• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential New Archie Pedigree Collection?

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a friend who has a girlfriend whose Mom has a big Archie Collection.  The collection dates back to the late 1950's, and it's original owner.  The lady that owns it is well in her 70's and is a completest with the runs organized and cataloged.

Anyway, my friend has been selling comics lately with my help, and they are offering the collection to him.  All of them are seeking my guidance because they know I'm into comics.

My question is about the market for Archies.  I know how to identify the keys, and I'm thinking I can look at some Registry sets to get a feel for what's rare in high grade.   

I'm looking for recommendations here.  What's hotter in books from this era?  Pep?  What else, other than the keys, like first Cheryl Blossom, First Sabrina, etc. should I pay close attention to?  I know to look for "sexy" covers and covers that have sexual innuendo.  I have a dirtier mind than I should have, so I'm sure I'll be able to spot those. :)

Also, I've heard some of these are in real high grade....read once and carefully filed.  How does one make a collection a pedigree?

Last, what's a fair price to pay for a collection like this?  I am guessing something like 1/3 of ebay prices of individual books?  I would think it would have to be low enough to make some money wholesaling portions of the collection to dealers since it's supposed to be a very large collection.  I want to be clear that I want to be fair to the seller....very fair.

No, I don't have pictures.  Only descriptions  of the collection.

Edited by Westy Steve

The value of this collection is going to depend almost completely on condition. There are a few books that will be worth something in any condition (e.g. Archie's Madhouse #22, Josie #1), but a lot of them will be common in VG and rare in NM, with a commensurate price spread. Feel free to PM me to discuss this collection further.

Very cool. Hope you get them. I have been reading and collecting Archie’s since the mid 70”s and feel comfortable offering an opinion. Rather than go through them all and price them out individually you may be better off compiling a list of keys, grading and pricing them and then offer 50% of that value for the entire collection. There are way to many books from the late 50’s on that have no real sales history. Does that make them rare or just too cheap to have a sales history?  I am assuming these are all original owner books so none of the most desirable 40’s and 50’s books will be there. For the last three decades I have been buying long runs of 60(‘s high grade Archie titles for less than a buck a book off eBay

Getting  CGC to pedigree this collection will be a long shot. i looked into getting  a very high grade 3000 book mid silver to early bronze  OO collection of mostly Marvels pedigreed and cgc was unimpressed  good luck with the buy!