• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

key collector comics, what happenned??
3 3

61 posts in this topic

wondering what happened to the forum post(s) re the info and app for key comics, I know that the developer came on a little strong and may have rubbed some members the wrong way initially but actually the app is really pretty neat and hate to see anyone with new ideas feel they are less than welcome here. But I noticed that posts were removed and wondering why? 

Edited by anstettoman

You didn't hear it from me, but I think the Stasi disappeared his 'did I do something wrong' thread but the others are probably still around.  A lot of folks liked the ap (if not the disingenuous method of self-promotion), and I think the dude was rightfully proud of the results of all his hard work.

1 hour ago, anstettoman said:

wondering what happened to the forum post(s) re the info and app for key comics, I know that the developer came on a little strong and may have rubbed some members the wrong way initially but actually the app is really pretty neat and hate to see anyone with new ideas feel they are less than welcome here. But I noticed that posts were removed and wondering why? 

I enjoy the app quite a bit , was just using it a few mins ago to find more Christmas presents for myself!

15 minutes ago, Fiddy said:

I believe some of his threads are still up, just not all of them.

I think that he only has three or four threads about the exact thing left.

seriuosly though, it’s pretty nice for a free app

He said he manually reviewed past 6-months of sales on ebay of raws... damn, that's a lot of books and data!

It's a nice clean app and I like it, but I wonder about the amount of work it'll take to keep the updates (and sort through the ebay-grades).

Thanks to this app I recognized Superman Adventures 5 (first appearance of Livewire) and was able to buy it on the cheap from some guy. I came to look at a comic collection. This guy had no idea what he had, he got them in the will when his cousin died and had no interest in reading them. He lives a half hour away and wouldn't give me an estimate of what price range he was selling them for or give me any photos so I went into this thing blind. I get there and they were 90s-early 2000s comics that weren't bagged and boarded and they were stored in old wine boxes. Most were in decent shape though. While I was looking through them the seller mentioned that someone had already came, picked out a box of stuff from him and bought it. Sure enough it was pretty picked over. I told him he shouldn't do that as people will just pick out the best comics and leave him with the drek. I gave the guy what I would consider to be a pretty good offer for the collection, to which he seemed offended. He wouldn't tell me how much he wanted, just that it was much higher then what I offered. He then offered I fill up a box and then we can talk price on that box (even though I had just told him how people take advantage in that situation).

An important detail here: this guy was an total jerk. He kept yelling at his kids who were just playing and got angry at his wife when she told him to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. He also watched over me like a hawk the whole time.  It was awkward. I wasn't using the key collector app but I recognized Superman Adventures 5 from seeing it in the app before.  So I decided screw it, I'm going to take the couple valuable comics I noticed, throw in some comics I want to read, and see what he prices it out at.  So I throw in Superman Adventures #5, Runaways #1, along with some early X-Force, Books of Magic, some Star Wars Comics and a Hulk TPB. All in all I had about 75 comics. I offered the guy 40 bucks to which he again looks offended. He says he wants 70. I offer that he can take out some comics and bring it down to 40. He takes out the 10 Books of Magic comics and Hulk TPB.  Which was fine with me, as both of those I just sort of threw in on a whim. 

Man that story is longwinded, sorry about that. My point is that the app is great, it helped me recognize a valuable comic and made the half hour drive to this guys house worth it.  Well it would have been worth it just for Runaways #1, but it made it extra worth it. 

18 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Thanks to this app I recognized Superman Adventures 5 (first appearance of Livewire) and was able to buy it on the cheap from some guy. I came to look at a comic collection. This guy had no idea what he had, he got them in the will when his cousin died and had no interest in reading them. He lives a half hour away and wouldn't give me an estimate of what price range he was selling them for or give me any photos so I went into this thing blind. I get there and they were 90s-early 2000s comics that weren't bagged and boarded and they were stored in old wine boxes. Most were in decent shape though. While I was looking through them the seller mentioned that someone had already came, picked out a box of stuff from him and bought it. Sure enough it was pretty picked over. I told him he shouldn't do that as people will just pick out the best comics and leave him with the drek. I gave the guy what I would consider to be a pretty good offer for the collection, to which he seemed offended. He wouldn't tell me how much he wanted, just that it was much higher then what I offered. He then offered I fill up a box and then we can talk price on that box (even though I had just told him how people take advantage in that situation).

An important detail here: this guy was an total jerk. He kept yelling at his kids who were just playing and got angry at his wife when she told him to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. He also watched over me like a hawk the whole time.  It was awkward. I wasn't using the key collector app but I recognized Superman Adventures 5 from seeing it in the app before.  So I decided screw it, I'm going to take the couple valuable comics I noticed, throw in some comics I want to read, and see what he prices it out at.  So I throw in Superman Adventures #5, Runaways #1, along with some early X-Force, Books of Magic, some Star Wars Comics and a Hulk TPB. All in all I had about 75 comics. I offered the guy 40 bucks to which he again looks offended. He says he wants 70. I offer that he can take out some comics and bring it down to 40. He takes out the 10 Books of Magic comics and Hulk TPB.  Which was fine with me, as both of those I just sort of threw in on a whim. 

Man that story is longwinded, sorry about that. My point is that the app is great, it helped me recognize a valuable comic and made the half hour drive to this guys house worth it.  Well it would have been worth it just for Runaways #1, but it made it extra worth it. 

I think this is exactly why some people didn't like the idea of the app.
I really don't care one way or the other, unless you were the guy before me using the app. to hawk some books I would have already known about. But I suspect that will rarely happen on a local basis.

18 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

You got lucky - pretty soon that seller will have the app and will have grabbed out all the key books before you and the other guy got there.  Great for him but bad for you.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, anstettoman said:

This might answer your question.  I can't even post about a comic book question without getting reported and shut down by "Fine Collector".  I have three warnings.   I didn't even mention my app in this post. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.b21bed8ba297dde0ea6cca908367f029.PNG

There's no reason why they  got removed except for the fact that some people don't want this to be seen.   I'm not making any money on this  I spent 2 years working on the database.  I'm not saying here and there. I mean, I gave up a lot of personal stuff to do this.  I didn't release it to make money or I would've charged for it.  I don't have a business model set up for it.  Honestly, if anyone does have an idea of how I can at least make my money back on it, I'd love to hear it.  But I'm not going to start charging for it or put ads up.  I want everyone to have access to it and not for a pat on the back or pride like some have suggested but because I wanted it myself and would've done it anyway.  I thought it could be a nice contribution back to the comic book world that I've received so much enjoyment from since 1989 when I started collecting. 

Some people don't feel the same way.  They want it all for themselves.  There are a lot of comics out there in the world and regardless of either possessing a vast breadth of knowledge or having an app to lend a hand, you still need to have the passion for the hobby, seeking out collections, hitting the same stores in hopes something pops up, scouring craigslist etc.  No one is putting that effort in unless they love the way it makes them feel to look at a cover of something finite in a brand new Mylar bag, safe where it belongs in their care. And who knows where the S.A. #5 would’ve wound up if Shawn hadn’t rescued it. I'm happy he was able to take that home from a guy who didn't give a damn about the book.  What did I get out of that? See what Key Collector Comics mobile app can do for you!

Oh was that a plug? Sure!  Why not?!  Its a comic book forum! Its a free app that is directly related to what the forum is directly related to.  Its a good thing.  I'll tell you what (whoever is reading) I haven't had one negative comment anywhere but on the CGC boards and all because I spammed without knowing I was even doing it to such a degree that it would take over the conversation.  I've reached out in personal emails to people I shot back at and apologized to the ones who were upset by my posting. 

And really...how much did I post?  BUZZETTA DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT WE WERE TALKNG ABOUT AND HE HAS OVER 20,000 POSTS...I'm pretty sure he's on the board with enough frequency to catch wind someone was a real pest. 

But I even apologized to Fine COllector and the guy didn't even reply.  He wants to ambush something because he has an opinion. His opinion. He doesn't like the app because people with less knowledge can now have the same opportunity as him to find a book in the wild...A comic app.  Yet another thing he doesn't want other people to have because he has it all in his head.  Well some people don't have that kind of memory.  I mean, doesn't everyone see how selfish it is?  Yet I'm being called a disingenuous self-promoter?  How am I promoting myself? I'm promoting something that people have been really happy to have and I don't need credit for it.  I'm the messenger to deliver it, nothing more.  Think what you want.

Anstettoman, I wish your sentiment was true but the post that got removed had over 3,000 views and I can tell you, by and large, the comic community is not supporting this.  I wish you all would.  If I came off bad in earlier threads its because I'm passionate about this.  Im not in the business of mobile app development.  I'm not in the comic industry.  I have a good job that I enjoy but this was supposed to be fun and not just for me.  Luckily there are a lot of collectors who are enjoying it even though this guy is trying to shut it down.  I just don't get it man.  You live in Gatineau Canada?!  How can this effect you that much in Gatineau? If you're worried about the retailer? I can send you 10 comments from retailers and their customers who are using this as a marketing tool and its bringing them NEW BUSINESS.  That's the truth.  Go on my facebook or instagram and look around.  Its open to the public, just like the app.  

With your knowledge, with everyone's...we can actually contribute to making it a pretty nice resource for people.   Build on the spark of interest that the movies are creating and imbed it into sustaining the comic book collecting hobby.  Look I know most of you don't want to hear from me.  And you don't have to.  Just pass on to the next thread.  But hey, I love you all...even Dr. Doom.     

Edit: I'm still trying to get the answer to that Shuma-Gorath question...

Edited by Key Collector Comics

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, grebal said:

You didn't hear it from me, but I think the Stasi disappeared his 'did I do something wrong' thread but the others are probably still around.  A lot of folks liked the ap (if not the disingenuous method of self-promotion), and I think the dude was rightfully proud of the results of all his hard work.

Its not disingenuous self-promotion.  Im not promoting myself and because I presented a pretty mild question that people decided to debate about doesn't make it disingenuous. But thank you for how you ended the reply.  You softened me up man.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:26 PM, Ryanfromottawa said:

I enjoy the app quite a bit , was just using it a few mins ago to find more Christmas presents for myself!

Ryan from Ottawa...you're the man! Thank you sir.  But stay out of those Gatineau flea markets.  Those comic books have first right of refusal.