• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So now Rob Leifeld has issues with CGC & others at cons

64 posts in this topic

At Tucson Comic Con this weekend a saw a sign that had this handwritten: 

Autographs for fans: FREE

Dealers and resellers: $5

CGC: $30

I am seeing more signs like that recently. If a creator wants to charge those fees, that's up to him/her. There have been many threads on this board now about this topic. I chose to get a free autograph on a TPB. It does lead me to get fewer signatures.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

If you say so.  Do you know Stan or his handlers?  From your statement you seem to have inside information on the artist, the creators, and their handlers. 

None of the above, I have just attended cons for decades and saw Stan signing for free with epic lines. Totally anecdotal information. If you know him, or his handlers, and have alternative info feel free to share.

If anyone else has been charged by a comic creator to have a book signed before SS became a thing they can chime in. 

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

None of the above, I have just attended cons for decades and saw Stan signing for free with epic lines. Totally anecdotal information. If you know him, or his handlers, and have alternative info feel free to share.

If anyone else has been charged by a comic creator to have a book signed before SS became a thing they can chime in. 

I don't believe that they charge due to CGC or whomever.  They charge because they can and fanboys will pay what they charge.  The fanboys are the ones that drive the market.

1 hour ago, srezvan said:

At Tucson Comic Con this weekend a saw a sign that had this handwritten: 

Autographs for fans: FREE

Dealers and resellers: $5

CGC: $30

I am seeing more signs like that recently. If a creator wants to charge those fees, that's up to him/her. There have been many threads on this board now about this topic. I chose to get a free autograph on a TPB. It does lead me to get fewer signatures.

I can’t say as I blame them.  They are now playing in a market that CGC created, and that didn’t exist before then.

To do otherwise would be foolish.  The trick, however, is finding the right balance of what to charge which particular market segment you’re serving.