• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your deal breaker?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

There was a piece I was considering bidding on in the next HA until I read that it was Sunstruck. There is a lot I can get past but a piece that has seen too much Sun is a deal breaker for me. Art shouldn't see any Sun at all. So what is your deal breaker if any? 

In illustration art, it is brushed-on adhesive outside the art.

In comics, excessive, browning tape, page tanning, faded markers.

I don't mind stats or cutouts or paste-ups. That's all part of the frenzy of production.

For wheeling and dealing, let's see... Getting Pretty Woman'ed by snotty reps.

Also, making a fair offer on a Make An Offer piece and then the seller getting insulted... I can't read minds. Come back with a counter-offer already.

9 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

In illustration art, it is brushed-on adhesive outside the art.

In comics, excessive, browning tape, page tanning, faded markers.

I don't mind stats or cutouts or paste-ups. That's all part of the frenzy of production.

For wheeling and dealing, let's see... Getting Pretty Woman'ed by snotty reps.

Also, making a fair offer on a Make An Offer piece and then the seller getting insulted... I can't read minds. Come back with a counter-offer already.

They give you credit cards to go on a shopping spree? hm

Modern OA may have the pen and ink on Bristol board but (e.g. Howard Chaykin) the shading or cross-hatching that appears on the printed comic is not on the OA, as it was added on later by computer. Overall impact of the OA is weaker. :shy:

Comics:

1. Low PQ

2. Faded by Sun

3. Heavy chipping

Art:

1. Faded Inks

2. Overlays with art on them

3. Stat Panels without original art underneath

Autographs:

1. Personalization where I cant remove it

2. dark area signing.

2 minutes ago, Michaeld said:

This I find surprising. Even if the art on the overlay is by the artist himself?

yep, doubley so if the overlay is partially opaque. I want art on one piece of paper, one layer.

Inks on digital with no original pencils (though I feel I’ll be forced to accept this soon) and who the seller is.

There’s one rep I won’t bother emailing any more, because he simply never responds. How you can do that when clients are trying to buy your artist’s art at asking is beyond me.

Also, considerable damage, whether fading, creasing, etc. I don’t know how some of you guys can toss around a 5 figure page, no Mylar, like a hot potato lol

Edited by Mr. Machismo

Marker use for me, but that falls under the fading bucket.

I turned down a top 5 piece not so long ago due to what I saw as a large amount of white out.  That and the price, would would have been 5x my biggest ever purchase.  So maybe it was price, and the whiteout was my excuse!

I'm sensing a lot more resistance based on physical OA condition issues than ever before, at least judged by this message board sampling.  Is that because a lot of you have migrated over from comic collecting and it's condition centric orientation?

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

14 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I'm sensing a lot more resistance based on physical OA condition issues than ever before, at least judged by this message board sampling.  Is that because a lot of you have migrated over from comic collecting and it's condition centric orientation?

Scott

All other things being equal, I care about condition... but in a world of one of one, my personal opinion (shared by many as best I can tell) is that condition is what condition is. You either want the art or you don't.

The other side of it for me, being primarily a modern / new art collector, is that new art just doesn't have a very good story for being in anything other than pristine condition. I mean... how did that happen? I'll just buy another page from the same book, there are over 20 still available on the rep's site, so why not? So, for me, somewhat similar to comics, the older something is the more leeway I give it. But in general... I either love the art or I don't.

I don't really think I have one per-se.

Fading can be an issue, but I think with proper care it can be mitigated from further deterioration.  If it's already faded, that might be a problem.

tons of 80's and 90's art has literally BIC pens and sharpies.  if those are deal breakers for you, it'll make collecting very difficult at times.

Some of my Invisibles pages were done with both (the horror!) and look just fine still, 20+ years later.  who knows about another 20 years, but so far they look A-OK.