• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie art: any fans and collectors here?
2 2

190 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I think I've gained a greater appreciation for how Stan Goldberg drew female characters.

Here is a bikini cover from Archie's Double Digest #189 where he drew the girl in the foreground almost photorealistic:

Stan Goldberg - Archie's Double Digest #189 Comic Art

In the colored version she looks like this (irish?):

http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_36379/subcat_75975/ADD_189_color.jpg

Edited by Caltex98

35 minutes ago, Caltex98 said:

Here is a bikini cover from Archie's Double Digest #189 where he drew the girl in the foreground almost photorealistic:

Stan Goldberg - Archie's Double Digest #189 Comic Art

In the colored version she looks like this (irish?):

http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_36379/subcat_75975/ADD_189_color.jpg

When I wrote what I did, I fogot to include Stan's great likeness drawing skills. I wanted to direct link you to a post from a few years back, but noticed the images don't show up due to Photoshop changes. Hope you guys don't mind, but this is Stan's work on Kathy 24 (1963) - I have the first 5 pages of the complete story, but skipped to the 2nd part which demonstrates his likeness of Frank Sinatra, Ed Sullivan, Johnny Carson, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (who mentions "Jack" not being able to attend), Cary Grant, Elizabeth Taylor, Robert Goulet, Fred Estaire and a few others. More a footnote, but while the artwork is stamped March, the comic wasn't published until August, which was three months before the Kennedy assassination.

Kathy_24_pg8_sized.jpg

Kathy_24_pg9_sized.jpg

Kathy_24_pg10_sized.jpg

Kathy_24_pg11_sized.jpg

8 hours ago, comicwiz said:

When I wrote what I did, I fogot to include Stan's great likeness drawing skills. I wanted to direct link you to a post from a few years back, but noticed the images don't show up due to Photoshop changes. Hope you guys don't mind, but this is Stan's work on Kathy 24 (1963) - I have the first 5 pages of the complete story, but skipped to the 2nd part which demonstrates his likeness of Frank Sinatra, Ed Sullivan, Johnny Carson, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (who mentions "Jack" not being able to attend), Cary Grant, Elizabeth Taylor, Robert Goulet, Fred Estaire and a few others. More a footnote, but while the artwork is stamped March, the comic wasn't published until August, which was three months before the Kennedy assassination.

Interesting. One tends to sometimes forget how versatile some artists are. If the publication had been delayed any further it might had never seen print...

Here are a few examples of how Dan DeCarlo handled the daily Archie strip. First three which I suspect are from the 1970's since there are no copyright text with the year on them. Note how DeCarlo didn't let the strip format prevent him from making his usual beautiful drawings, only a bit smaller (I think he inked them himself). Some of them are genuinly funny, too:

DDstrip_8-13.thumb.jpg.da552fe690fb51afc849be099fa494bf.jpg

Veronica goes from zero to b***h in three panels.

DDstrip_7-20.thumb.jpg.3e48c442f9c200571f3cf6c424d86135.jpg

I really like the third panel in this strip.

DDstrip_7-17.thumb.jpg.f2ba1aa0ba7662a7fbfa6883c1c6b2bb.jpg

This could have been made with only talking heads, but DeCarlo didn't take the easy way out.

Next is a strip from 1986:

DDstrip_86-10-30.thumb.jpg.89ea61ff0751c92e1f11790685713cc3.jpg

The original size is smaller, which affects how much detail DeCarlo bother to draw. A little less compared to the ones from the 70's.

A really late strip from 1994:

DDstrip_94-2-23.thumb.jpg.e445ab566045b5dd769db06cd65e2b4b.jpg

The gag being both visual and verbal made me laugh out load when I saw it for the first time (which sealed the deal).

10 hours ago, Caltex98 said:

Interesting. One tends to sometimes forget how versatile some artists are. If the publication had been delayed any further it might had never seen print...

Here are a few examples of how Dan DeCarlo handled the daily Archie strip. First three which I suspect are from the 1970's since there are no copyright text with the year on them. Note how DeCarlo didn't let the strip format prevent him from making his usual beautiful drawings, only a bit smaller (I think he inked them himself). Some of them are genuinly funny, too:

DDstrip_8-13.thumb.jpg.da552fe690fb51afc849be099fa494bf.jpg

Veronica goes from zero to b***h in three panels.

DDstrip_7-20.thumb.jpg.3e48c442f9c200571f3cf6c424d86135.jpg

I really like the third panel in this strip.

DDstrip_7-17.thumb.jpg.f2ba1aa0ba7662a7fbfa6883c1c6b2bb.jpg

This could have been made with only talking heads, but DeCarlo didn't take the easy way out.

Next is a strip from 1986:

DDstrip_86-10-30.thumb.jpg.89ea61ff0751c92e1f11790685713cc3.jpg

The original size is smaller, which affects how much detail DeCarlo bother to draw. A little less compared to the ones from the 70's.

A really late strip from 1994:

DDstrip_94-2-23.thumb.jpg.e445ab566045b5dd769db06cd65e2b4b.jpg

The gag being both visual and verbal made me laugh out load when I saw it for the first time (which sealed the deal).

All awesome. Great point re: talking heads (phoning it in) vs. sexy bikini B & V (and thank god for Dan giving fans this treat over and over and over again for fifty odd years!)

I've always found each artist brings a different dimension to the female characters. Al Hartley's Betty and Veronica have always set the bar high, but then Dan DeCarlo brings a different style that isn't as sultry, but attractive in a different way. Stan Goldberg's female's are easy on the eyes. I won't deny the appeal of any of their work, but the humor and gags are what have always drawn me in to everything Archie, and I've always felt Samm Schwartz (especially throughout the 60's) was the best at writing and drawing humor. Anyhow, here's a few pages - I know I have one of Veronica undressing somewhere, but it's hard not to be partial to Betty here:

BettyampVeronica_pg1.jpg

BettyampVeronica_pg2.jpg

BettyampVeronica_pg3.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

I've always found each artist brings a different dimension to the female characters. Al Hartley's Betty and Veronica have always set the bar high, but then Dan DeCarlo brings a different style that isn't as sultry, but attractive in a different way. Stan Goldberg's female's are easy on the eyes. I won't deny the appeal of any of their work, but the humor and gags are what have always drawn me in to everything Archie, and I've always felt Samm Schwartz (especially throughout the 60's) was the best at writing and drawing humor. Anyhow, here's a few pages - I know I have one of Veronica undressing somewhere, but it's hard not to be partial to Betty here:

BettyampVeronica_pg1.jpg

BettyampVeronica_pg2.jpg

BettyampVeronica_pg3.jpg

:luhv:

I agree. Beautiful pages :) 

A great thread about Archie art.  I picked up and read most Archie comics back in the 1970s.  Betty & Veronica were always my favorites! Here is one of my favorite Archie covers in my collection and a little background about it!

April 1989, Veronica #1 Cover, Dan Parent pencils/Dan DeCarlo inks, “Veronica in Paris”,
This is the 1st issue cover of the Veronica series, which began in April 1989 as the only Veronica comic, and it ended with issue #210 in February 2012; This series ran an incredible 23 years.
This is also the 1st cover ever drawn by Dan Parent for Archie Comics; I am honored to be the 2nd custodian for this cover, as it was in Dan Parent’s possession since 1989. It was extra special to Dan as it was inked by Dan DeCarlo, who is considered THE Archie artist for decades and basically defined the “Archie Look”; I drove out to Pennsylvania one morning in 2015 and picked it up directly from Dan Parent, who I know for a number of years and is one of the nicest guys in comics.
Dan Parent started the series back in 1989, and incredibly drew it till 2012, after a 210 issue run. There were short periods where Dan DeCarlo and Stan Goldberg pitched in for covers and some interiors, but it was mostly Dan Parent’s series! Incredible, indeed!
I read Archie comics in the early 1970s and read them voraciously. Veronica was always my favorite, even though Betty was the perfect girl for Archie. I always rooted for Veronica even when she was mischievous and spoiled, which was quite often.
Veronica or “Ronnie is the only child of Hiram Lodge, the richest man in Riverdale, and his wife Hermione Lodge. She is tall, slender and attractive with long black hair, favoring expensive, up-to-the-minute fashion. In some comics, Mr. Lodge claimed that he moved his family to Riverdale in order to avoid Veronica becoming spoiled, like many of the children he knew and grew up with. His plan did not succeed as well as he had hoped. Veronica is often seen going on spending sprees and pretty much shopping until she drops, and burning major credit cards in the process. (Once she bought out an entire shoe store to prevent any other girl from buying a pair of shoes that she herself wanted!) At times, Veronica's vain and conceited attitude infuriates her father to the point that he has to somehow "teach her a lesson" and Veronica is forced to get a job of some kind or loses access to Archie.

parent - veronica 1 cover.JPG

12 minutes ago, nkatradis said:

Veronica or “Ronnie is the only child of Hiram Lodge, the richest man in Riverdale, and his wife Hermione Lodge. She is tall, slender and attractive with long black hair, favoring expensive, up-to-the-minute fashion.

I acquired this daily mostly for the appearance of the Archies, but then I realized I wasn't able to recall Mrs. Lodge making many appearances in comics - to your comment, she's even wearing a fur coat:

suLm0G6T_3011162233061gpadd[1].jpg

Edited by comicwiz

10 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I acquired this daily mostly for the appearance of the Archies, but then I realized I wasn't able to recall Mrs. Lodge making many appearances in comics - to your comment, she's even wearing a fur coat:

suLm0G6T_3011162233061gpadd[1].jpg

Very nice strip! Wow, I guess she aged poorly.  I should change the description! lol

4 hours ago, nkatradis said:

A great thread about Archie art.  I picked up and read most Archie comics back in the 1970s.  Betty & Veronica were always my favorites! Here is one of my favorite Archie covers in my collection and a little background about it!

April 1989, Veronica #1 Cover, Dan Parent pencils/Dan DeCarlo inks, “Veronica in Paris”,

Very nice! I remember seeing the cover to Veronica #2 (in Africa) out on eBay some years back, but I can't recall if it was sold. The asked price was in my opinion rather steep (but today I might reconsider). I have been lucky enough to be able to acquire page 2 from that particular issue, though (inks by Hy Eisman):

http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_36379/subcat_73545/VERONICA_2_p2.jpg

Veronica's hair looks a little longer than usual? I like that Dan bothered to make her wear a hairband with a pattern  matching the african environment...

Here are two pinup-pages from Cheryl Blossom #16, both from the drawing board of Dan:

Dan Parent - Cheryl Blossom #16 - p23 Comic Art

Dan Parent - Cheryl Blossom #16 - p26 Comic Art

Conversation with Dan at San Diego Comic Con:
Dan: Cheryl is not a nice person.
Me: She's kind to her dog!
Dan: But besides that she's not supposed to have any redeeming qualities at all!