• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MEGACON Orlando May 24-27, 2018
1 1

130 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kevin Boyd said:

It would be nice to fix some of the errors and issues. I'm hoping that with the move off of Memorial Day we can revive CGC's annual tradition of offering on-site grading which appeals to fans, collectors and dealers alike. 

Now this would be something that would get me excited and others around these parts. That would be a huge move if it could happen

Wow, looks like another big con going the way of many. Very few vintage comic book dealers. A media show where the only ones making money are the promoters. Hey no slam on them, it's their business and I get it. Luckily, there are a lot of smaller comic book centric shows popping up all the time. Sure suks though. At least this show doesn't have the word "comic" in it. I wonder how well a strictly cosplay show would do? Is there such a thing?

Kevin,

Thank you for a great show. The crowds were huge all for days and sales were great. The lineup of comic guests was very good this year. There were a lot of comics in the room. With a show this big it's  going to seem like there were to few comic vendors but there was a great selection of comics from 50 cent boxes to $55,000.00 Amazing Fantasy 15's and everything in between. I do have a couple of complaints though. The boothes are supposed to be 10x10 boothes and you provide tables that are 8 feet long and two feet wide. on my corner booth when I put the 8x2 ft table along the front and the other 8x2 across the side with the tables butting up to each other, that is 10 ft long and my tables were a good 6-8 inches over the tape. The other item that needs attention is load out. You send around a flyer to every booth with load out instructions. Your booth must be packed up before you can get a dock pass to bring your vehicle to the loading dock. It doesn't take me long to pack up so I can usually have my pass in about 30 minutes. Yet when I go to get my vehicle, there is a line 1/4 mile long on trucks and vans waiting to get in, none of which have passes. When I drive around to the gate and show them my pass, the guard tried to tell me I would have to go to the end of the line and wait to get in. I don't think the instructions are getting to everyone involved in the load out procedure. I had a friend who also had his load out pass and the gate guard told him he would have to go to the end of the line and that it would be a 3 1/2 hour wait even though none of the vehicles in the beginning of the line had a load out pass. This problem could be avoided if everyone involved knew what the load out protocol was and no was allowed to line up to get in without a load out pass. Thanks

6 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

It would be nice to fix some of the errors and issues. I'm hoping that with the move off of Memorial Day we can revive CGC's annual tradition of offering on-site grading which appeals to fans, collectors and dealers alike. 

I thought that CGC had gone exclusive with Reed for on-site?

45 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I thought that CGC had gone exclusive with Reed for on-site?

It’s not a true on-site. Even CGC had issues the few times they tried running books back nd forth from the show. Traffic gets so congested it prohibits you from even getting to the loading docks in a timely manner. 

10 hours ago, joeypost said:

It’s not a true on-site. Even CGC had issues the few times they tried running books back nd forth from the show. Traffic gets so congested it prohibits you from even getting to the loading docks in a timely manner. 

The more I think about it I still wonder whether this sort of “off site on-site” grading would violate the exclusivity agreement with Reed. I guess we will see. 

On 5/29/2018 at 9:01 PM, pastandpresentcomics said:

Kevin,

Thank you for a great show. The crowds were huge all for days and sales were great. The lineup of comic guests was very good this year. There were a lot of comics in the room. With a show this big it's  going to seem like there were to few comic vendors but there was a great selection of comics from 50 cent boxes to $55,000.00 Amazing Fantasy 15's and everything in between. I do have a couple of complaints though. The boothes are supposed to be 10x10 boothes and you provide tables that are 8 feet long and two feet wide. on my corner booth when I put the 8x2 ft table along the front and the other 8x2 across the side with the tables butting up to each other, that is 10 ft long and my tables were a good 6-8 inches over the tape. The other item that needs attention is load out. You send around a flyer to every booth with load out instructions. Your booth must be packed up before you can get a dock pass to bring your vehicle to the loading dock. It doesn't take me long to pack up so I can usually have my pass in about 30 minutes. Yet when I go to get my vehicle, there is a line 1/4 mile long on trucks and vans waiting to get in, none of which have passes. When I drive around to the gate and show them my pass, the guard tried to tell me I would have to go to the end of the line and wait to get in. I don't think the instructions are getting to everyone involved in the load out procedure. I had a friend who also had his load out pass and the gate guard told him he would have to go to the end of the line and that it would be a 3 1/2 hour wait even though none of the vehicles in the beginning of the line had a load out pass. This problem could be avoided if everyone involved knew what the load out protocol was and no was allowed to line up to get in without a load out pass. Thanks

I saw that long line of trucks. I'm forwarding your message completely over to the exhibitor manager and show management to review and address with the OCCC. 

Were the tables 8x2 or 8x2.5? They looked like standard 8 foot tables which are 2.5 feet deep (or 18 inches) so an L shape would end up approximately 6 inches over 10 feet in length.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

23 hours ago, mysterio said:

The more I think about it I still wonder whether this sort of “off site on-site” grading would violate the exclusivity agreement with Reed. I guess we will see. 

I was at Nickel City last year in Buffalo and had my books graded onsite. That was actual on-site grading.

When they did it at Mega in the past they took the books back to Sarasota and then drove them back when encapsulated so the cut off would be a lot earlier. It's more like same weekend grading as opposed to on-site, which is done at the facility.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

7 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

I saw that long line of trucks. I'm forwarding your message completely over to the exhibitor manager and show management to review and address with the OCCC. 

Were the tables 8x2 or 8x2.5? They looked like standard 8 foot tables which are 2.5 feet deep (or 18 inches) so an L shape would end up approximately 6 inches over 10 feet in length.

They looked 8x2 to me. I brought my own 6x2.5 and it was definitely wider then the tables provided.

On 5/29/2018 at 6:30 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, looks like another big con going the way of many. Very few vintage comic book dealers. A media show where the only ones making money are the promoters. Hey no slam on them, it's their business and I get it. Luckily, there are a lot of smaller comic book centric shows popping up all the time. Sure suks though. At least this show doesn't have the word "comic" in it. I wonder how well a strictly cosplay show would do? Is there such a thing?

akways wondered the same thing. they are like attention barnacles feeding off the gawk's and stares from other attendees. there has to be cosplay only shows but you probably have to bring your A-game to those.  I feel comic cons allow the cosplay hobbyist and newby to test out their costumes in a less competitive and more forgiving environment. 

maybe we should start attending the cosplay-only shows and walk around with a bunch of comics in boxes and then plop down in the middle of an aisle or photo op area and try to negotiate sales with each other while  blocking traffic and ruining photos of cosplayers.  see how they like it.