• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I meet a Comic Book Fan..!
4 4

56 posts in this topic

And sadly we have nothing in common...

:sorry::/:o

Is Amazing to me, how people who share the same hobby
had so little to share.

This is the story,
2 weeks ago I have a new co-worker.
My manager know I am a Comic Book Fan
as soon as  he discover the new guy share the same interest
he introduce us,
we begin to talk
and was like we have each a different language.

I talk about CGC and SS; he don't know what this is...
I mention OA; he say he cannot afford it....
He was talking about almost every new comic release this Wednesday and the current story arc;
and I don't have visit a comic book store in years (I go only to buy supplies).
He don't know who is Kaluta, Buscema or Gil Kane,  
but he talk with fervour about  Flash Thompson being Venom,
he is reading Wonder Woman but he never read the George Perez Run (which I love).

And so on and on, I am 47 and he is 29,
but the gap, the collecting, the reading habits, it's so different, almost abysmal.

I just want to share this...
Anyone had a similar story?

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

I have a seventy one year old in my class. When I mentioned I collect comics, he said he did too.

He told me he had almost six hundred, some of them very old. When asked what his oldest book was, he thought it might be The Death of Superman. Or maybe Lobo 1.

54962_20060730192909_large.jpg

I doubt it.

No. that's not it. This guy is amazing.  He's of an age where he wasn't allowed in certain establishments in his hometown and dropped out of school to join the Army.

Went to school on The GI Bill and joined the Navy. Spent 26 years working with electronics and retired. He and his wife took in a foster child  and twenty years later has nine adopted Special Needs children and fostered dozens more. He's going to school to learn how to write requests for grants so he and his son can open a ranch for  urban Special Children to spend a few weeks in the country.

Anyway, he never read comics until his first foster son. 

5 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Why limit your disappointment to the meeting of other comic book fans? My title would have been "I meet another person..." :sorry:

Why be disappointed at all?  Not having something you thought you did in common is unexpected, but the care is the same.  It's just the details, caused by time, that are different.  The medium has to change or die. you really want the new generation to like that last generation?  That will kill the industry.  it's an opportunity to teach and to learn, and see the progression.

24 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

He mention the age in his first post;

Actually what I think he was asking was when this guy STARTED reading comics which he says when he adopted his first foster son.  So likely 40-50 years old-- interesting that he would start then and amazing he stuck around since that was the drek of the industry (Death of Superman I'm looking at you).

On the opposite side of things.  When I was at NYCC this year at Gator's booth a 17 year old was spending fairly big money on a 1.8 restored comic.  That young and buying a very old book that I had little knowledge of.  Wish I could remember what it was.

8 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Anyone had a similar story?

Sure. Happens quite frequently in fact. That's a testament to the breadth and depth of the hobby that some other enthusiast can do a deep dive in the hobby and yet barely know your side of comics. He's probably saying the same to his buddies going like: "This guy at work said he loved comics but he hasn't read any current one in years. Comic fan! Yeah, right ..." :baiting:

6 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

Why be disappointed at all?  Not having something you thought you did in common is unexpected, but the care is the same.  It's just the details, caused by time, that are different.  The medium has to change or die. you really want the new generation to like that last generation?  That will kill the industry.  it's an opportunity to teach and to learn, and see the progression.

I know. I was being flippant, as usual. You're right, each generation has its era and that's what they will naturally gravitate to.  Music is similar. In a few decades time, the younger guy will be our age and will be saying the same thing when he meets a younger guy who's 'mad about comics' but doesn't know who Stan Lee is. Or the Beatles. Etc. We can all love comics, but in different ways. Do you think I can get anyone even remotely interested in L Miller indicia variants?  No, and this on a board with 35,000+ comic enthusiasts. But I know that a few people like the fact that I like it, so the support is there after a fashion. Funnily enough, every UK dealer I try to talk to about pence variants glazes over. You think I'd find a kindred spirit there wouldn't you. Maybe I'm just boring. 

Release the hounds!

My collecting is too niche.  I don't know anything about the Marvel universe nor do I care to either.  Which is why I rarely post here as these boards are very marvel-centric   I collect mainly DC with some Gothic subculture inspired indies in the mix.  I collect DC animated comics which rarely gets much attention buy comic readers as it is too kiddie.   I should have Batman in common with comic fans but they tend to like the things about the Dark Knight that makes me cringe a bit.  I like the Adam West and BA version over the Dark Knight Returns one.  

Honestly, I rarely find much in common with people in general lately.  But it is great that this hobby is so vast, it can suite just about any niche that exists.  That is extended to life too.  I am not going to limit myself just because it isn't popular or current. 

You just have different ways of appreciating the medium.  You're a collector.  He's a reader/fan.   Maybe you can turn him on to some of the "classics" that he hasn't read?  

I have a co-worker as well that likes comics.  He's not a "collector" though.  His best book is also a Supes 75 (his gf got it for him as a b-day present).   He loves it.   He's got the Marvel Online subscription, so basically has access to all the stories.   I've recommended some stuff to him and he's enjoyed it (Simonson Thor, Miller DD, Bendis DD).  

Being here, we tend to forget that 99% of the collecting world either doesn't know about or couldn't care less about graded books or certification.   I'd bet my buddy wouldn't care one bit if his Supes 75 was signed by Dan Jurgens and not in an SS slab.   

8 hours ago, drotto said:

On the opposite side of things.  When I was at NYCC this year at Gator's booth a 17 year old was spending fairly big money on a 1.8 restored comic.  That young and buying a very old book that I had little knowledge of.  Wish I could remember what it was.

There's a few guys on Instagram that don't look over 30 that buy monster books all day long.  I have no idea what they do, but I do see them post here sometimes, albeit infrequently.

@domuhnator

@Murkadellik

@shortboxed

@streyouttacomics

Had the same type of experiance a few times., Most relevant was joining a comic book group on meetup. few of us met up to talk about comics and have a few drinks and was a disaster. Different ages , Everyone collected something different. Like different comic companys , DC , Marvel etc , different genres. etc.  I was talking about collecting bronze and silver age , no one cared  , another wanted to talk about  who was stronger superman or hulk , no one cared , another wanted to talk about a storyline like watchmen (No one else cared) . Another wanted to discuss the Marvel Cosmic universe and no one cared. i think met one more time without me and broke up afterwords.  I have run into people over the years who find out I collect and its either , Yeah I got alot of old classic books like Death of Superman and Spiderman clone books or they say they have a collection and its going to put there kids through college and then they mention Death of superman,  Brigade # 1 etc.  I have no comic book friends , all my friends are connected to me by sports and music.