• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect Nov auction
4 4

187 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Harold,

I believe that book has had more than a little work done to it.  

Looks like it was printed yesterday. 

I would love to have it :censored: it does look like it was just printed.

2 hours ago, Hudson said:
2 hours ago, woowoo said:

Peter look don't you just love it.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=755924

Harold,

Hadn't noticed you guys had already seen the book so I started another thread. Maybe whoever owns their Tec 27 9.6 will buy this one too.

Edited by Gotham Kid

49 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hadn't noticed you guys had already seen the book so I started another thread. Maybe whoever owns their Tec 27 9.6 will buy this one too.

I only saw it because I clicked on Harold's link in this thread.

8 hours ago, jhm said:

They sure look like the same book to me. Damage across the top is identical. The spine damage points are nearly identical if you assume some color touch occurred. Even the discoloration on the spine is the same.

Not trying to be argumentative, I just think it's important not to dismiss this sort of thing.

This sale ensured that I'll personally be staying away from books graded by that company.

Sale #1

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=652911

Sale #2

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=738425

PGX is terrible at catching restoration, and clearly they don't hand out brittle page designations that readily. With the jump in prices on classic cover books, I'm not sure the results would have been different with the CGC slab though. The book has nice eye appeal, and the cover is what it's all about, whatever the grade. I've seen some auction results where PGX books did pretty well, but with GA collectors in particular I think you lose bidders when you put a book in a PGX slab.

14 hours ago, rainmaker said:

I was going to ask what the hammer was on the SS6.  Any copy is a great copy but that thing hammered over $5k?!?!  wow.  if that is the case this book has seen an incredible ppp rise in 2017.  

It wasn't much over, $5045 or something. I thought I was going to comfortably win with a 4K max bid. I was going to crack it out a have a reader copy. Guess that's not going to happen now.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, miraclemet said:

I wanted to bid harder on the Punch 9, but I assumed that since it's in a PG Ech slab, there's some missing restoration (I assumed there's color touch).

A case for the "grader" Hurting the final price....

I was thinking the same thing.  It looked nice but I am always wary of missing pages, missing restoration and who knows what else with PG ech books.  

16 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It looked nice but I am always wary of missing pages, missing restoration and who knows what else with PG ech books.  

On a book like that (low grade) and all you just buy the book not the grade/grader. Nothing wrong with a raw book just go in thinking its been played with.(shrug) 

37 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'm surprised no one has said anything about that big come-down in price on the All Star Comics 3, 7.0.  From $69k last December , to $40k this auction.  

-J.

Ouch !

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

On a book like that (low grade) and all you just buy the book not the grade/grader. Nothing wrong with a raw book just go in thinking its been played with.(shrug) 

I was definitely thinking like that and put in a few bids.  But when the price started jumping, I did get concerned about things like missing pages.  But a little resto would have been fine with me.  The cover did look nice though!

17 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

I was definitely thinking like that and put in a few bids.  But when the price started jumping, I did get concerned about things like missing pages.  But a little resto would have been fine with me.  The cover did look nice though!

Great cover if it was in the 350 range the cover would do even if a page was gone.

Edited by woowoo

20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
22 hours ago, Hudson said:
22 hours ago, woowoo said:

Peter look don't you just love it.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=755924

Harold,

You shouldn't wish that fate on anyone! :baiting:

On 12/11/2017 at 10:19 PM, rjpb said:

PGX is terrible at catching restoration, and clearly they don't hand out brittle page designations that readily. With the jump in prices on classic cover books, I'm not sure the results would have been different with the CGC slab though. The book has nice eye appeal, and the cover is what it's all about, whatever the grade. I've seen some auction results where PGX books did pretty well, but with GA collectors in particular I think you lose bidders when you put a book in a PGX slab.

As a ga collection you have to know by now there is really only one reason a seller would put a Cgc book in a pgx holder...and that reason should be obvious