• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clink Auction Started tonight
2 2

113 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Such beautiful line work. What a gem.

I wasn't planning on bidding on this Frazetta but it was so nice - I feel it was very well bought - congrats!

The Anacleto upshot, wow - it takes 2 to make that happen - I imagine it will be tempting to do more of these - a more typical pose would be what, 1/3 or that one?

I was after the Pollard FF200 page but just picked up a page from 199 so didn't drive the price on that one even higher - I believe that was a record price for a Pollard FF Panel.

Mark

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I own a Byrne IF page that cleared 5-figures at auction a few years ago.  I know of other non-UXM Byrne pages that have cleared that hurdle as well (both public & private sales).

I actually didn't even blink twice over this IF page result.  That's the OA market these days.  (shrug)   

My comment was out of line, I realize now.  I'm sure I was subconsciously lumping in IF 14 & 15 with his UXM stuff.  But I had totally forgotten all that MTU stuff with Austin he did and the Avengers stuff with all those top tier characters (I don't know why - I'm a huge Byrne nut!).  I even remember that recent MTU page that sold recently.  I think I was totally fixating on his FF pages for some reason.  

I guess I'm about a week late to this thread, but I wanted to chime in with a few random observations and see if folks feel the same way or differently:

• Neal Adams Action Comics 468 cover = $10K and Tec 408p1 = $6.5K.  So these are both kind of neat, and probably won't check off all of the boxes for hardcore Adams collectors, but none the less, were prices soft on these two offerings? 
  • Bolland covers --> She Hulk 14 cover = $8.2K & Robin #3 cover = $5.5K, plus Camelot 300 #1p9 splash = $5.2K.  Honestly, its been a while since I've seen one Bolland cover for sale publicly, let alone two in the same auction and quite frankly, I don't recall the result of the last sale, so can someone more in tune with Bolland values provide some guidance?
  • Buckler PPTSS #119 cover = $12.5K.  This was a very memorable cover for me and represents the tail end of my fanatic Spider-Man zombie years when I purchased anything and everything with Spider-Man on the cover.  I was a player around $8K and a bit surprised to see it end at $12.5K.  Then again, the less interesting PPTSS #113, also by Buckler, sold recently for $9K.
  • Byrne MOS #6 splash = $19.75K & Superman #4p1 splash = $10.25K.  Just. Wow.  The cover to Action 584 sold for $25K, and everything else kind of follows suit... up, up, and away, eh?
  • Dillon Preacher 60p7 = $2.8K.  Alright, this one's quite late in the run, but its still a significant page whereby Jesse and SOK come to some sort of an understanding so at $2.8K, this one went cheap, right?  Or is everyone dumping pages cause the TV show missed the mark?
  • Geiger Hulk 337 cover = $15.3K.  Steve Geiger wasn't a household name, but did turn out some decent covers over a few years at Marvel.  Some of his Web of Spidey covers were nice (Web 29 with Wolverine & Web 30 featuring the Origin of the Rose come to mind), and he also illustrated several of the Incredible Hulk covers during McFarlane's run on the title.  So, if a McFarlane Hulk cover sells for $40K, is a Geiger cover substantiated at $15K?  Are there other factors (non-X kind) at play?  I mean, this cover *IS* 30 years old and in that timeframe that appeals to folks my age.
  • Starlin Avengers Annual 7p43 = $13.3K...worthy of comment? High, low or just right?
  • BWS Machine Man 3p19 = $1.9K.  So, unless this is a BWS re-touched page or something like that, I'd have to say this was the steal of the auction, right?  Last page sold for north of $7K and this one ended just shy of $2K.  Bit of a head-scratcher.

30 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I guess I'm about a week late to this thread, but I wanted to chime in with a few random observations and see if folks feel the same way or differently:

• Neal Adams Action Comics 468 cover = $10K and Tec 408p1 = $6.5K.  So these are both kind of neat, and probably won't check off all of the boxes for hardcore Adams collectors, but none the less, were prices soft on these two offerings? 

Neal Adams material seemed to had fallen flat in the last Heritage and CL auctions

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Buckler PPTSS #119 cover = $12.5K.  This was a very memorable cover for me and represents the tail end of my fanatic Spider-Man zombie years when I purchased anything and everything with Spider-Man on the cover.  I was a player around $8K and a bit surprised to see it end at $12.5K.  Then again, the less interesting PPTSS #113, also by Buckler, sold recently for $9K.

Geiger Hulk 337 cover = $15.3K.  Steve Geiger wasn't a household name, but did turn out some decent covers over a few years at Marvel.  Some of his Web of Spidey covers were nice (Web 29 with Wolverine & Web 30 featuring the Origin of the Rose come to mind), and he also illustrated several of the Incredible Hulk covers during McFarlane's run on the title.  So, if a McFarlane Hulk cover sells for $40K, is a Geiger cover substantiated at $15K?  Are there other factors (non-X kind) at play?  I mean, this cover *IS* 30 years old and in that timeframe that appeals to folks my age.

Hulk #337:  Not many covers out there with Hulk and the X-Men.  So if that appeals to you, then there's not many other options.  Geiger is solid...doesn't necessarily bowl me over but he doesn't turn me off to the piece either. Nice inks by McLeod, and yes, it is aging into a nice vintage item :preach:.  Looks clean and in fairly good shape.  I was hoping this one would've slipped a little further under the radar where I could've had a realistic shot at it. 

PPTSS #119:  This is a memorable cover.  But I preferred that PPTSS #113 cover with black-suited Spidey crashing through the window, which also exceeded my available budget at that time (the art page, not the broken window).  Back to #119, is Sabretooth still considered a top-tier character?  I'm sure he surpasses the grungy guy in a halter top on #113, but is he still an A-list rogue?

10 hours ago, The Shoveler said:

Hulk #337:  Not many covers out there with Hulk and the X-Men.  So if that appeals to you, then there's not many other options.  Geiger is solid...doesn't necessarily bowl me over but he doesn't turn me off to the piece either. Nice inks by McLeod, and yes, it is aging into a nice vintage item :preach:.  Looks clean and in fairly good shape.  I was hoping this one would've slipped a little further under the radar where I could've had a realistic shot at it. 

PPTSS #119:  This is a memorable cover.  But I preferred that PPTSS #113 cover with black-suited Spidey crashing through the window, which also exceeded my available budget at that time (the art page, not the broken window).  Back to #119, is Sabretooth still considered a top-tier character?  I'm sure he surpasses the grungy guy in a halter top on #113, but is he still an A-list rogue?

The driving factor for me was that Sabretooth was a top tier villain back when I was collecting comics.  His current stature in the Marvel Universe has absolutely no bearing on what I was willing to pay for the cover.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:19 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The driving factor for me was that Sabretooth was a top tier villain back when I was collecting comics.  His current stature in the Marvel Universe has absolutely no bearing on what I was willing to pay for the cover.

Congrats!  Great cover pairing of Sabretooth with Spidey from my favorite period of PPTSS. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:33 PM, comix4fun said:

HARI!!!!

Ha!  I've been out of it but feeling the need to check back in lately!  But you can already see it's only once a month!  How you doing buddy?  Shoot me an email or text to catch up.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, delekkerste said:

Did someone not read that it was inked by Yeates and not Totleben???  Sheeessssshhhhhhhhhhhh...

Oh I saw all that.  I'm a fan!  Those early covers are awesome and the most classic ones are Yeates!!

3 minutes ago, heartened said:

Ha!  I've been out of it but feeling the need to check back in lately!  But you can already see it's only once a month!  How you doing buddy?  Shoot me an email or text to catch up.

Will do. It's been far too long.