• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1 Club
1 1

162 posts in this topic

There hasn't been many unrestored MC#1's for sale the last few years via public auction and definitely no high grade copies of note to pull the rest of the grades up like all the Action #1's and Tec #27's have done. Low grade copies are pushing $100k so I would say that is major progress. 

On 12/18/2017 at 12:50 AM, Moondog said:

Here are original photos from 1978 taken by the guy who sold me the Windy City collection.  It's a 9.0 today that Heritage sold in 2005 for $161,000. 

A million dollar book?  I think so...

WC Marvel 1.jpg

WC Marvel 2.jpg

WC Marvel 3.jpg

WC Marvel 4.jpg

How much do you think this copy would go for today?

Wow I have a coverless missing last page that I have had since early 80's. My pages light tan not brittle. I turned down 10k at wonder con 10 years ago and I don't think its worth 10k today hm I think sometimes you make good choices and sometimes you :tonofbricks:

52 minutes ago, circumstances said:

That copy had the BC though, which is big.

21 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I have a copy missing back cover and had no idea this was on ebay until now

three of the four CGC .5s on the census have no BCs if I recall correctly. Marvel 1 has a very unique back cover (inside BC telescope ad). I haven't seen it on another comic book. 

20 minutes ago, Primetime said:

three of the four CGC .5s on the census have no BCs if I recall correctly. Marvel 1 has a very unique back cover (inside BC telescope ad). I haven't seen it on another comic book. 

I have seen multiple copies that were missing only front cover (including one in a CGC slab) and I found a back cover in the pre-CGC days which I married to a loose front cover from the Jacquet estate (yes, one of the restored October copies out there has a front cover from the Jacquet estate).   I also heard there were several coverless copies with back cover so figured I would happen on another someday for my nbc copy.   Would have bid on this had I known about it.  

Re the cover's uniqueness, some centaur collector told me there is a dupe cover inside and out on some obscure book, but may not even be in the same month, so it stretches the limits regarding how appropriate or inappropriate one may consider marrying it.  

Either way, including this one today I have seen three distinct coverless copies with a back cover and only one of those ended up getting married to a front cover.   So I would not be so sure that existing back covers sans the front don't equal or outnumber the existing front covers sans the back.  

That said, I will not be all surprised if it proves all but impossible to get a back cover without the owner quoting a price for the back cover alone which is higher than I'd expect to get for my book with his back cover married to it.    That has been how things have rolled recently in the parts market.

Edited by bluechip

10 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I have seen multiple copies that were coverless with the back cover, and found a back cover once before many years ago which I married to a coverless cppy along a loose front cover from the Jacquet estate (yes, one of the restored October copies out there has a front cover from the Jacquet estate).   I also heard there were several coverless copies with back cover so figured I would happen on another someday for my nbc copy.   Would have bid on this had I known about it.  

Re the cover's uniqueness, some centaur collector told me there is a dupe cover inside and out on some obscure book, but may not even be in the same month, so it stretches the limits regarding how appropriate or inappropriate one may consider marrying it.  

Either way, including this one today I have seen three distinct coverless copies with a back cover and only one of those ended up getting married to a front cover.   So I would not be so sure that existing back covers sans the front don't equal or outnumber the existing front covers sans the back.  

That said, I will not be all surprised if it proves all but impossible to get a back cover without the owner quoting a price for the back cover alone which is higher than I'd expect to get for my book with his back cover married to it.    That has been how things have rolled recently in the parts market.

Centaur is quite possible since Jacquet loaned out his artists to Centaur, Timely, and Gleason. DC used very consistent BCs for the same month's books. I can't say the same for Timely as they all seem quite different inside and out. One Marvel 1 owner I know of has been waiting 7 years to find a back cover to complete his raw copy. 

Edited by Primetime

Just now, Primetime said:

Centaur is quite possible since Jacquet loaned out his artists to Centaur, Timely, and Gleason. DCs used very consistent BCs for the same month's books. I can't say the same for Timely as they all seem quite different inside and out. One Marvel 1 owner I know of has been waiting 7 years to find a back cover to complete his raw copy. 

In those seven years I have now seen two copies with back cover but no front on ebay.  The previous one was just about 7 years ago, maybe more or less, and I also missed it.    And there is no reason to believe I would be aware of others that could have shown up.   I rarely if ever search for it because if you type in "Marvel comics #1 1939" you will an absolute f&#k-ton of moderns and other meaningless "results"

The market for incomplete book versus the value of parts,  and the value of "restored" and "qualified" has gotten so out of whack that it's difficult to guess how much for fear that it's not possible to overstate its weirdness.

Got an Action 1 that is vgish but missing the contest page?   It gets a .5 universal grade and it's worth XXX.  

Found a contest page all by itself?   And it matches perfectly.  But it will cost XXX, as much as you'd get for the copy missing the page. 

But if you decide to buy it and marry the page to the one missing the contest page, the combo will be worth XXX minus 20 percent, because now it's a "married" book, in a non-blue label, which means it no longer exists!   

The people who tally books with great care to detail, constantly tracking the number of extant copies, tally only the number of "universal copies" which means the ruination of that Action 1 .5 which was formerly "universal" and missing the contest page has now been desecrated and rendered comic non grata.  It no longer exists.   

So what can the owner do?   Why, tear it apart, of course.  Tear the covers and the pages down the middle and sell them all separately.  It's totally acceptable because you're not doing something frowned upon, like improving or completing a book.  So instead of one non-existent non-"genuine" abomination imitation of Action 1, you have many fully accepted pieces of Action 1.    And you get a lot more for them.

On 12/17/2017 at 8:28 PM, Silver Surfer said:

There hasn't been many unrestored MC#1's for sale the last few years via public auction and definitely no high grade copies of note to pull the rest of the grades up like all the Action #1's and Tec #27's have done. Low grade copies are pushing $100k so I would say that is major progress. 

So if a copy missing front cover is worth 15K, how much for a copy missing back cover?