• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesn't Comic Link show a scan of the back?

29 posts in this topic

i said they dont have to because we are all bidding and buying the books in their auctions. you say you would not bid on a book without a back cover scan, but you're clearly in the minority of comic buyers. if no one bids, then they'll be alot more motivated to make changes. obviously it's double the time spent, so why would they spend money to do it if their business model seems to be working just fine? ( i totally agree with you that they should and find it super annoying)

On 11/18/2017 at 9:09 PM, FSF said:

The clear majority of CGC books on ebay seem to show a scan of the back.  I won't even consider bidding on an auction without seeing one.  Why does Comic Link rarely show one?  I can't be the only potential business they're losing by not doing so. 

I’m guessing here:

There’s no upside to showing the back.

It gives a potential buyer a reason not to buy the book.

A buyer who doesn’t care about the back will still buy.

A buyer who does care about the back may buy in the hopes it ends up looking good.

If you show the back to the buyer that doesn’t care, they still buy.

If you show the back to a buyer that does care, they may find a reason not to buy.

It requires twice the scanning time, and twice the digital storage.

(I show the back of the comic on all of my eBay listings).

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:09 AM, FSF said:

The clear majority of CGC books on ebay seem to show a scan of the back.  I won't even consider bidding on an auction without seeing one.  Why does Comic Link rarely show one?  I can't be the only potential business they're losing by not doing so. 

Their lack of back cover scans is the single reason that I've never bid on a single one of their auctions. 

As I stated in a previous thread, this is a hobby to me.......and once it becomes a hassle (like having to contact them to provide a back cover scan for every single book I may be interested in).......then it's no longer fun for me and simply not worth it.

1 hour ago, wormboy said:

I’m guessing here:

There’s no upside to showing the back.

It gives a potential buyer a reason not to buy the book.

A buyer who doesn’t care about the back will still buy.

A buyer who does care about the back may buy in the hopes it ends up looking good.

If you show the back to the buyer that doesn’t care, they still buy.

If you show the back to a buyer that does care, they may find a reason not to buy.

It requires twice the scanning time, and twice the digital storage.

(I show the back of the comic on all of my eBay listings).

I think that's a pretty good and thorough synopsis of the situation.  Except it is missing one possibly key component.  Many of the backs are undoubtedly fine and I would be happy to bid strong on them, as apparently might folks like Domo Arigato.  But they'll never see those bids and to some extent, and possibly more than they would like, it may generate less revenue than they otherwise might. 

4 minutes ago, FSF said:

I think that's a pretty good and thorough synopsis of the situation.  Except it is missing one possibly key component.  Many of the backs are undoubtedly fine and I would be happy to bid strong on them, as apparently might folks like Domo Arigato.  But they'll never see those bids and to some extent, and possibly more than they would like, it may generate less revenue than they otherwise might. 

Maybe Clinks analysis has concluded that people that are picky about back covers are lowball bidders anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.

I basically fit that category.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:35 PM, lizards2 said:

Maybe Clinks analysis has concluded that people that are picky about back covers are lowball bidders anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.

Ive been burned too many times with comiclink to not request a back cover scan or even a close-up or new front cover scan. I never buy a graded comic without seeing the back cover.

comic link doesn't volunteer back cover scans but they will send it to you if you ask.  the catch is that they will only do so once the auction for the item is already underway and you have to call. All my email requests were ignored.

I called for the back cover scan on some books from the last featured auction a week before the auction started and was told to call back when it started or a few days into the session since they wouldn't be able get it before then.  no explanation as to why but a week and a day later I called back and they took my request along with my email and also asked me to send them an email with the specific books. I sent the email to buysell@comiclink.com.  2 days later I received a reply from Colin@comiclink.com and had my scans.  6 confirmed my desire to buy and upped the bid, 2 confirmed my desire to underbid and the other 2 were so bad that I passed on bidding.

The only way to get comiclink to include scans with their auctions is if you bombard them with enough requests for back cover scans or bid low if they fail to provide them.

Edited by justafan
updated info

50 minutes ago, justafan said:
19 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Ive been burned too many times with comiclink to not request a back cover scan or even a close-up or new front cover scan. I never buy a graded comic without seeing the back cover.

comic link doesn't volunteer back cover scans but they will send it to you if you ask.  the catch is that they will only do so once the auction for the item is already underway and you have to call. All my email requests were ignored.

I called for the back cover scan on some books from the last featured auction a week before the auction started and was told to call back when it started or a few days into the sesion since they wouldn't be able get it before then.  no explanation as to why but a week and a day later I called back and they took my request along with my email and also asked me to send them an email with the specific books. 3 days later I had my scans.  2 confirmed my desire to buy and upped the bid, 1 confirmed my desire to underbid and the other was so bad that I passed on bidding.

the only way to get comiclink to do scans is if you bombard them with enough requests for back cover scans or bid low if they fail to provide them.

Good to know - thanks! (thumbsu