• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attribution of UXM 286

13 posts in this topic

Hi, a page of UXM 286 has recently popped up on a dealer website, with pencils attribution to both Lee and Portacio.  I have seen this in the past for other pages from this issue.  I know the credits in the book are inaccurate, as the inks are by Williams (as opposed to Thibert).  Anybody has any conclusive info as to whether indeed Lee did at least the layouts on this issue?

Disclosure: I have a vested interest as I own this nice DPS (or double interior page, as somebody might prefer), but I don't intend to sell anytime soon.  It is just to set the record straight.  I have tried in the past to verify with Moy but obtained no answer.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=610621

Carlo

@stinkininkin addressed this in another post after a page sold on Comic Link recently:

This issue of Xmen is a little weird.  Art Thibert is listed as the primary inker, but in fact, I was the primary inker.  Don't think Thibert touched any pages in this issue.  But because of deadline stresses, other artists were brought in to make this book ship on time.  Homage Studio artist Scott Clark penciled some pages, including this page in question.  Not sure Whilce even touched it (it looks nothing like Portacio) despite Portacio signing the original (happens all the time).  It's possible Portacio might have supplied rough layouts.  Additionally, I did not ink any of this page.  Not sure who did, but if Rubenstien is listed somewhere on the page as was suggested in a private message, he's probably the inker though hard to tell at this point in his career.  Hope that clears things up.

Scott

Not to derail the thread, but I thought the DPS acronym is correct regardless.  In my mind, it is either:

DPS = Double Page Splash (where both boards combined to show a single large image with no panels)

DPS = Double Page Spread (where both boards combined to form many panels)

That is just my own interpretation.   Does anyone else think the same as me?

Malvin

38 minutes ago, malvin said:

Not to derail the thread, but I thought the DPS acronym is correct regardless.  In my mind, it is either:

DPS = Double Page Splash (where both boards combined to show a single large image with no panels)

Malvin

Thats how I always saw it.  

If you're talking about the page that recently popped up on Cool Lines then that's the exact page that stinkininkin was referring to in his comment that Twanj posted above.  I asked about it because I won it in a ComicLink auction,  and was looking to clarify the inker.  Turned out not only was the inker listed incorrectly, but the penciller was as well (it was listed as Portacio pencils).  I was able to return the page for that reason.

I assume Cool Lines won the page when it was recently re-listed on ComicLink with pencils attributed to Scott Clark (http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1186448).  Rather than just go back to Portacio pencils they have now decided to throw Jim Lee in there for good measure as well.

Yeah, it was 25 years ago, but I'd still stick with stinkininkin's recollection over their claims, but I guess you never know.

Mike

5 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Hi, a page of UXM 286 has recently popped up on a dealer website, with pencils attribution to both Lee and Portacio.  I have seen this in the past for other pages from this issue.  I know the credits in the book are inaccurate, as the inks are by Williams (as opposed to Thibert).  Anybody has any conclusive info as to whether indeed Lee did at least the layouts on this issue?

Disclosure: I have a vested interest as I own this nice DPS (or double interior page, as somebody might prefer), but I don't intend to sell anytime soon.  It is just to set the record straight.  I have tried in the past to verify with Moy but obtained no answer.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=610621

Carlo

If you are trying to get confirmation that I inked the piece you linked to your gallery, I can 100% confirm those are my inks.  As for layouts, if the credits list Lee with layouts, it's a good bet that it is Lee layouts.  

Scott

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm no expert here and I don't own a single X-men page. Clicking on that first link to the DPS my first thought was Portacio / Williams.  However, page 24 doesn't look like either one of them (Portacio/Williams) to me. 

11 hours ago, Twanj said:

@stinkininkin addressed this in another post after a page sold on Comic Link recently:

FYI in case anyone searched that article for the piece in question, I removed the writeup on it after CLink cancelled the transaction.

10 hours ago, malvin said:

Malvin

+1

18 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

If you are trying to get confirmation that I inked the piece you linked to your gallery, I can 100% confirm those are my inks.  As for layouts, if the credits list Lee with layouts, it's a good bet that it is Lee layouts.  

Scott

Scott, thanks for the confirmation.  I was hoping to also get some insights on Jim Lee's role on that issue, but it looks like it will be difficult to get any positive attribution to individual pages.  So I will leave the credits to Portacio and Williams.  Still interested in hearing if people think there may be a touch of Lee on this DPS (yes, I think it is a DPS...)

Carlo

1 hour ago, NelsonAI said:

Jim Lee, Scott Clark, Whilce Portacio, Art Thiebert, Joe Rubenstein are all still alive and kicking.  Contact them through Facebook.  

Sadly, I believe Scott Clark passed away a few years ago.

Mike

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

Scott, thanks for the confirmation.  I was hoping to also get some insights on Jim Lee's role on that issue, but it looks like it will be difficult to get any positive attribution to individual pages.  So I will leave the credits to Portacio and Williams.  Still interested in hearing if people think there may be a touch of Lee on this DPS (yes, I think it is a DPS...)

Carlo

The layouts that Jim did on all these issues of Xmen were fairly loose.  Character placement with rudimentary structure without the detail.  Whilce would tighten up the pencils and add shadows and some texture before I would ink it.  That's what your Angel pages had.  The page that Coollines has skipped While all together, Scott Clark pencilled it, and then someone like Rubinsein or Milgrim or Wiacek would ink it.

Scott