• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Case Crack. Should I Reslab It?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a CGC graded comic I've been wanting for years, Giant-Size X-Men #1 (7.0). Unfortunately, I received a cracked case after being told there were no cracks present at the time of sale (see included photo). It's housed in one of those thicker older cases from 2009. I'm not sure if I should send it in for a reslab it or leave it as is. What are your thoughts?

IMG_1469.jpg

Well, since you didn't show the whole slab we have no idea as to how the slab looks. If it is in an older, scratched up slab I would say go ahead and reholder it. Otherwise, it looks like a tiny stress crack, it's not harming anything so I would leave it alone. If you do send it in for reholder I would get some financial assistance from the seller.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Well, since you didn't show the whole slab we have no idea as to how the slab looks. If it is in an older, scratched up slab I would say go ahead and reholder it. Otherwise, it looks like a tiny stress crack, it's not harming anything so I would leave it alone. If you do send it in for reholder I would get some financial assistance from the seller.

Here are some more photos. The crack is near the bottom left side area.

6B919D47-9FBA-452B-833F-2A13EDB44B99.jpeg

F00FBEF4-2EB4-4395-B601-839F4C6EE647.jpeg

0C816A30-EAAD-4E90-91B4-FF2F1ACCE6D7.jpeg

ACA29B6B-CB4D-48F1-BA62-B5CCA1CA6150.jpeg

BB396533-EFC0-4C7D-8681-DB897A7ACBD8.jpeg

8577DCE5-F8BB-460A-93A7-3EE2CDAE6943.jpeg

58529530-79FD-471D-8C43-6E56664B6561.jpeg

647E116D-C253-4BF7-86BE-8ABDBE5999E1.jpeg

Edited by finalfan7asy

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The case is somewhat dirty and has hairline scratches all over but nothing deep other than the obvious. It looks like it would cost over $40 to reholder the book (not including the shipping and insurance fee to send it to CGC). I'm assuming you don't need an upgraded membership to reholder correct? 

Edited by finalfan7asy

I would say a BIG YES. Send it in for pressing and re-slabing.It might grade higher.  It will be worth it....tHE NEW CASES ARE REALLY NICE.....To answer the other part of your question... A crack on an old case does not lower the books value in any way.

15 hours ago, finalfan7asy said:

The case is somewhat dirty and has hairline scratches all over but nothing deep other than the obvious. It looks like it would cost over $40 to reholder the book (not including the shipping and insurance fee to send it to CGC). I'm assuming you don't need an upgraded membership to reholder correct? 

No membership required, anyone can submit for a reholder. IMO, I would not spend the money, the crack is no biggie.

1 hour ago, Pizzafist said:

I would say a BIG YES. Send it in for pressing and re-slabing.It might grade higher.  It will be worth it....tHE NEW CASES ARE REALLY NICE.....To answer the other part of your question... A crack on an old case does not lower the books value in any way.

You want to press and resub everything.  :baiting:   The book has large stains holding it at 7.0 . A press would be a big WASTE of money and time. I do agree the new slabs look awesome.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You want to press and resub everything.  :baiting:   The book has large stains holding it at 7.0 . A press would be a big WASTE of money and time. I do agree the new slabs look awesome.

+1

Keep as is - it's a waste of money to reholder for this.

New thread here:  I have been having problems with the shipping of the 15 count box with a cardboard after every five holders.  When I send them to My Comic Shop I am told six out of the fifteen are chipped or cracked.  I bite the bullet, have them send them back in for reholders at $15 each and wait.  I called CGC (Brittany) and got a, "Well, those USPS guys just throw those boxes on the trucks, right in front of us!"  My though is, why don't they spend the extra and put a cardboard between each holder?  Why do the insist we sent in comics with "special care" when they don't send them back the same way?  I felt a tad bit put off by Brittany about my concern (extension 250) though she did say she'd put a note on my file about putting cardboard between every holder, she wasn't sure and couldn't ensure the guys in the shipping department would even read her request on my account.  Grrrr....  Geeesh!  What to do?  Do I try to get someone higher up??  Anyone else having this type of issue?  The cost for reholders is getting expensive in my opinion.  Well, weigh in here if you want.  Thanks!!

Edited by GarBear
needed editing for punctuation, etc.

8 hours ago, Pizzafist said:

The new slabs are nice. I’m afraid of doing anything to the book other than switching holders. I’m very happy with my 7.0 grade. 

The grader notes state: 

Bottom Back Cover Lite Indent Front Cover Stain
Front Cover Tape Pull
Left Bottom Back Cover Crease Spine Lite -Stress Lines
Whole Book Multiple Bend

I'm just glad there are no mentions of rusted staples.

31 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

Which would be a complete waste of money - it's not pressable defects that are keeping this book from a higher grade, it's the staining & tape pull.

Indeed. In fact, even with a press and resub, I would not be surprised to see it come back lower than 7.0 . That's a pretty big stain and they dislike tape pulls. I think it is overgraded @ 7.0 .

I’ve decided to reholder the book. The seller was understanding and covered the cost. 

Has any reslabbed a book before? I know they will give me a new label, but does the certification number change? I would assume not since they are not regrading the book.

Edited by finalfan7asy

On 11/27/2017 at 6:57 PM, finalfan7asy said:

I recently purchased a CGC graded comic I've been wanting for years, Giant-Size X-Men #1 (7.0). Unfortunately, I received a cracked case after being told there were no cracks present at the time of sale (see included photo). It's housed in one of those thicker older cases from 2009. I'm not sure if I should send it in for a reslab it or leave it as is. What are your thoughts?

IMG_1469.jpg

It's barely noticeable. Not worth the cost of a re-holder